• 1 Post By minorhero
  • 2 Post By fishingguy12345
  • 1 Post By Pumilo
  • 1 Post By Moxie
  • 2 Post By Pumilo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2020, 12:01 AM

Default Springtails and Isopods

I've began construction on an 18x36, 24 high vivarium. I'd like to know the proper ratio for optimal microfauna reproduction and efficiency. Would one culture of each be sufficient or should I add two? Also, what sizes or species should be utilized considering this viv will house tincs. I have 4 Oyapok tadpoles arriving tomorrow. Should be plenty of room once muture, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2020, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Springtails and Isopods

Hello,

I am in a similar boat as you but at a different stage. I just added my micro fauna a couple of days ago. I added springtails, dwarf white isopods and nosy peach isopods. The first two are considered staples and you could just go that route and nothing else and your tank will do just fine. I added the nosy peach because I read a bunch of threads and some folks (though definitely not all) believed some larger isopods helped more with surface cleanup then the smaller ones. After talking with a fellow who knew a lot about isopods they recommended not going with the nosy peach unless I had larger darts. When I told them I was planning for tincs they agreed the nosy peach was fine. /shrug just my experience thus far.

I only bought 1 culture of each because they will reproduce just fine in the vivarium once established. Everything I have read indicates leaving the tank planted with microfauna for at least a month (some folks say 2 or 3 months) before adding frogs as this gives lots of time for the plants and micro fauna to establish.

Assuming all your tadpoles morph successfully you will ultimately have too many frogs in your tank. Most recommend a pair of tincs for essentially any size tank that is commonly kept. I have seen online folks keeping 3 but not 4. But you could always raise them up and once you can start sexing them you could split them off and sell the other 2.
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Hello,
Assuming all your tadpoles morph successfully you will ultimately have too many frogs in your tank. Most recommend a pair of tincs for essentially any size tank that is commonly kept. I have seen online folks keeping 3 but not 4. But you could always raise them up and once you can start sexing them you could split them off and sell the other 2.
Oh really? I've read 10 gallons per frog. This tank has larger floor dimensions and taller walls than any 40 gallon tanks I've seen. Do they size terrariums differently?

Old 05-27-2020, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Stoge View Post
Oh really? I've read 10 gallons per frog. This tank has larger floor dimensions and taller walls than any 40 gallon tanks I've seen. Do they size terrariums differently?
No they size them the same but tincs don't necessarily play nice with others, hence a male and female pair is preferred. Some can do 2 males and 1 female and make it work. I have not seen or heard of anyone doing 4 tincs as adults in a standard tank and making it work. I am a newbie too so you know, do your own research etc, but yea I think you will find 4 tincs in one tank is a bad idea. Keep in mind in the wild these frogs can roam over hundreds of meters so a normal size tank is pretty small. Perfectly acceptable for our purposes but from the frogs perspective invading frogs are not to be tolerated etc

I have seen information as well saying 10 gallons per frog but often it comes with caveats like a max of 3 frogs or for other species that do well in groups.

Last edited by minorhero; 05-27-2020 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:41 AM

Ok. That makes sense. I have read a little about them not getting along but I've also seen places say "does well in groups". Goes to show that you can never do too much research. Fingers crossed they morph 3 male and 1 female and manage the room respectfully. I definitely wasn't hoping to do a second build that soon.

You seem to have researched well. Most of what I've read through has been more monotonous than helpful. A lot of general blanket info. Hopefully these guys get along well enough. I'll plant more visual barriers to increase the odds. I wouldn't be opposed to dividing the enclosure in two, should I end up with two pairs.

I should have the terrarium set up with enough time to cycle it for a month. If not, I've got a couple smaller tanks to rear them in for the time being.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:48 AM

For the cleanup crew, you should set up the first group as a master culture, not in a terrarium, use their offspring to seed the terrarium.

I use dwarf white Isopods and springtails in my tank.

I have started seeding my current build that's going to be getting frogs in August.

I like to give them time to settle in and populate the tank.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Ok. That makes sense. I have read a little about them not getting along but I've also seen places say "does well in groups". Goes to show that you can never do too much research. Fingers crossed they morph 3 male and 1 female and manage the room respectfully. I definitely wasn't hoping to do a second build that soon.

You seem to have researched well. Most of what I've read through has been more monotonous than helpful. A lot of general blanket info. Hopefully these guys get along well enough. I'll plant more visual barriers to increase the odds. I wouldn't be opposed to dividing the enclosure in two, should I end up with two pairs.

I should have the terrarium set up with enough time to cycle it for a month. If not, I've got a couple smaller tanks to rear them in for the time being.
For research, I have been reading this forum and searching google for answers to every questions I have. Typically if I have a question like "what fruit fly media?" I will type into google "what fruit fly media, dendroboard" (without quotations). This produces old threads from this forum where various people weigh in on what they do. I find this very helpful because frankly most problems have a LOT of solutions with no solution being 'THE BEST'. I like to see lots of solutions so I can pick the one I think will work best for me.

My other source for information has been videos. Troy Goldberg's Tropical Garage on Youtube has some quality content as does The Dendrozone. In much the same manner as the forum though, they have opinions that will differ from each other and from other people. Again, many solutions to the same problem so I wouldn't say that what they do is the definitive best way to do things, but yet another option.

A third source which is very hit or miss are the facebook groups. There are 2 that are fairly well populated and have a lot more people viewing them. But there is also a lot of folks doing things on facebook which frankly is just not best practices... /shrug
Itsadeepbluesea likes this.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:19 AM

Thanked 1,847 Times in 1,346 Posts

How many cultures do you need?
It simply cannot be answered. Who are you buying from? I've seen springtail cultures with numbers in the single digits. Then there are people who pack the same, 8 oz culture, with well over a thousand springtails.
I remember a time when it was pretty common to get 2 or 3 dwarf white isopods in a culture. Honestly, that ticked me off. That was years ago. I began selling packs with a guaranteed minimum count. I'm glad to see that has stuck with the hobby.

