Please critique my first dart enclosure! (And first bioactive!) - Page 2 - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2020, 10:43 PM
Mod

Default Re: Please critique my first dart enclosure! (And first bioactive!)

I will agree that putting the MGs and the Tincs together is not a good idea. However, if 18x18x24 is too small for a pair of tincs, there is a really large percentage of the hobby that's doing it wrong...

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
I will agree that putting the MGs and the Tincs together is not a good idea. However, if 18x18x24 is too small for a pair of tincs, there is a really large percentage of the hobby that's doing it wrong...

Mark

Didnít it use to be pretty common practice to put pairs in a 10g? I think it still is to a degree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2020, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalez View Post
Didnít it use to be pretty common practice to put pairs in a 10g? I think it still is to a degree.

Iíve read that too, so this is definitely a little confusing lol

Old 01-04-2020, 12:31 AM
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalez View Post

Yeah, probably, but best practices change over time. Most of us are past completely sealing up their vivaria and using a layer of sphagnum under the leaf litter, too, but that doesn't prevent a vocal minority from continuing to advocate for those things.

Mark
Old 01-04-2020, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
Yeah, probably, but best practices change over time. Most of us are past completely sealing up their vivaria and using a layer of sphagnum under the leaf litter, too, but that doesn't prevent a vocal minority from continuing to advocate for those things.

Mark

Yeah, I was just trying to build on your point by saying that if an 18x18x24 is too small, than a good portion of frog keepers are not using large enough enclosures.

Old 01-04-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoCheese View Post
Hello! Iíve been lurking in this forum for a few months, but have only been able to join now due to some issues with the website. This is definitely a great resource to anyone looking into frogs, and Iím very happy to be a part of it.

This set up will be housing a pair of dendrobates tinctorious ďAzureusĒ and eventually, hopefully, Hawaiian mourning geckos. I will be getting these on February 15th from Joshís Frogs at the Arlington NARBC expo.

I would like to preface this by saying that I am normally very against mixing species, and Iíve spent enough time persuading people not to keep their redfoot tortoise with their Russians on another forum to be disgusted by the idea most times. However, Iíve been looking into both species for a very long time, and am very interested in the geckoís ability to rid the enclosure of pests like spiders and maybe even keep fruit fly escapes down. I do, though, accept that this may just be me trying to make excuses for wanting to keep them together, as long as there is no harm in doing it.

Obviously I will be keeping the mournings in a quarantine tank (which I already have set up) for months, at least until theyíre full grown. They will also be coming from the same source to reduce the risk of disease spread, and I will always have a vertical 10 gallon set up just in case. I would never want to attempt this without having ample experience with keeping them separately.

I am absolutely open to any concerns, and ESPECIALLY examples of it going wrong. I have not found one myself, but that could just mean I havenít looked hard enough. I would never want to risk my petsí welfare, so please, hit me with any potential problems.

It is a ďThriveĒ brand 18x18x24. Substrate is a mixture of organic topsoil, sphagnum moss, and coconut coir. It has been seeded with dwarf white isopods and springtails.

(Please tell me if the pictures are too low quality, the Tapatalk app wonít let me upload them in full resolution unless I pay a subscription :/)
There is a small water dish under the bridge with 2 pothos cuttings propagating in it, the water is pretty shallow.

Plants that are included-
Pillow moss
Pothos
2 different begonias
A money tree
Ficus pumila
Air plants
Croton
Rosey maiden hair fern
Sweet potato vine
Fittonia ďpink veinĒ
And assorted fairy garden things along with oak leaf litter.

For hides I have a cork flat, a crocodile skull (a little hard to see), and a cute ceramic mushroom birdhouse.

For the mourning geckos, Iím hoping that the pothos and ficus will really grow in by the time I get them in there. The background holds a bunch of cork tubes that they have access to, and I included a little shelf at the top for them to hide under. I have a low wattage lamp that keeps the top right corner at 80-87, and the rest of the tank at 69-74. Thereís a very large temperature gradient. Iíll probably add a few more hides for them eventually.

Would you guys recommend having a separate quarantine tank for the frogs, or just starting them in this tank? I have no other frogs, and the only other reptiles in the house are a ball python and bearded dragon, if youíre not counting the Sulcata tortoise outdoors.

Thank you for reading my way-too-long spiel! Please let me know if I missed anything

Does your enclosure open from the front? If so, then your mourning geckos will probably escape. They are escape artists! I lost two normal mourning geckos in this manner. I tore my tank apart trying to find them. I assume that they got out while I was cleaning my tank. I won't get more unless I have a top entry tank for them.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:39 PM

After a lot of thought, I think Iím going to get a nice big colony of mourning geckos for this enclosure, and save the frogs for my extra 20 long at another time. I had so much fun setting up this bioactive, so I might as well give myself an excuse to make another one

Thank you guys for your help!

Tijl likes this.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txlady15 View Post
Does your enclosure open from the front? If so, then your mourning geckos will probably escape. They are escape artists! I lost two normal mourning geckos in this manner. I tore my tank apart trying to find them. I assume that they got out while I was cleaning my tank. I won't get more unless I have a top entry tank for them.

