Dendroboard banner

Dart frog and fish paludarium.

17K views 65 replies 10 participants last post by  jgragg 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new to dart frogs. I have several aquariums w/ fish though so I am a fish guy lol. I would love to start a paludarium with a glass divider between the land and water, with dart frogs on the land part and fish and Amazonian plants in the water. I have a few questions:

First, I read a post on here from 2016 that said not to do water features. I was actually thinking of doing one, can someone tell me why I should not?

Second, the tank will be a 40 breeder. Should I just section off half of this tank? It is a 36x18x18 tank. This is what Josh's frogs recommend for 2-3 bumblebee dart frogs, which is what I want to get. If these frogs like to climb, should I cut the bottom out of the 18x18x18 Exo Terra tank and mount this on top?

Sorry for all the questions, I know next to nothing about keeping frogs.

#3 ·
They're fine, I think, if you want someone else to do the planning for you.

If you are thinking that you want to take the pre-planned route, I do not think a dart frog paludarium is something to take on just yet. Engineering anything as complex as you're talking about is a big task requiring a lot of research and, ideally, experience keeping frogs in a relatively more simple frog viv.

I'm a big downer on complex enclosures, mostly because I start from a different place. I learn of a frog species I want to keep, then learn what that frog needs to thrive in captivity, then (if I still want to keep that species after learning what it needs) I build a viv for it. Then I get the frogs.

No darts need water features/waterfalls/paludaria, so those things have never appealed to me.

#7 ·
Do note that JF's kits can be edited; you can, if you want, use the listed items as a base shopping list, then do some research before purchase and find, say, that a digital hygrometer is a $25 waste, and, say, that there are hardscape elements you like more than a manzanita branch, or you learn about plants you like that might not come in the 'what do we have that isn't selling well' package.

#15 ·
Reactions: Encyclia
#24 ·
I am very overwhelmed by information right now. As of a month ago, I didn't know people had dart frogs in their homes, so this is very new to me. The plant part is also very hard for me to understand, as I have only kept aquatic plants. I am also confused as to whether or not I need a heater. Cleaning the habitat is a mystery too. Can you please tell me what to get? A thermometer? A humidity reader?

#30 ·
aquanerd13, would you do me a favor and count how many times in this thread people have helpfully suggested you search for the information you're looking for?

After you do that, please post that number as a reply to this post. Thanks.

#33 ·
I do believe ya.

Here's a great tip on how to use an OLD forum/medium like this that existed eons before Zuckbook...

Find your topic via the search engine built in here on DB or use google.

THEN after reading the thread and still needing clarification, go ahead and POST your reply DIRECTLY on that old thread.

We will see it and we will better help you that way, instead of shotgunning questions here.

The old heads, back before atomic weapons, used to refer to this as 'Thread Necromancy'. Perfectly useful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.