Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2019, 03:54 PM

Default Temporary Container Potential Problem?

Hello all,

I am temporary housing a froglet in a 7.5 quart Tupperware. I have new zealand sphagnum moss filled up to about 3 inches. I have oak leaf scattered all over. In addition I have a coconut hut and Pothos house plant cuttings. I might have a problem. I had filled water 2 inches high so the moss was soaked fully. Basically my moss is submersed in water for about 2 weeks. I start to notice a light odor smell maybe from dead fruit flies? Is this a problem with my moss being overwet? My frog seems happy and healthy since the humidty is high. If a drainage is needed, I can build one with egg crates.

0.0.3 D. azureus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2019, 04:20 PM

After soaking the moss you should wring it out a bit. The smell is probably the beginnings of a Cyanobacteria population.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:23 PM

Are you saying that there is 2 inches of sitting water in the moss or was this when you were rehydrating it?

Old 09-04-2019, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Temporary Container Potential Problem?

Yes, the moss is sitting on top of the water. The water level is almost at the same level of the moss. If there is a bacteria starting, whats the first step I should do? I know I need to wring out the moss a bit when I get home today. Should I be concerned about the cyanobacteria starting?

0.0.3 D. azureus
Old 09-04-2019, 10:00 PM

A concern are the waste gases from any bacterial bloom that will build in stagnant sog situ. Temporary small containment is best kept utilitarian and diligently stewarded. Security and tactile favor for stress important. Easily fulfilled simply. I like light cork crescent pieces and a moist fluffy moss bed.

I keep my small temporaries (that are over a day) modestly moist with a shallow of clean water for hydration. A lid with a pebble. A wasabi dish with 2. A mini petri or similiar.

A temp container is not meant for bioactive potential. Its basically a hospital environs in neutral principle.

As a small tangential; a smudge of fruit baby food on tupp wall will organize FF behavior helpfully. At eyeline level near subject hide opening. It will be of courteous access to the frog impacted by novel situ and reduce chaotic nourishment seeking of the flies, allowing the hygienic efficiency of less being released into containment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kmc For This Useful Post:
hungrymonkeyx3 (09-04-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 10:14 PM

Thank you for that information. When I go home today, I will first clean out the moss with fresh RO water and wring out. next I will smear banana on the walls of the Tupperware. I never though of the idea of a dish with pebbles and water for hydration... because I felt like that wasn't enough to keep the humidity high therefore, I had soaked all of my moss with lots of water. Which negatively impacted with bacteria growth...

0.0.3 D. azureus
Old 09-04-2019, 10:45 PM

If I were you, I would throw out the used moss and start with some new. The: "Wring it out - Its Reusable!" is flexible marketing rhetoric.

A very small amount of fruit slurry is needed. Barely more than an olfactory cue.

I like to keep it uniform, readily locatable and easy to wipe away.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kmc For This Useful Post:
hungrymonkeyx3 (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 02:28 AM

You will just want the moss to be damp to the touch, not sitting in water. As long as the container is closed it shouldn't dry out too fast. You can mist it as needed but there shouldn't be any standing water in the bottom unless you have a drainage layer. I believe northern frogger has some videos on youtube that show his sphagnum based froglet growouts.
I do mine a little bit differently. I set up a latching steralite shoebox half way with ABG mix and use it as a large springtail culture first. That way there is plenty of food for newly morphed froglets. I raise tadpoles in Mason jars or deli cups until they start absorbing their tails. When I have tadpoles ready to morph out I put in a layer of leaf litter over the ABG and set condiment cups with the tadpoles that are absorbing their tails on the leaf litter. As the tadpoles leave the water I remove those cups. A few days after the first froglet leaves the water I add a small slice of banana to one corner of the tub and start adding a small number of dusted melanogasters fruit flies daily. After a month or two I move the froglets in groups of 3 or 4 to a planted 10 gallon growout tank with a drainage layer, and ABG capped with plenty of leaf litter. From there I move them to bigger vivariums as they approach maturity. Everyone does things differently so find what works for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Okapi For This Useful Post:
hungrymonkeyx3 (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 03:30 PM

The fruit slurry on the side wall/corner is such a good idea since its easily accessible with a wipe to control flies because I do have a lot of dead flies that drowns in the condensation from roaming. I will definitely save and check out northern frogger on you tube since my builds resolves around sphagnum moss (I bought the whole sale big bag therefore I have plenty and won't reuse it.) You guys have been great help in my frog endeavors, I will one day relay my information to new comers in the far future.

0.0.3 D. azureus
Old 09-05-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrymonkeyx3 View Post
my builds resolves around sphagnum moss
A bit OT, but many here are very skeptical of too much sphagnum moss in vivs (as opposed to temporary growout containers). Spag holds too much water, isn't the best material for microfauna or plants, and breaks down quicker than something like ABG.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:10 PM

Are you planning on doing the cork bark mosaic background for your future vivarium builds? Cork bark slabs siliconed to the back wall with the gaps between the cork stuffed with sphagnum moss.