Iíve actually already begun fruit fly proofing the tank, which Iím hoping will help

Old 01-04-2020, 08:50 PM

That isnt always true at all.

It depends on how you set up station calmly learn what your animals do. Ive had day geckos Regularly run up my arm and back into their environment.

Front openers foster a more benign presence of entrance as you are not continually coming From Above, which they never get used to, doubled with the noise. If they do slip out they are easier to 'guide' back in and the visibility is superior.

I find front openers to create a better quality husbandry platform in every way, including escape factor.

keep it at chest level.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:57 PM

IE; the face of the environment opening at a comfortable full standing chest level. Its ideal operationally.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:25 PM
TWI/ASN

Front opening /2 door, enclosures are superiour to top opening fish tanks in every way.

There is a reason they were 'born' out of herp keeping.

they will limit stress and escapes.

They will allow maintenance much easier.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:28 PM

I agree with the above, and it also makes it much easier to maintenance them since you donít have to reach way down into a tall tank. Just wish it was easier to find them in something bigger than a 40 gallon :/

Old 01-04-2020, 09:35 PM
TWI/ASN

start small and simple

then...

contract out to get a big tank made.

Photo Gallery - Vivariums In The Mist
TechnoCheese likes this.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philsuma View Post
start small and simple

then...

contract out to get a big tank made.

Photo Gallery - Vivariums In The Mist

Oh man, those are nice!

Old 01-05-2020, 01:30 AM

Mourning Geckos are escape artist, or so I'm told. I have Mg and darts together .I know it's not popular here. I would suggest sealing up your Viv as much as you can.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:47 AM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patterhorn View Post
Mourning Geckos are escape artist, or so I'm told. I have Mg and darts together .I know it's not popular here. I would suggest sealing up your Viv as much as you can.
what is the reason you have geckoes and dart frogs together?
Old 01-09-2020, 07:10 PM

Although the mixed species thing had became the dominant commentary, and since your original query saught critique, or better, constructive input on the composition of your environment, I would like to share some input on a small detail about space usage, in a friendly non nitpicky spirit..

Cork shards and tubes, slabs and rounds are planes of usable Dimension. I will speak in generalizations as in the case of surface areas, as such amicable activity opportunities are valuable across taxa. 'Activity Over Accent" .

No matter what space we are working with turning our eye toward what is compatible with the native tendencies of the kept is what enrichment is all about.

If it were my environment I would move the airplants so that the cork pieces that you have twinned at an angle toward higher aspect, was cleared to be walkable, sprintable.

They are in the way on a strategic surface area. Its also good to have such planes 'going somewhere' usually to a resource, a light, or cover foliage.

That is how animals dont escape, they go 'To' not 'Askew'.
TechnoCheese likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kmc For This Useful Post:
TechnoCheese (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 08:52 PM

Default Please critique my first dart enclosure! (And first bioactive!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmc View Post
Although the mixed species thing had became the dominant commentary, and since your original query saught critique, or better, constructive input on the composition of your environment, I would like to share some input on a small detail about space usage, in a friendly non nitpicky spirit..

Cork shards and tubes, slabs and rounds are planes of usable Dimension. I will speak in generalizations as in the case of surface areas, as such amicable activity opportunities are valuable across taxa. 'Activity Over Accent" .

No matter what space we are working with turning our eye toward what is compatible with the native tendencies of the kept is what enrichment is all about.

If it were my environment I would move the airplants so that the cork pieces that you have twinned at an angle toward higher aspect, was cleared to be walkable, sprintable.

They are in the way on a strategic surface area. Its also good to have such planes 'going somewhere' usually to a resource, a light, or cover foliage.

That is how animals dont escape, they go 'To' not 'Askew'.

Thank you so much for the constructive input!

Last edited by TechnoCheese; 01-09-2020 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:12 PM

I actually have some cork flats in the back and middle to serve as hides, but I do want to add more and include some tubes

Old 01-10-2020, 12:18 AM

An inordinately familiar, yet somehow still rather amusing little shitstorm in a blender. "Hears turd plop in, then hears someone hit pulse. Like a dumbass, elects to observe the predictable result." Maybe I'm just bored? Hmm.

I actually liked this most:
Quote:
People don't always get what they want here, but they usually get what they ask for.
Now that is a fucking keeper. Ha ha ha. Nice.

Anyway, OP, if you're really a months-long lurker here you'll know this is a pretty friendly place. With a few opinions. And a lot of first-hand experience. I gotta say you've taken your friendly beating pretty well. I reckon you're gonna do what you're gonna do. Whatever that is, if you learn something, come back and share it.

Good luck!
Old 01-10-2020, 01:05 AM

Wink Re: Please critique my first dart enclosure! (And first bioactive!)

Air exchange - yes indeed we have shared some of that. I wouldn't be surprised if cork bark was somewhere in there too...

TC, never enough cork bark, its the best!
TechnoCheese likes this.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmc View Post
Air exchange - yes indeed we have shared some of that. I wouldn't be surprised if cork bark was somewhere in there too...

TC, never enough cork bark, its the best!

I agree, super exciting to shop for too!

Kmc likes this.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:07 AM

Yes!
I couldn't agree more!
TechnoCheese likes this.