• 1 Post By Pumilo
  • 1 Post By Pumilo
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue
  • 1 Post By kblack3
  • 2 Post By Pumilo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2020, 04:16 PM

Default Neherp Plant Packs

I finally have everything setup the way I would like in my 75 gallon and it's now time to look into adding plants. TBH this is where I really have no prior knowledge so I don't want to really pick out individual plants.

Has anyone had experience with neherp plant packs? I looked into the custom one they quoted but I assume they overstock based on the plants now compared to when they grow out. The 55 gallon pack will be fine once it fills out.

Anyone know if the packs are any good or a rule of thumb for how many plants I may need?

I attached the current configuration. 4 T5ho 6500k, mist king misting system (not installed yet/ hand misting daily to start flattening leaves), hydroton drainage layer, with turface MVP substrate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200326_110856_1585239064971.jpg (48.6 KB, 18 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Neherp Plant Packs

You might have trouble growing regular plants in turface [email protected] should be able to help with whey plants will grow in it

Generally, from what I've read, epiphytes love it, "regular" plants not so much
The Following User Says Thank You to fishingguy12345 For This Useful Post:
Etlichnd (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingguy12345 View Post
You might have trouble growing regular plants in turface [email protected] should be able to help with whey plants will grow in it

Generally, from what I've read, epiphytes love it, "regular" plants not so much
I really hope your wrong ha. All the research I saw said it was a great alternative to ABG..... but maybe i missed something

Old 03-26-2020, 06:29 PM

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,304 Posts

Please remember, no vendor feedback on the open forum. If anybody does have an opinion on Neherp plant packages, please private message your reply to the original poster.
Scott likes this.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:57 PM

Plants do fine on turface. Of course, you are starting with zero organics, and turface behaves pretty much the same as any other hydroponic media. It holds water, breathes well, and doesn't do a lot to hold nutrients. I know you are not telling me that only epiphytes will grow hydroponically. I'm pretty sure you just need a tip or two.
I absolutely, positively, guarantee you that Turface makes a fine substrate for almost everything we grow. It may be a bit too dry to grow lush fields of moss, but moss doesn't belong on the floor. Use that valuable floor space for the frogs...not for you. Put your pretty moss on the wood and on the walls. The floor space is for leaf litter, hunting prey, microfauna production, and plants. Even a bromeliad, best mounted on walls, can thrive in turface. Of course, for a bromeliad you would skip the sphagnum. They want dry feet.

When working with clay substrates, either wet, like my calcium bearing clay substrate, or dry, like Turface, getting the initial start on plants, especially small cuttings, may be a little trickier...emphasis on "little".
First, pre-root your cuttings. Let them root in a plastic tub, or 10 gallon aquarium. Use sphagnum moss for a substrate. A cheap, $10 dollar shop light from Lowe's, with any cheap fluorescent bulbs, will work fine for rooting cuttings.
When they are ready to plant, scoop up the plant and leave a few pieces of sphagnum moss attached to the roots. If all the sphagnum comes loose, then just loosely wrap a piece or two of sphagnum around the roots.
Now plant the cutting and the sphagnum moss, together. You could also use a small handful of ABG mix, or even a small amount of peat or coco. Peat and coco don't drain as well, so keep the amount small. For small cuttings, I will poke two fingers into the turface, and fill that very small pocket with a more traditional substrate. If using ABG you can 3 or 4 fingers, up to a small handful.
Pile up leaf litter around it.

Something that nobody really talks about, is leaf litter's other function. In a vegetable garden, leaves are highly valued as a source of fertilizer. Old school gardeners love to use thick layers of leaves. It also works as a mulch, keeping roots moist and cool.
Piling leaf litter around your freshly planted cutting;
1 Looks natural
2 Fertilizes your otherwise dead, inert, totally nutrient free, turface
3 Helps keep your roots shaded, cool, and most important for a fresh cutting, moist.
4 Plus, of course, all the frog and microfauna benefits that we are all well familiar with.
Encyclia likes this.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumilo View Post
Plants do fine on turface. Of course, you are starting with zero organics, and turface behaves pretty much the same as any other hydroponic media. It holds water, breathes well, and doesn't do a lot to hold nutrients. I know you are not telling me that only epiphytes will grow hydroponically. I'm pretty sure you just need a tip or two.

