Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kmc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2019, 12:49 AM

Default Cleaning froglet bin?

How often should I be cleaning a froglet bin?

I have 4 leucs, about 0.5 inches each.

The bin is a sterlite 20 qt gasket bin with two 1.5 inch holes (covered with mesh) drilled in the top.

The bottom is covered in sphagnum moss and some leaf litter.

I have noticed dead flies on the side of the bin.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2019, 05:01 AM

Default Re: Cleaning froglet bin?

With the info you describe it sounds like there is an opportunity for fetid circumstances and stagnant air.

If there are flies are dying or gnat pupae presenting it needs to be refreshed more frequently.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:49 AM

There is no pat answer to answer how often - moisture, waste, bacteria and mycology are dynamic, variable events and any scheduled rythym of changing are dictated the input of eyes, nose, intuition.

In what i have experienced raising 'morphlets' of all amphibian species - they do best with lowest mortality rates when their environs are changed Before it 'Needs' it. I have not bred that many but ordered many lots of babies at earlier stages than what were standard offer from breeders and suppliers accepting risk for the better price for an employer.

I have a different modality of not restricting air exchange as much as what seems to be the cannonized norm, and not imposing uniform 'wetness' but providing opportunities to immerse in shallow, easily replaced water and having options to be 'dryer' if they choose. As I type I am thinking a large group of golden mantella froglets as an example.

I dont really know whats happening with the dead fly thing you describe. Or if they are actually gnat pupae (on the side? Edge? Wall?)

If flies are drowning, or the media is so uniformlywet that gnats are laying their eggs elsewhere than in the media then its probably too uniformly wet to be heathy for the froglets.

Sog Kills.
Socratic Monologue likes this.

Last edited by Kmc; 10-28-2019 at 06:52 AM.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:38 PM

I get the dead flies on the sides of plastic bins as you described, could use a lil more airflow, but as to cleaning, Ill clean (wipe off the sides as needed) or when i sell off all the froglets in the bin, so could be 3-4 months inbetween cleanings.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:49 PM

Just went through the same thing. Since it will take a few months for froglets to grow out ive just turned to including a false bottom and completely got rid of all sphagnum moss. It gets nasty and you cant drain it the same way you can with a false bottom. In a grow out bin you dont need egg crate. The dead flies may be from feeding too much. I overfed for a while because i was scared some froglets wouldnt get food. Now that they are larger im a lot less worried and there are a lot less dead flies. I would also include microfauna if you havent already.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:33 AM

Identical setup exchange can expedite transfer experience to a few seconds of maneuver. Side by side at-the-ready, deli catch cup, lid, or quiet finger cowboy.

Babies use simple environments, froglets, spiderlings, supernaturally swift saurians, the fragile and fast. Even the cork shards and flat pebbles in more principalic situ is duplicatable, for the clean twin exchange trick.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:51 PM

There are water Beads on the side walls and top so I assume that may be my problem.

The frogs usually hang out on the top under the lid.

How do you setup a false bottom? Agb etc like in the tanks?

I have put lots of springtails.

I'll upload pictures when I can.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:02 PM

They are attempting to station themselves in less unfavorable conditions.

A bin baby environs is exceptionally easy to duplicate and use in a rotation with very little effort. Round em up, tip em in, let em out in fresh situ.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:10 AM

Are those the 128 oz bins from joshs?

Old 11-05-2019, 12:42 AM

I dont know if you are addressing your question to me, or another poster but, no. I am not referring to any particular bin.

I have always used glass tanks mostly. There were always alot around and for fry I liked the low profile footprints of standard tanks with sliding screens. There is also a smaller footprint that I used for single neonates. I have used bins for raising axolotl fry because they accomodated technique I was using.

To clarify I have had my share of phib eggs happen but my work in the genre belies my reluctance in entrepreneurship. I purposefully stopped all breeding with almost all animals a few years before I left my vocation because I had seen enough, and there Were enough. And I could not divorce myself from where the animals would end up, no matter how carefully they were stewarded in sale, and what kind of life they would live.

That is why I like this place, and the dedication expressed.

For what its worth I have found a fog line at the sub margin or patterning the wall of container is what to aim for.

Beading or a rivulet dynamic is too much
Old 11-05-2019, 01:00 AM

My point is, if I may speak out of the box, is that because of the simplicity of neo environments, whether the container used is this bin or that glass tank, having two to rotate in identical set ups warrants the scant moments of interference of transfer, and that chronic stress of less hygienic circumstances is less desirable (imo)

Also make sure the media isnt seething with invertebrate presence. It stresses the froglets.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:33 PM

So thrown out all the sphagnum, and start over every... month?

Old 11-09-2019, 10:14 PM

Every 22 days. Exactly. Just kidding but you kind if get what I mean? Its like discussing wound care on a forum. Especially where moisture, multitudinous feeder influx, and 'continual' waste deposition is being applied. Its easy to nail down for the most part, how often to spot clean/thorough out a dry situ habitat. But there are some things you must see, smell and know for your self.

it depends also on how much trouble they give you. It directly correlates to the stress levels of both you and your charges. That is why not being shy to include managements is valuable. The more familiar we become with our animals gifts, the better developed our own become.

A "Master" container may be of use as a buffer, big enough to work in if the shallowness of your bins worries you. It will help ease transfer. I have used a large tank and sometimes a bin with fast spiders and geckos, it gives you time when seconds count.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:37 PM

Do you throw out the spagnum or rinse off and put back?

Old 11-10-2019, 04:25 PM

If it is only mildly mildewy smelling from being in a darkened hide I rinse it thru a large kitchen sieve and currently, let it dry on the screen of an empty tank I have. Which aint always empty sometimes I juice up banded crickets in there.

With frogs I use fresh. Right now at home I have a "rescued" imitator, a group of bumblebee toads and a couple Aussie Whites and I give them fresh moss. When I took care of anywhere from a dozen to 30ish frogs at a time I also used fresh as when I broke it down it seemed to me that the time spent rinsing it and then giving it a dechlor soak and finding a place to dry it where I was sure peripheral fall out stuff wouldnt disturb or contaminate it, made it worth grabbing more.

I prefer using fresh stuff. Im not much of a popular consumer so i dont mind buying moss. That could change, certainly.

I have a 160 watt mercury uvb bulb that I recieved by mistake. I wanted the 100 but I have been thinking of setting up an outfit for drying and sanitizing substrate, etc with it.