No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue
  • 1 Post By KevinSA
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2019, 12:22 AM

Default What does 70% Humidity 'Look' Like?

Hey, everyone! I'm in the early stages of my paludarium planning and am doing as much research as I can.

I have a 18x18x24 Exo Terra whose bottom portion will be water. The top portion will have a planted background and stream. I am aiming for 60-70% humidity. I live in Texas where the average outdoor humidity is in that range (it swings dramatically, was 35% yesterday, will be 60% Sunday). I assume my house is 10-20% lower on average. The goal is to make a Texas-native vivarium on top and nano tank on bottom. I will, of course, be getting a hygrometer, but I have to build my plans around my target range.

What does a 60-70% humidity paludarium setup look like? How much do moderately planted native plants add to humidity? Is it best to leave the lid as entirely mesh? Replace one portion with glass?

Any insight or advice would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2019, 02:31 AM

Default Re: What does 70% Humidity 'Look' Like?

A stock Exo Terra will reach (near) ambient humidity within hours or less after misting. It isn't possible to be very precise with top coverage recommendations, since your plantings, substrate, misting schedule, airflow in the room, etc, etc, will affect your setup.

Experimenting with covering varying amounts of the screen top with plastic wrap, acrylic scraps, or similar will give you an idea of how much you need to restrict ventilation.

If this is for your anole, I wouldn't get too worked up about hitting some certain target humidity. They tolerate any humidity above 50% as long as there is some fresh air coming in, and if there are brief excursions to lower humidity, they can hide in a damp spot until it is over. In my limited experience, dart frogs are nearly as tolerant.

Also if this is for your anole, you're going to need to leave a good portion screened, anyway, for UV penetration. I also don't like shooting heat lamps through glass, but I've read that other folks do that successfully.
Kmc likes this.

- Whitman
Old 07-28-2019, 05:54 AM

Thanks for the response! It is indeed for the anole. I know that at least half of the top will need to be screen for UVB. It seems like the best course of action is to get the hygrometer very early on and just monitor it as I build to give me an idea of what I'm working with.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:40 PM

Thank you very much, Socratic Monologue! This was helpful to me as well.

Kevin

btw

Love your username
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinSA View Post
Love your username
Thanks! It is a play on 'Socratic Dialogue' (the Socratic dialogues, for folks who didn't waste years of college reading stuff that only makes you wise rather than wealthy, are conversations recorded by Plato in which Socrates says all of the intelligent things and everyone else acts dumb so Socrates can look smart). Somewhere along the way, these so-called 'dialogues' reminded me of many internet forums; I'm really glad DB isn't so one-sided.
Do_Gon likes this.

- Whitman
Old 09-11-2019, 09:16 PM

IME having high humidity in that range looks like this, you can always look at the substrate and see it is damp. It never looks dry on the top. Does that make sense?

The leaves and other parts of the vivarium higher up may dry out.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:22 PM

You will have no worries with an AM and Dusk full misting, and, if you are available - a couple courtesy mistings in between.

Full sun - enjoyed by even fully by neo tropic anolis sp, in tandem with the underestimated reality of air being unrestricted and moving - always moving in native situ negate much worry in this respect.

These small lizards bask and respirate deeply. If you mist well no reason to restrict air. jmo