Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 06:15 PM

Default 120 gallon half moon

Hello all,

I recently took down a saltwater tank and Iím now debating on setting it up as a viv. The tank is 48Ē wide 24 deep at the bow and 30Ē tall. I know top entry tanks are not ideal for vivs with darts but itís what I have on hand.

Ideas and thoughts.

-Cutting a door into the bow and add hinges so it becomes a normal viv style tank. Not really sure how to go about this but have seen others do it. Not on a bow but should be roughly the same process.

-From what Iíve read using a drip style watering method over a misting system will help keep the front glass cleaner. I know this will be my main fight due to the height. Same problem I had when it was a saltwater tank. Luckily I have long arms and can reach the bottom without too much problem.

Your thoughts
If you had a tank like this would you attempt to make it into a viv or pass on it all together? As much as I donít want to buy a new viv style system I donít want a massive uphill battle as this will be the largest viv Ive attempted.

If I stay with this tank what would you suggest I do moving forward to make this a successful viv?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2020, 06:19 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: 120 gallon half moon

no substitute for misting. I've owned and seen plenty of drip wall tanks, but misting is needed also.

I'd save you the heartache of that tank, but it seems your mind is made up.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:38 PM

I know misting will be needed to be done ontop of dripping. Just saw some post with deeper tanks and seemed like it was a better option to drip over mist as wipping the tank down will be the issue.

Nothing is set in stone ha. That's why I'm asking and didn't just go for it and build the Viv. It's a cool tank due to the height but that's the problem with it. Just trying to see if it makes sense to make it into a Viv or scrap it all together.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:05 PM
TWI/ASN

Height is awesome, if you can open the front of the tank.

if you have to stick your arm deep in, eventually you will want to chew it off.

the arm.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:01 AM

I think with top opening, deep tanks the trick is to have what you need nearby or you won’t do maintenance. A stool easily accessible right by the tank and some long tools really help. If you’re not stretching to reach the bottom it won’t seem any more difficult. Long easy to use tongs, a glass wiping sponge on a stick, and a funnel with a long straight tube to dump flies in. Anything that makes it slightly easier will help in the long run. I would not cut doors in the tank.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:40 PM

I also like the look of clean-front glass, no doors. I think for most people it would be fine to have top entrance, as most people only have a tank or two. For those who have 15+ tanks or whatever, I bet that would really be a nuisance, but I don't see why it would be that big of a deal for someone with few vivs to take care of.