Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2019, 02:13 PM

Default Sensitivity to Leaking Magnets

I might be thinking with my reefing hat on too much when it comes to this, but I'm working on a few things for a Viv build and a Palidarium build and wanted to use some magnets to hold in some of the hardscape as I can work on moving things around as necessary. I know some magnets will start to swell when exposed to moisture, and I was curious if swollen magnet will cause any issues in a setup? Mainly if any rust getting into the system is a big problem.

I can't find the right dimensions of rubber coated magnets and seem to be limited to epoxy coated and/or 'sealed' magnets which I know tend to swell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Sensitivity to Leaking Magnets

All neodymium magnets are coated in alternating layers of copper and nickel, both of which are quite toxic to aquatic life. All coatings that I've heard of (I'm a reefer, too) eventually can fail when immersed. I've had coral deaths from failed magnets.

That said, in a non-water contact situation, I'd be somewhat less worried. Even if the non-metallic coating was breached, I don't know that any (or much) of the heavy metals would enter the viv.

I believe ferrite magnets would be inert in a viv setup (they are in fresh and saltwater), but best to do some research on that to confirm.

- Whitman
Old 10-21-2019, 04:05 PM

Yep, I've tinkered with a lot of different magnets for reef applications in an R&D tank and at the end everything ruptured over time unless it was fully encased in rubber.

I'm looking to mount my cork rounds with magnets so I can move them around my Hygrolon background so I'm able to change them out if I stumble upon a better looking round and/or want to move a brom from one enclosure to another if it starts to get too big. Being removable and able to be placed anywhere seemed ideal, but I couldn't figure out what magnet to go with. I figure since it's going to be butting up against Hygrolon it's 'semi' aquatic as it's going to be constantly damp, just not submerged.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:51 PM

Something like these?

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/products...cri=66&scri=67

- Whitman
The Following User Says Thank You to Socratic Monologue For This Useful Post:
Kmc (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 06:55 PM

Yep, I use KJ magnets in my reef. I was hoping to see if I could find an alternative for them as they don't offer lower volume pricing. Most likely though, I'll end up going with KJ.