You are receiving tadpoles. You have plenty of time to let bugs establish. You shouldn't need double cultures of anything, unless you manage to find a 3 bug per culture seller. Instead of a double culture of springtails, look for a second type of springtails. Look towards increasing diversity, not huge numbers of just one bug. Multiple types of springtails, and multiple types of isopods. That's what you do instead of doubling up.
Itsadeepbluesea likes this.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumilo View Post
How many cultures do you need?
It simply cannot be answered. Who are you buying from? I've seen springtail cultures with numbers in the single digits. Then there are people who pack the same, 8 oz culture, with well over a thousand springtails.
I remember a time when it was pretty common to get 2 or 3 dwarf white isopods in a culture. Honestly, that ticked me off. That was years ago. I began selling packs with a guaranteed minimum count. I'm glad to see that has stuck with the hobby.

You are receiving tadpoles. You have plenty of time to let bugs establish. You shouldn't need double cultures of anything, unless you manage to find a 3 bug per culture seller. Instead of a double culture of springtails, look for a second type of springtails. Look towards increasing diversity, not huge numbers of just one bug. Multiple types of springtails, and multiple types of isopods. That's what you do instead of doubling up.
Great advice! I will probably order from Dart Frog Connection. That's who sent me the tads. If not from them, I'll likely order from Josh's Frogs. Do you have a preferred source?
Old 05-28-2020, 01:28 AM

There are people on this forum that sell but you are a new member and can't see or contact them because of that. There are some Facebook groups for dart frogs and individuals offer isopods and springtails on those groups. I would always go with an individual than a company simply because you are supporting a fellow hobbyist and I have found the quality to be (generally speaking) better with individuals than large companies.
Do_Gon likes this.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Great advice! I will probably order from Dart Frog Connection. That's who sent me the tads. If not from them, I'll likely order from Josh's Frogs. Do you have a preferred source?
I'd recommend searching for vendor references on these forums before purchasing ;-)
Socratic Monologue and macg like this.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I choose not to support either of those businesses. That's about all I can say here. PM sent.
Do_Gon likes this.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:44 PM

Unfortunately new members can't receive PM's or look at vendor feedback. Anyway folks are suggesting you consider other options for sources for isopods. One place you do have access to is Facebook and the poison dart froggers group. Make a post there asking for isopod sellers and find an individual. If you hate Facebook you can check out https://www.caudata.org/ which is a forum for newts. They have isopod sellers there as well.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I will say, that a member of this board *cough* Pumilo *cough* sell springtails (just search his name, make sure it is spelled correctly on Ebay). The quantity that you receive is pleasantly plump, as for quality I can not imagine that it is sub par at all.

I am currently waiting for my order to arrive as I have already purchased one.

I would suggest looking into it, just my $.02
Do_Gon likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moxie For This Useful Post:
Pumilo (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
I will say, that a member of this board *cough* Pumilo *cough* sell springtails (just search his name, make sure it is spelled correctly on Ebay). The quantity that you receive is pleasantly plump, as for quality I can not imagine that it is sub par at all.

I am currently waiting for my order to arrive as I have already purchased one.

I would suggest looking into it, just my $.02
Texas! You were my challenge this week. Hotter than every other order. We should be good, but you know where to find me it it's not perfect.
Do_Gon and Moxie like this.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Texas! You were my challenge this week. Hotter than every other order. We should be good, but you know where to find me it it's not perfect.
I think it will be ok as I get my mail really early in the morning. Fingers crossed!! Thanks again!
Old 05-28-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately new members can't receive PM's or look at vendor feedback.
I was pretty sure that new members can, in fact, receive PM's, so I just checked in with one of our moderators, Scott. Scott says new members should be able to receive PM's from the start, but that they often don't know where to look. You are right about being blocked from vendor feedback, and of course from the marketplace.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately new members can't receive PM's or look at vendor feedback. Anyway folks are suggesting you consider other options for sources for isopods. One place you do have access to is Facebook and the poison dart froggers group. Make a post there asking for isopod sellers and find an individual. If you hate Facebook you can check out https://www.caudata.org/ which is a forum for newts. They have isopod sellers there as well.
They can still do a search on this site...
Here's are a few examples:

https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ge...+connection%22

https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ge...t-do-i-do.html
Those are just a couple
Old 05-28-2020, 11:00 PM

I can no longer put it to the test having fortunately passed the new member probation period but when I was a new member a few weeks ago I could not even see what posts were "liked" by others and the entire market place and all sub forums were off limits as well. I did make the assumption that PMs were also barred since everything else was as well including the control panel, personal avatars, and even changing my time zone.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingguy12345 View Post
Quote:
I'd recommend searching for vendor references on these forums before purchasing ;-)
Also great advice. I failed to do so before ordering tads and supplies from DFC.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately new members can't receive PM's or look at vendor feedback.
I was pretty sure that new members can, in fact, receive PM's, so I just checked in with one of our moderators, Scott. Scott says new members should be able to receive PM's from the start, but that they often don't know where to look. You are right about being blocked from vendor feedback, and of course from the marketplace.
This is Correct and Thanks for the info.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingguy12345 View Post
Quote:
They can still do a search on this site...
Here's are a few examples:

https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ge...+connection%22

https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ge...t-do-i-do.html
Those are just a couple
Thanks for the share. Hope my tads from DFC turn out alright