I absolutely, positively, guarantee you that Turface makes a fine substrate for almost everything we grow. It may be a bit too dry to grow lush fields of moss, but moss doesn't belong on the floor. Use that valuable floor space for the frogs...not for you. Put your pretty moss on the wood and on the walls. The floor space is for leaf litter, hunting prey, microfauna production, and plants. Even a bromeliad, best mounted on walls, can thrive in turface. Of course, for a bromeliad you would skip the sphagnum. They want dry feet.

When working with clay substrates, either wet, like my calcium bearing clay substrate, or dry, like Turface, getting the initial start on plants, especially small cuttings, may be a little trickier...emphasis on "little".

First, pre-root your cuttings. Let them root in a plastic tub, or 10 gallon aquarium. Use sphagnum moss for a substrate. A cheap, $10 dollar shop light from Lowe's, with any cheap fluorescent bulbs, will work fine for rooting cuttings.

When they are ready to plant, scoop up the plant and leave a few pieces of sphagnum moss attached to the roots. If all the sphagnum comes loose, then just loosely wrap a piece or two of sphagnum around the roots.

Now plant the cutting and the sphagnum moss, together. You could also use a small handful of ABG mix, or even a small amount of peat or coco. Peat and coco don't drain as well, so keep the amount small. For small cuttings, I will poke two fingers into the turface, and fill that very small pocket with a more traditional substrate. If using ABG you can 3 or 4 fingers, up to a small handful.

Pile up leaf litter around it.

Something that nobody really talks about, is leaf litter's other function. In a vegetable garden, leaves are highly valued as a source of fertilizer. Old school gardeners love to use thick layers of leaves. It also works as a mulch, keeping roots moist and cool.

Piling leaf litter around your freshly planted cutting;

1 Looks natural

2 Fertilizes your otherwise dead, inert, totally nutrient free, turface

3 Helps keep your roots shaded, cool, and most important for a fresh cutting, moist.

4 Plus, of course, all the frog and microfauna benefits that we are all well familiar with.
I stand completely corrected. Thanks :-)
Old 03-26-2020, 08:00 PM

This is a great answer.

This explains (better than I could) my reservations that I shared with fishingguy about Turface. It's all about getting through that initial period where you need to provide a bit of leaf litter/sphagnum for your plants while your Turface is being "charged." Eventually, this is going to be less necessary. In spite of that break-in period, I still use Turface in almost every one of my tanks, so it's worth it all day long. BTW, pumilo is the one that suggested Turface several years ago. Listen to what he says about this stuff. Thanks for the refresher, Doug.

Mark
Old 03-26-2020, 09:19 PM

I don't like the plant packs I've seen from any vendor. They seem to include some/too many not-quite-vivarium-ideal species. They are also chef's choice, and if you've even worked in a restaurant, you know that this is the stuff that needs to go yesterday.

If I need ideas, I like to look at the multitude of build threads here. They give good suggestions of species, and you can see how they look in a viv when planted and when grown in. You can also read if the keeper had problems with certain plants.

When you find a species that you like, cut and paste the name in the search box here to see what others say about it (whether it grows well in your substrate, for example), and then in the search feature on the various vendor sites (Josh's, NE Herp, Glass Box Tropicals, etc) to see if they stock it.
Encyclia likes this.

- Whitman

Last edited by Socratic Monologue; 03-26-2020 at 09:20 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 03-27-2020, 01:33 AM

Also for plant inspiration I first selected a frog species then tried my best to buy plants that could be found in similar areas (though that eventually branched out)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:26 AM

Watch the classifieds here on DB. Most of my best finds have come from fellow hobbyists. You can sometimes get a great deal when someone needs to thin out the frog room.
Scott and Encyclia like this.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumilo View Post
Watch the classifieds here on DB. Most of my best finds have come from fellow hobbyists. You can sometimes get a great deal when someone needs to thin out the frog room.
Thank you. I will check that out as well.