Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By gbeauvin
  • 1 Post By MSP
  • 1 Post By Ravage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2020, 11:57 AM

Default Conversion or no conversion: 45g breeder

Hello DB

Long time lurker here with a few questions regarding upcoming build. I presently have a 50 gallon euro-style opening which I like for it’s convenient access and possibility of increasing/reducing passive ventilation as required. I build it using the GS-silicone method with cork bark and driftwood incorporated, and bio active setup using AGB substrate mix. So while not incredibly experienced in tank setup, I take a decent time constructing it to make it look good.

I recently bought a 45 gallon breeder tank that I’m considering for a new build. Here’s the question, should I:

1) Keep the current breeder as is, and build it with active ventilation. I am considering doing the mosaic cork bark method, so top access will be easier (reduced protruding objects from the background). I’d have a 3-4 inch ventilation strip on either the back or front of the top and active ventilation using fans.
Concerns with this method: excessive fogging of the front glass and difficulty of reaching inhabitants. The tank is 20 inches high (50cm).

Or 2) convert the breeder by cutting the front glass off and building it to a eurostyle opening, with front and top ventilation to keep front glass from fogging up. Corkbark mosaic still applies here until further notice 🙂
Concerns: difficulty making it properly and more time consuming glass cutting and silicone. However, with the added bonus of easy access for feeding, maintenance and planting.

Bonus info: I am considering it for a couple of imitators, or some tincs. It will be setup near a bedroom, so too high pitched calling is best avoided. I’ve had leucs before, and while I loved their call, they aren’t exactly bedroom material 😕

Best regards,
Mathias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2020, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Conversion or no conversion: 45g breeder

Welcome, Mathias!

You have things figured out pretty well already. There were only a couple of things I would add. First, active fans will help with the condensation, not hinder. Just be aware that you might have to set up timers with the fans, depending on how you have them set up, to avoid drying the tank out. Depends on the outside air conditions and how much of the fan flow is replacing air from outside to in. Second, either of those setup ideas would work fine. The horizontal idea might suit the Tincs better and the vertical might suit the imis better. Either one could live in either setup, though. 20 inches is doable. My 90 is like 22 or 23 high and on a pretty high stand and I can reach the bottom with some tippy toes standing (I am 5'10ish). Over the years, though, I have wound up favoring vertical setups to horizontal (top opening) for the reasons you said. The difference is that the pain is up front in the vertical setup with construction, etc. For the horizontal, the pain is incremental and covers the life of the tank :-)

Mark
Old 02-06-2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP View Post
Hello DB
Or 2) convert the breeder by cutting the front glass off and building it to a eurostyle opening, with front and top ventilation to keep front glass from fogging up. Corkbark mosaic still applies here until further notice 🙂
Concerns: difficulty making it properly and more time consuming glass cutting and silicone. However, with the added bonus of easy access for feeding, maintenance and planting.
I'm haven't made my viv yet so grab a grain of salt, but have you considered tilting the breeder onto it's side or end so the 'front' is now open, and don't have to cut off the front glass? I may be misunderstanding what you're describing.

-GB
Encyclia likes this.

Old 02-08-2020, 12:42 PM

Thank you for your quick replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeauvin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP View Post
Hello DB
I'm haven't made my viv yet so grab a grain of salt, but have you considered tilting the breeder onto it's side or end so the 'front' is now open, and don't have to cut off the front glass? I may be misunderstanding what you're describing.

-GB
This is actually somewhat my thought already. My intention in cutting the front panel off, is that I’ll have a larger footprint of the tank while still having a good ventilation and access. Additionally, the tank has a top aluminium rim, which I cannot remove without it looking silly.

@encyclia I tried the last few days maintaining my 55g from the top. That is simply too time consuming and constrained for maintenance and feeding. I understand why you have diverted towards front opening vivs!

All things together, I’m not certain if either is worth the hassle! I might just get another front opening instead, and keep the aquarium as is - all depends on the size of my wallet! For now I will be stocking up on the build supplies, and see how much I have left when I feel stocked 😊
Encyclia likes this.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:35 PM

Definitely convert. I am finishing a 40gal breeder conversion and actually prefer converting to buying vivariums. You can alter the flow design, the surface area of venting and even the vent material (stainless steel, or fine fiberglass mesh) depending upon the desired inhabitants and their prey creatures. I takes some time, but is inexpensive and that really helps with the total project cost. Buying a used aquarium, or a "dollar a gallon" tank deal is often less expensive than buying the raw glass- especially if you need to have it cut and ground to order.
Here's a link to my build thread on how you can convert an aquarium to a front opening vivarium. Front opening is the way to go whether your design is horizontal or vertical in aspect.
https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...ening-viv.html
Encyclia likes this.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:37 PM

Thank you Ravage! That thread was exactly was I was looking for. It should be a sticky somewhere, so much useful and thorough information hidden in a single thread!

You’ve given me the last dip of encouragement to proceed - the misses won’t be pleased! She was just about to think I’d leave it in the shed 😃