No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By kimcmich
  • 1 Post By kimcmich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2020, 10:42 AM

Default Nematodes

This morning I have seen some small thin white worms in my substrate. I can also see baby ones.

So I’ve done a ton of research and I’ve come to the conclusion of they are fine.

The ones i have look like nematodes which I have heard they can eat springtails but don’t really effect frogs or anything and act as a cuc.

The other type which I hear are worse are nemerteans which eat ff, springtails, isopods which is obviously bad so you have to get rid off them.

Am I right that I don’t need to get rid off then and they are fine in the viv?

The nematode in the picture is in the middle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1E80704B-B22A-45B5-821A-F63937FD4E6C_1590748888258.jpg (12.2 KB, 20 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2020, 06:09 PM

Thanked 1,847 Times in 1,346 Posts
Default Re: Nematodes

Looks like Nematodes. The vast majority of soil nematodes are harmless scavengers, and are actually quite benificial in breaking down waste and working as free janitors for you. They keep the soil fresh and clean. I don't worry about them. Sooner or later everybody sees them in their viv. These soil nematodes, also call "free living" nematodes, don't even have the mouth parts to be able to eat a springtail.

Nemerteans are a different story. They can increase in numbers to the point where you can't keep microfauna in your viv. They decimate it faster than they can reproduce.
Nemerteans have an odd behavioral trait that gives them away pretty easily. They lift their heads up and wave them around, as if looking for something. It makes them look like a teeny tiny cobra ready to strike.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:53 PM

Greetings,

This battle is lost but: When you see reference to "nemerteans" on dendroboard, they are actually, 99.99999% of the time, references to a terrestrial flatworm (Rynchodemus sp). Although there are terrestrial nemerteans, they are basically unheard of as viv pests whereas flatworms are common in vivs and greenhouses and mild climates, like Hawaii.

They are capable arthropod predators - including fruitflies and small isopods and they can consume them in large numbers when the worms' population booms. In my experience, they will decline over time to relative rarity. I have observed my frogs eating them more than once and now I rarely see one ever (less than than once every 6 months) and I observe my viv daily.

So: Remove the ones you see (they are especially active at night). There's not really anything else you can do to eliminate them short of complete teardown and rebuild with all new materials.
The Following User Says Thank You to kimcmich For This Useful Post:
Hemibon (06-17-2020)

Old 05-30-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcmich View Post
Greetings,

This battle is lost but: When you see reference to "nemerteans" on dendroboard, they are actually, 99.99999% of the time, references to a terrestrial flatworm (Rynchodemus sp). Although there are terrestrial nemerteans, they are basically unheard of as viv pests whereas flatworms are common in vivs and greenhouses and mild climates, like Hawaii.

They are capable arthropod predators - including fruitflies and small isopods and they can consume them in large numbers when the worms' population booms. In my experience, they will decline over time to relative rarity. I have observed my frogs eating them more than once and now I rarely see one ever (less than than once every 6 months) and I observe my viv daily.

So: Remove the ones you see (they are especially active at night). There's not really anything else you can do to eliminate them short of complete teardown and rebuild with all new materials.
Is it necessary to remove them or are they just there which can get annoying
Old 05-30-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Greetings,

I’ve removed the ones I could see and within the last 12 hours I haven’t seen one so far but obviously there’s still going to be some
Old 05-30-2020, 09:22 PM

Greetings,

I disliked them enough to remove every one I could see and they will compete with your frogs for fruit flies and other microfauna. They won't really harm your frogs, though - so you can leave them if you'd rather not be on worm patrol.

I am talking here about flatworms (the so-called "nemerteans") - not nematodes. You don't need to remove nematodes - they are perfectly natural/beneficial.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Greetings,

I disliked them enough to remove every one I could see and they will compete with your frogs for fruit flies and other microfauna. They won't really harm your frogs, though - so you can leave them if you'd rather not be on worm patrol.

I am talking here about flatworms (the so-called "nemerteans") - not nematodes. You don't need to remove nematodes - they are perfectly natural/beneficial.
Great, I’m very lucky I have nematodes and not flatworms as that would be a pain. I’m picking up my first frogs in a couple hours actually
Old 06-01-2020, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRM View Post
Great, I’m very lucky I have nematodes and not flatworms as that would be a pain. I’m picking up my first frogs in a couple hours actually
Good luck with your new darts! What are you picking up?
Old 06-01-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Stoge View Post
Quote:
Good luck with your new darts! What are you picking up?
D. Auratus Green and Black 🙂 They have settled in very well and are actually pretty bold and like to jump around hunting for flies
Old 06-02-2020, 04:18 AM

Quote:
D. Auratus Green and Black 🙂 They have settled in very well and are actually pretty bold and like to jump around hunting for flies
Exciting! I can't wait for my tads to start hopping!
Old 06-05-2020, 01:26 PM

I now see them in the drainage layer water, is this fine?
Old 06-05-2020, 05:01 PM

Greetings,

Nematodes are ubiquitous in moist soil - they will be everywhere.
fishingguy12345 likes this.