facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Nicknack
  • 1 Post By Nicknack
  • 1 Post By Nicknack

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 11-18-2019, 07:09 PM

Default First Time Dart Owner - Ranitomeya Amazonica

Hey guys, I'm new to the hobby but have always been obsessed with darts.
I recently received my first two darts; a pair of Ranitomeyaa Amazonica Iquitos.

I have had a 12x12x18 exo terra vivarium set up for about 3 months now, full of love plenty of bromeliads, ferns, climbing plants/vines and leaf litter. Plenty of hiding spots and plenty of springtails. I was finally able to find a source for a pair of frogs. (There's not many places here in Scotland that sell and breed them - hence the wait)

My vivarium is often steady in temp of around 73-78degrees. I don't use a mister as Im sure a mistking system is maybe alittle overkill for a tank so small? so I'm using a hand mister regularly, and although I don't totally trust the digital hygrometers I've had (I've had three different ones - and this one claims my humidity to be 99%) the tank is often looking wet and there's condensation on the glass

I also use a fogger which I made from a cool humidifier and a hose. And use this in the morning for around 5/10minutes when turning the lighting on, and in the evening before turning the lights off again.

The frogs so far have been pretty shy, think their getting used to the tank and finding their favourite hiding places, I've noticed them coming out more when I leave the room (I think they're plotting something behind my back haha)
I haven't noticed them eating much of the fruitflies but I think they're having a good go on the springtails.
I'm noticing that the FFs are finding ways of escaping which is annoying me, so I'm going to create a soap/vinegar concoction to catch the would be escapees.

Let me now what you think of my setup, as I say I am new so go easy on me aha. And would appreciate any advice or feedback or what I could/should improve if needed.

Side note.
Trying to upload an image of me setup, if anyone can help me with this please let me know how aha
Lucano likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 01:25 AM

Default Re: First Time Dart Owner - Ranitomeya Amazonica

If you want to post pics before you've met the new member post count requirements, you can load them on an image-sharing site and then link here.

Search here for 'hygrometer' and you'll not buy another one. Sounds like the hand misting and part time fogger is working well for you.

Looking forward to hearing more about your frogs. Anyone who likes thumbnails is cool with me!

- Whitman

Old 11-20-2019, 10:22 AM

Thanks so much! Appreciate the advice! ☺️

Old 11-20-2019, 11:28 PM

Welcome, NickNack.

Would you be kind enough to let me have the seller's details (via PM if necessary)? I'm also after some R. Amazonica but can't source any at all here.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:05 PM

Was in the same boat as a beginner with Amazonica, we waited ages for them and in the end got a seller to collect them from the continent for us. Ours are about 6 months down the line in the tank and are still very shy. We have 1 that we see out and about regularly, but the other 3 we don't. Have 4 so hoping the occasional noise means we're starting to hear a male on the calling journey.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBM3000 View Post
Welcome, NickNack.

Would you be kind enough to let me have the seller's details (via PM if necessary)? I'm also after some R. Amazonica but can't source any at all here.
Sure thing! I used http://www.dartfrog.co.uk/amphibians.html

It was abit of a bummer that delivery for me to Scotland was 60 but worth it that I eventually got some.
I kept checking back over the course of two months to see when they had Amazonica in, and got lucky with a pair.
But they do have a wide range of morphs available more regularly it seems
The Following User Says Thank You to Nicknack For This Useful Post:
PBM3000 (11-22-2019)

Old 11-22-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCBeckett View Post
Was in the same boat as a beginner with Amazonica, we waited ages for them and in the end got a seller to collect them from the continent for us. Ours are about 6 months down the line in the tank and are still very shy. We have 1 that we see out and about regularly, but the other 3 we don't. Have 4 so hoping the occasional noise means we're starting to hear a male on the calling journey.
Aww awesome! I hope they're going well for you! Yeh I haven't seen one of the pair in about 3 days. In still unsure of the sex of the pair, I know the bolder one is a male for sure as I've seen and heard him calling, but as for the other I can only speculate it's a female because of its more elusive nature.
Was getting worried I hadn't seen it in a few days but if that's normal them I'm alittle more relieved

Old 11-26-2019, 10:35 AM

Here's a photo of my viv, hope you like it guys.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2i9z4lhva8..._0073.jpg?dl=0

Old 11-26-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicknack View Post
Here's a photo of my viv, hope you like it guys.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2i9z4lhva8..._0073.jpg?dl=0
Nice job! Post some pics of the inhabitants

Old 11-26-2019, 06:56 PM

Not the best photos since I used my phone, but Il try get better ones with my actual camera when they're abit more bold
Lucano likes this.

Old 11-29-2019, 06:54 PM

Love them and your tank. Good job.