Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2019, 12:45 AM

Default First Dart Frog Vivarium Setup

Need some advice with first setup:

I am in the very beginning stages of researching/setting up my first setup for dart frogs. It’s the largest exoterra (36”x18”x36”).
It’s going to be a display tank sitting in my living room so I want it done well, both functionally and cosmetically.

1. Do I build egg crate false bottom or use a drainage course layer of media? Pros and cons if any.
2. What wood, other than cork bark, is okay in dart frogs humid Environment with minimal breakdown over time?
3. Lighting that comes highly recommended?
4. I plan on installing an external plumbed circulation fan unit in piping on the top rear with an option to also be exhaust fan. I’m thinking one fan will be enough for for this? What are some of the fans you guys use and like? Also let me know if one fan isn’t enough for the size of vivarium I am doing. Feel free to elaborate on opinions of airflow, exhaust, recirculating methods!
5. For a mistking setup how many heads/nozzles should I allow for in the glass top when I get it cut/drilled? Three - right/center/left in the front? Or two doubles would be sufficient?
6. Assuming LED light bar doesn’t keep temps in mid/low 70’s during winter months what is everyone using? Main room is around 1,500 sf and ambient during winter is 68-70.
7. Last and least I was told by someone that I could mix species of frogs as long as they were species that could not interbreed and would get along in a large enclosure (he had a few in mind but I do not recall which ones). Everything I’ve read otherwise tells me that’s a bad idea.

I appreciate the time you guys take to read and answer any of my thoughts/concerns. Please feel free to answer none, a few or all of these 😂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 12:51 AM

One last thing - thoughts on bulkhead drain vs pipe to suck out surplus water on occasion?
Old 10-18-2019, 01:05 AM

Default Re: First Dart Frog Vivarium Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesV View Post
[...]
1. Do I build egg crate false bottom or use a drainage course layer of media? Pros and cons if any.
Having built many vivaria over the years different ways, I really like an actual false bottom just because it gives me peace of mind about where the water level is actually at to prevent wicking into the substrate.

But I hate egg-crate. I use low-density Matala but it's on the pricey side.

Quote:
2. What wood, other than cork bark, is okay in dart frogs humid Environment with minimal breakdown over time?
I think some of the denser aquarium woods like manzanita, mopani or 'nainital' (marketed as such by Aquaglobe) could hold up quite a few years but it's difficult to predict based on differing humidity levels, saturation, etc. To be honest I don't worry too much about it, if I get 7-10 years out of my current build I'm happy.

Maybe some others here with more experience can respond, but I've never had wood decay to the point of structural compromise in even the wettest vivaria, but that wasn't past 5 years.

Quote:
Have you checked out Spectral Designs?

Quote:
7. Last and least I was told by someone that I could mix species of frogs as long as they were species that could not interbreed and would get along in a large enclosure (he had a few in mind but I do not recall which ones). Everything Iíve read otherwise tells me thatís a bad idea.
I wouldn't do it, just my opinion. I like to minimize and control variables over the long-term.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:21 AM

Sorry last one - How much of a gap (if any) should I have along the front top for natural ventilation?
Old 10-18-2019, 01:45 AM

Lots of great questions! You'll want (need) many more POVs and ideas than you'll get from this thread, so please do read all the archived threads that are relevant (use the search bar above). That way, a thousand DB users will be helping you.

Oh, I'll help on one:

Quote:
7. Last and least I was told by someone that I could mix species of frogs as long as they were species that could not interbreed and would get along in a large enclosure (he had a few in mind but I do not recall which ones). Everything Iíve read otherwise tells me thatís a bad idea.
Everything you've read otherwise is the best advice.

PS: stop researching vivs for a while, and research frogs. Once you know all about all the frogs and their care (and choose the species you want to keep; they have different viv requirements, optimally), you'll be well on your way to building the viv.

- Whitman
Old 10-18-2019, 01:59 AM

Quote:
I've used egg crate wrapped in landscaping fabric for about 2 years. I have it placed in an exoterra vivarium with PVC supports and Coco-Fiber on top as a substrate. I divided the egg crate into three sections and cut the PVC pipes at different heights to create a sloping effect for the substrate. It's worked ok for me. During my moves, a few of the PVC supports fell over, and I haven't been able to right them without tearing apart my vivarium, but it's still holding strong despite this.

Quote:
Fahad had some excellent suggestions in his post. I'd also add driftwood to that list.

Quote:
The light's mostly for your plants, so I think it would depend on the plants you have. Speaking from personal experience, I have had the most success with 6400 Kelvin CFL bulbs from Home Depot. I have always relatively hardy plants (mostly pothos vines and bromeliads) in my vivarium, but these bulbs have also worked really well for my aquarium plants and grown them to a large size.

Quote:
One last thing - thoughts on bulkhead drain vs pipe to suck out surplus water on occasion?
If you don't want to bother with setting up a drain/pipe, I've always used a small siphon to remove excess water. Once a month or so, I snake it into the bottom of the terrarium between my false bottom and the glass and siphon like it's a fish tank. The vinyl tubing that they sell for refrigerators is perfect for this. Sometimes, my frog comes out to see what I'm doing while I siphon.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Lots of great questions! You'll want (need) many more POVs and ideas than you'll get from this thread, so please do read all the archived threads that are relevant (use the search bar above). That way, a thousand DB users will be helping you.

Oh, I'll help on one:

Everything you've read otherwise is the best advice.

PS: stop researching vivs for a while, and research frogs. Once you know all about all the frogs and their care (and choose the species you want to keep; they have different viv requirements, optimally), you'll be well on your way to building the viv.
thanks, i'll do just that!
Old 10-18-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobrien9 View Post
I've used egg crate wrapped in landscaping fabric for about 2 years. I have it placed in an exoterra vivarium with PVC supports and Coco-Fiber on top as a substrate. I divided the egg crate into three sections and cut the PVC pipes at different heights to create a sloping effect for the substrate. It's worked ok for me. During my moves, a few of the PVC supports fell over, and I haven't been able to right them without tearing apart my vivarium, but it's still holding strong despite this.

Fahad had some excellent suggestions in his post. I'd also add driftwood to that list.

The light's mostly for your plants, so I think it would depend on the plants you have. Speaking from personal experience, I have had the most success with 6400 Kelvin CFL bulbs from Home Depot. I have always relatively hardy plants (mostly pothos vines and bromeliads) in my vivarium, but these bulbs have also worked really well for my aquarium plants and grown them to a large size.

If you don't want to bother with setting up a drain/pipe, I've always used a small siphon to remove excess water. Once a month or so, I snake it into the bottom of the terrarium between my false bottom and the glass and siphon like it's a fish tank. The vinyl tubing that they sell for refrigerators is perfect for this. Sometimes, my frog comes out to see what I'm doing while I siphon.
much appreciated!
Old 10-18-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahad View Post
Having built many vivaria over the years different ways, I really like an actual false bottom just because it gives me peace of mind about where the water level is actually at to prevent wicking into the substrate.

But I hate egg-crate. I use low-density Matala but it's on the pricey side.

I think some of the denser aquarium woods like manzanita, mopani or 'nainital' (marketed as such by Aquaglobe) could hold up quite a few years but it's difficult to predict based on differing humidity levels, saturation, etc. To be honest I don't worry too much about it, if I get 7-10 years out of my current build I'm happy.

Maybe some others here with more experience can respond, but I've never had wood decay to the point of structural compromise in even the wettest vivaria, but that wasn't past 5 years.

Have you checked out Spectral Designs?

I wouldn't do it, just my opinion. I like to minimize and control variables over the long-term.
thanks for the tips