Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By Pumilo
  • 3 Post By Kmc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2020, 04:24 AM

Default Dusting and feeding springtails as a staple.

Hello, I would like feed dusted springtails as a staple (for Reticulata) these will be cultured along side draft white ISO’s the tank of course will be seeded with springs aswell as seeded Isopods, and occasionally dusted mels will be supplied here and there.

Last edited by PumsAndThumbs; 06-22-2020 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Springtails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2020, 06:33 AM

Thanked 1,843 Times in 1,343 Posts
Default Re: Dusting and feeding springtails as a staple.

That looks like a statement, rather than a question, but I'd like to make a comment anyway.

It's great that so many are finding that raising and collecting springtails dry, allows you to dust them. I feel it's still very important to give them dusted melonogasters as a regular staple. It should be the springtails, that are offered "now and then".
Why would that matter?
Flies are "hairy" little beasts. The powder loves to stick to "hairy" bodies.
Springtails...well, most of them used in our hobby are not "hairy". They are fairly smooth and won't carry nearly as much powder. I'm just assuming you will be using Repashy Calcium Plus, because, well, why wouldn't you? Calcium Plus contains a small percentage of Repashy SuperPig, a mixture of Carotenoids. The Carotenoid particles are a little bit bigger than the other ingredients. These larger particles do not stick to the flies as well as the other particles, even though flies have a better stick factor. The Carotenoids are going to have a very hard time sticking to springtails, who, as a generality, are much smoother beasts.

Always, always, ALWAYS, get your froglets onto dusted Melonogasters as quickly as possible. It is crucial that they start getting full doses of Calcium Plus as soon as possible. Reticulata are sensitive frogs, and already challenging to breed and raise. Skimping on the vitamins sounds troublesome to me.

Other than that, welcome aboard. My passion is thumbnails and pumilio, too.
hypostatic, Encyclia, Tijl and 2 others like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pumilo For This Useful Post:
hypostatic (06-23-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumilo View Post
That looks like a statement, rather than a question, but I'd like to make a comment anyway.

It's great that so many are finding that raising and collecting springtails dry, allows you to dust them. I feel it's still very important to give them dusted melonogasters as a regular staple. It should be the springtails, that are offered "now and then".

Why would that matter?

Springtails...well, most of them used in our hobby are not "hairy". They are fairly smooth and won't carry nearly as much powder. I'm just assuming you will be using Repashy Calcium Plus, because, well, why wouldn't you? Calcium Plus contains a small percentage of Repashy SuperPig, a mixture of Carotenoids. The Carotenoid particles are a little bit bigger than the other ingredients. These larger particles do not stick to the flies as well as the other particles, even though flies have a better stick factor. The Carotenoids are going to have a very hard time sticking to springtails, who, as a generality, are much smoother beasts.

Always, always, ALWAYS, get your froglets onto dusted Melonogasters as quickly as possible. It is crucial that they start getting full doses of Calcium Plus as soon as possible. Reticulata are sensitive frogs, and already challenging to breed and raise. Skimping on the vitamins sounds troublesome to me.

Other than that, welcome aboard. My passion is thumbnails and pumilio, too.
Pumilo has covered this quite well. Dusted Fruit flies should be the primary food for your frogs.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:34 PM

I have found that the SuperPig kind of turns the ST red. I thought it was sticking better than the Calcium plus. Interesting.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:17 AM

Haha thanks for your replies it was definitely a question . And in fact il be using Dendrocare, not sure if that makes much of a difference however. I have seen and read around that some people albeit a small amount of them, are in fact dusting springtails particularly when it comes to feeding juveniles or smaller species.

Last edited by PumsAndThumbs; 06-23-2020 at 02:36 AM.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:50 AM

Dendrocare is a respectable supplement. It's one of the very few I would consider using.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrin1 View Post
I have found that the SuperPig kind of turns the ST red. I thought it was sticking better than the Calcium plus. Interesting.
Some of the particles may well be smaller than Calcium plus. Just within the last couple weeks, somebody contacted Allen Repashy via email, to ask about the bigger particles in Calcium Plus that don't stick as well. Allen replied that some of the particles in Superpig are a little bigger, and are probably the culprit, as Calcium Plus carries a small percentage of Superpig in it. I'm just passing on the head chef's thoughts on it.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:07 AM

You will not succeed in trying to solely feed springtails as a staple, and your frogs will likely suffer health-wise if you attempt this. There are many reasons why drosophila are the staple in the hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumilo View Post
Springtails...well, most of them used in our hobby are not "hairy".
I think melanos are actually not as hairy as some of the sinella STs kept in the hobby, relatively speaking. That said, the powder carrying capacity of a melano is significantly higher than a sinella, due to their comparative size, and the size of the powder particles. There's also the fact that you might be killing/smothering a good portion of the STs when you attempt to "dust" them.

pic of a sinella (curviseta maybe)
Old 06-23-2020, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypostatic View Post
I think melanos are actually not as hairy as some of the sinella STs kept in the hobby, relatively speaking. That said, the powder carrying capacity of a melano is significantly higher than a sinella, due to their comparative size, and the size of the powder particles.
pic of a sinella (curviseta maybe)
So true. You won't find me arguing that Sinella are not hairy. By all rights, Sinella should be the dominant sprintail in our hobby!! Am I not right, Hypo? So are Entomobryidae springtails. I'm releasing my first batch of "giants", and they have a bit of "hair", too. I'm more than a little surprised that Giants haven't made a bigger splash in the hobby. They are truly amazing vivarium critters.

Seeing as how I've been looking for a culture of Sinella curviseta, also known as Pink springtails, for about 2 or 3 years now, I would have to argue that they no longer seem to be common in the hobby. Truly a pity. They were my favorites and distributed 100's of cultures of them.
So I have to stand by the statement, "most of them used in our hobby are not "hairy"".
Still, you raise a good point. Of course it's only valid if Pinks were widespread throughout the hobby. You could totally make me eat my words by sending me a pink springtail culture!! You know I would do my best to make those widespread throughout the hobby.
Seriously though, you know I'm not a beggar, just a horse trader. I'm currently working with 8 different springtails. Four of them will be totally unique to the hobby. 6 of them were wild collected and isolated by me. Three are still undergoing "generational turnaround" cleaning methods.
Everybody else, too. I want your unique springtails. Hit me up if you have something a little different.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:04 PM

FF walk and stand delicately raised on their feet, while springtails are sub-centric.

While both self groom, locomotion style of springtails assures that dust on them would slough off very easily and quickly.

Tags
bioactive, dart frog, feeding, fruit fies, supplement