Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Dendroboard

Dendroboard (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/)
-   Beginner Discussion (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Best frogs for groups? (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/beginner-discussion/352864-best-frogs-groups.html)

ambilobe 09-03-2019 03:14 AM

Best frogs for groups?

I know Leucs are good in groups, but are any of the tincs ok as well?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Encyclia 09-03-2019 02:41 PM

Re: Best frogs for groups?

Not typically, no. It can be done, but you would be likely to have trouble (I know, I know - some of you have done it for years, but I think it's risky and I have seen too many examples of it not working). Tincs are easiest in 1.1, just like most dart frogs. I have had good luck keeping Auratus and Terribilis in groups. I do have some aggression in the Terribs, but it doesn't result in enough impact that anybody loses weight or stops breeding. There might be aggression with Auratus, as well, but I wouldn't know it because I don't see them often enough. I had good luck with Anthonyii and continue to have luck with Quinquevittatus (though see my note on Auratus above and that applies to Quinqs, too). Galacts seemed ok when I had them, too. All of these are just suggestions, though. Any of these suggestions might results in aggression that can be very dangerous to the frogs.

Mark

tardis101 09-07-2019 09:10 PM

Unfortunately not really. A lot of the species we have in the hobby are territorial so there is often same sex aggression (although which sex is more aggressive depends on the species). Tincs aren't group frogs and its goes badly the vast majority of the time typically the same with pums. I tried two female tincs in a heavily planted 55 gallon viv and the dominant frog went after the other within about 5 minutes of being in the tank. Leucs, auratus, galacs, phyllobates, are a few of the larger and group tolerant species.

Socratic Monologue 09-07-2019 10:12 PM

Not 'good in groups', but rather
Quote:

Originally Posted by tardis101 (Post 3072152)
group tolerant

I like that.

DPfarr 09-08-2019 12:23 AM

My leucomelas are probably my favorite species I have. Love their dynamic with each other. Even still, at 6 in a 18x18x24 there is still a bit of breeding aggression.

Fahad 09-08-2019 12:45 AM

Years ago I grew up a couple of groups of tincs together -- a group of 4 and another of 3. They did okay in 90 gallon vivs with plenty of broken sight-lines, hides and levels, but I think I got lucky.

I did see some aggression from time to time but it was sporadic, and they weren't all in there together longer than a couple of years or so -- who knows what it would have been like long-term.

I have a feeling the lowest animal in the hierarchy would have suffered eventually.

TarantulaGuy 09-08-2019 03:00 PM

Phyllobates aurotaenia are great group frogs, pretty, and have the best calls in the hobby. Plus, you can raise tadpoles communally. Win win win in my book.

Okapi 09-08-2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarantulaGuy (Post 3072210)
Phyllobates aurotaenia are great group frogs, pretty, and have the best calls in the hobby. Plus, you can raise tadpoles communally. Win win win in my book.

I second this

Pubfiction 09-08-2019 06:13 PM

Dendrobates auratus
Epipedobates anthonyi

PumilioTurkey 09-18-2019 01:15 AM

Terribilis are often described as good starter frogs for groups.

they are forgiving of beginner mistakes to some extend and I have had no trouble in keeping them in groups.

Tinctorius and Pumilio are a high-risk game when it comes to keeping them in groups.

I had a 2.1. Cauchero trio that would harmonize...but also lost some frogs to aggression with other morphs.

pdxrad808 09-19-2019 08:22 PM

Anyone recommend how many Teribillis in a 30x12x12? Heavily planted. lots of layers.

TarantulaGuy 09-19-2019 08:49 PM

None. That's a rubbish size for frogs that are that big. Not the answer you're looking for, but anything that's "x" x 12 x 12 is really not ideal for darts. Also, try not to hijack someone else's thread ;) You can start your own for unique questions, or try to utilize the search feature which will pull up all kinds of helpful threads and knowledge.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Tijl 09-19-2019 11:56 PM

Why does no one say ameerega? In the years i've been in the hobby, I've seen almost every morph of this species kept in group and always succesfull. Even after many years they remain to trive well in group. This is not always the case for other genus.

My A. Hahneli are also kept in group of 4 since 2014 . Currently I keep their 1 year old offspring are in a group of 14 animals together and I've seen none aggression or problems, all frogs are very healthy, same size, males calling next to each other, no dominance between females,... Only positive things to say...

Greets,
Tijl

TarantulaGuy 09-20-2019 12:58 AM

Ameerega are great. I had a group of bassleri for a while; still keep a pair of females together. They're beautiful, and hands down my favorite genus. Just not a frog I'd generally recommend starting with as they need a ton of space, are harder to breed, and froglets can be a tad more delicate than other species.