Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2019, 06:04 PM

Default exottera substrate mix

I live in a country that only have exottera products available for substrate, anyone has any recommended mixing ratio for exottera products?
It wont be for dark frogs because dart frogs are illegal here......
I will be using it for a phelsuma grandis bio active vivrium.

**edit**
my current plan is to do something like this:
1 part - PLANTATION SOIL - BRICK / TROPICAL TERRARIUM SUBSTRATE
2 parts - COCO HUSK (BRICK) / TROPICAL TERRARIUM SUBSTRATE
2 parts - FOREST MOSS / TROPICAL TERRARIUM SUBSTRATE
Will it be ok?
Maybe i should add some activated aquarium carbon?

Last edited by DavD; 09-21-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2019, 11:59 PM

Default Re: exottera substrate mix

I dont think it really matters that much. All the phelsuma ive kept dont have much of a relationship with the ground including their fecal matter as if they do they are too close to it spatially. The walls, cork and leaves become the repository for defecating and if they "like" their home they choose a general spot to drop.

How to tell if they like their environment?.. When they slip out they slip back in if they are not heavy handedly prompted, and they've lived there a few years.

I feed my geckos insects as a significant part of their diet so I make sure there are toothy planes, surfaces and attractant ( fruit or better - protein based smudges) in manageable aspect to keep them where the animals hunt. I dont want them ingesting mouthfuls of milled sub.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Maybe i should add some activated aquarium carbon?
That seems like the most expensive way to go. Do you have plant nurseries or florist shops? Gardening charcoal would work fine and it's usually cheaper.

Quote:
only have exottera products available for substrate
See above. Exact same words, just remove "charcoal" and insert "coco husk", "milled sphagnum", etc. Look up some substrate recipes here. The aquarium store is almost always more expensive than the plant store, for substrate supplies and cage props.

Do you plan on having a drainage layer? Definitely have one.

Quote:
I feed my geckos insects as a significant part of their diet so I make sure there are toothy planes, surfaces and attractant ( fruit or better - protein based smudges) in manageable aspect to keep them where the animals hunt. I dont want them ingesting mouthfuls of milled sub.
This is useful and wise. Do you understand what she's saying? Organize your tank so any feeder insects make themselves available for predation (like, by sitting and eating insect food) in places that don't lead to the lizard getting a mouthful of dirt when it attacks the insect. You could also (in addition - not instead) use a layer of dry leaves atop the substrate.

Obviously I'm taking you at your word, and assuming you're not a corporate marketing troll.

Good luck!

Last edited by jgragg; 09-27-2019 at 12:32 AM. Reason: gender error, I suspect

Old 09-28-2019, 07:04 PM

Will you be misting or spraying the tank frequently?
If so, that mix would get very soggy and foul smelling after a while. All three ingredients are good at absorbing large amounts of water. Two of the ingredients are the same but in different size chunks.
I would add something that will incorporate air pockets and allow water to drain to prevent anaerobic bacteria buildup and give the ground a chance to dry a bit.
Also with mostly cocofiber, this will be pretty acidic. That may limit plant options.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:37 AM

Its important not to over mist Phelsuma, they should not live in wet situ, and being radiant heat baskers it is a balance of full, beaded mist coverage that lasts long enough without stagnating in a closed system.

The mist event should blow off significantly with factors of radiant light and good ventilation. Arboreals Need Air.

If they be wet, they can develop illnesses and topical fungal infections. These can damage lamellae structures and interfere with locomotion and quality of life.