Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2020, 02:21 PM

Default Another newbie mistake- exo Terra doors

So.....
I put my 36x18x36 on itís back to work on the background. Unlatched the doors and the doors dropped inside the tank. The top lip does not hold the weight of the doors. Luckily, I was able to pull the doors out and the hinges did not break. I do have broken glass on one of the corner of one of the doors. Really lucky that it was not worse!!!! I am going to silicone the corner since it is a bit sharp. Hope this is the last of the oopsies!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2020, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Another newbie mistake- exo Terra doors

When I was working on my 36x18x36 I supported the doors with 5 gallon buckets (if I remember correctly...) and didn't have any issues. May give it a go.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:13 PM

That is always a scary feeling. Sorry that happened. Perfect example of not being able to predict what is going to happen. That sounds like every project I do for the first time...

Whenever I am doing a background and need to set an Exo or ZooMed on its back, I usually just use a blade to slide up under the top molding in the front next to where the hinge is located on each side (depending on the size and brand of tank) and just pry the top molding at the corner up enough to get the little pin on the front hinged glass out and set them aside. They go in a lot easier when I am done and they stay in just fine from then on in my experience.

Mark

Old 01-17-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
That is always a scary feeling. Sorry that happened. Perfect example of not being able to predict what is going to happen. That sounds like every project I do for the first time...

Whenever I am doing a background and need to set an Exo or ZooMed on its back, I usually just use a blade to slide up under the top molding in the front next to where the hinge is located on each side (depending on the size and brand of tank) and just pry the top molding at the corner up enough to get the little pin on the front hinged glass out and set them aside. They go in a lot easier when I am done and they stay in just fine from then on in my experience.

Mark
Good to know for my next one!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post

Mark
I had them supported after pulling the doors out and swung out to the outside. As soon as the latch was released they just fell down. Hit a some of the driftwood sticking out. Thought for sure both doors were cracked!