Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kimcmich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 07:15 PM

Default A fungus Among Us

Can anybody ID this orange fungus? I got my vivariums set up a few weeks ago and have been waiting for cultures to build and the smells so settle down before I add my frogs. But this mold does not seem to be going away.

When I first noticed the mold about a week ago I added more springtails right next to that area but it just seems to be spreading, am I doing something wrong?

TIA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191009_141002_1570648489807.jpg (62.7 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 09:54 PM

Default Re: A fungus Among Us

Greetings,

Your image is not especially clear but you could have a bloom of "yellow houseplant mushroom" (Leucocoprinus sp) - a common volunteer in vivs, houseplants and potting soil. What you see now is the mycelia and, if it continues to be happy, bright yellow mushrooms may follow.

This fungus is harmless to your viv and will usually come and go on its own without any extra effort on your part.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:12 PM

Hopefully these pictures are clearer. I've seen yellow houseplant mushrooms before and these don't really resemble that. There is no height to the fungus or mold whatever it is. It's covering a span of like 5 or 6 inches. If it's still there in a week or two could this potentially hurt my frogs?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Old 10-09-2019, 10:46 PM

Greetings,

This still looks like yellow houseplant fungus but it could be a crustose fungus with a golden color.

It is not likely to be harmful to your frogs and, given time, will recede after it exhausts the critical nutrients it needs. Your substrate looks a bit dry (even though I can see water droplets on the some of the leaves). A dry substrate can mummify mycelia allowing them to persist longer then they would in wetter conditions. Iif you keep the substrate evenly most then other fungi and springtails will do a faster job of eating this one.
narnythegreat likes this.