Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2020, 06:24 PM

Default Voracious Species?

I'm currently in the market for a group of Darts that have a voracious appetite. I started producing colonies of fruit flies for some species of Gecko's and Chameleon's I breed and it's come to the point I'm producing more than my neonates can eat/or they grow out of the feeder size. When dealing with offspring I tend to keep more colonies then I need to offset a bad colony producing.

Since I've got more than enough of a food source and a few vivariums that are open that have been just used for plant propagation I figured I could turn one or two into Dart enclosures.

What would you guys recommend as a good hardy species that can eat their weight (in a healthy sense) of fruit flies?

Just to give you guys an idea of how much I'm over producing I'm getting around 1/2 cup of over production daily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Voracious Species?

To get better suggestions, I think its important to give what other reasons you would like to have dart frogs.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:16 PM

I've been interested in Dart Frog's for decades and love their colors as well as the environments they live in. I'm partial to species that enjoy nesting in Bromeliads as it's just a very interesting symbiotic relationship. Just to have a slice of nature to look at is just mesmerizing.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:15 AM

It sounds like you may want a bull frog to eat all those flies.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:00 AM

Adult and juvenile Rhacodactylus will eat thawed insects mixed in a fruit slurry. Pinheads, fruit flies, surplus dubia nymphs.

All you have to do is freeze them in a zip loc. Pour into smashed fruit or pre made slurry. They thaw almost immediately.

Its alot more normal than eating reconstituted soy powders.

Try it. Perfect use for a volume of FFs.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:03 AM
TWI/ASN

a lot of tropical fish are great for excess flies.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:20 AM

tincs will voraciously eat fruit flies.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfrog View Post
It sounds like you may want a bull frog to eat all those flies.
Not sure a bullfrog will eat the excess once they get larger, and I'm not exactly looking for such a big species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmc View Post
Adult and juvenile Rhacodactylus will eat thawed insects mixed in a fruit slurry. Pinheads, fruit flies, surplus dubia nymphs.

All you have to do is freeze them in a zip loc. Pour into smashed fruit or pre made slurry. They thaw almost immediately.

Its alot more normal than eating reconstituted soy powders.

Try it. Perfect use for a volume of FFs.
Currently am keeping Eurydactylodes Agricolae and Mourning Gecko's but they don't go through flies much. Mournings will tag a few, but once they get a taste for MRP they tend to leave FF's alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philsuma View Post
a lot of tropical fish are great for excess flies.
Funny you mention this, I was considering trying to find a surface feeding species that could knock out the excess. Decades ago when I was a kid I used to catch fruit flies and feed them to betta's when I was breeding them. Just don't need a wall full of jars full of individual fry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain_Frog View Post
tincs will voraciously eat fruit flies.
This is good to know! I've got an 18x18x24 Exo that's been setup for a year that initially I was looking to put Tinc's into, but then it turned into a vivarium with multiple carnivorous species of plants and I was concerned about a frog getting into a pitcher and not being able to get out. Besides that I've got another 18x18x24 that's planted and bioactive without predacious species of plants but just needs a glass top installed to keep up the humidity needed for the Darts.

I'm working on replacing a display aquarium with one of the new ZooMed paludariums, but not sure if a big water feature is safe for frogs.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:56 PM

Terribs are pretty voracious. Mine are always hungry, it seems. Regarding the fish, just about any fish I've ever had will come to the surface to feed on fruit flies.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:58 PM

I vote terribilis or tincs but my female auratus sure pound down the flies when breeding heavily. Where are you from?
Old 01-17-2020, 04:56 AM

Any phylobates are pretty aggressive eater in my opinion. And also great group frogs. Terribilis, bicolor, vittatus, auroteana are all cool frogs. I particularly love the calls from vittatus and auro’s
Old 01-17-2020, 04:20 PM

I would have suggested some Phyllobates, too. Terribs are incredibly aggressive feeders, in my experience. Mine sure don't sit in bromeliads, though :-) Larger frogs tend to be my more aggressive feeders (at least in terms of knocking down large numbers of flies), but most of them don't really interact with bromeliads to the same degree that my little guys do. Seems like those might be mutually-exclusive goals. All dart frogs will do well in a nice "slice of nature." :-)

Mark