facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By salvz
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2019, 02:08 PM

Default Advice micro fauna

Hi all,
New to the forum. Its been about 15 years since I had to re-home my azureus due to a research opportunity in Alaska. I was wondering if mixing multiple species of isopods in the viv would be ok? Working on a 55 gallon project that will either be thumbnails or auratus (wont be until next year when it is well grown in). Anyways is there any issue with keeping several species of isos in a tank? Back when I used to keep I just had dwarf whites and Armadillidium vulgare. I would like to do a large mix as well as continue to culture independantly. Currently have active cultures of AV, dwarf white, dwarf purple, dairy cow, zebra, powder blue, and powder orange. Would love to have populations of all of them in the terrarium. I know some will out compete others and some will be food, especially if i end up with auratus. Are there any issues I should be aware of with a diverse mix? Thank in advance for any advice/guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Advice micro fauna

I think you answered your own question. Ones that fill the same niche will basically compete with eachother. Seeing as how they all serve the same purpose (tank janitors), it doesnt seem to add any benefit to add multiple species. Some species will either dissapear over time or never establish at all. With a large enough tank a few species might establish but i doubt every species you listed would remain. I dont think it would hurt to give it a try though and it would be interesting to see which species survive and how many make it.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:28 PM

The only thing you have to lose is $$ buying and seeding with species that are likely to be out-competed and completely eliminated. The upside is that the last specie or species "left standing" will have proven themselves to be well-suited to your particular setup and, theoretically, a more efficient clean up crew.
Mmkco likes this.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:58 PM

Thanks y'all, that's kind of what I figured. The competition was my main concer...no real lost money as they are well developed cultures I seeded myself. My hope was for the larger slower breeding species not to be eaten while the smaller guys would be kept in check by being dinner and hopefully distract the frogs from the babies....I'll give it a go and see how they do
Old 07-03-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorphunk View Post
Thanks y'all, that's kind of what I figured. The competition was my main concer...no real lost money as they are well developed cultures I seeded myself. My hope was for the larger slower breeding species not to be eaten while the smaller guys would be kept in check by being dinner and hopefully distract the frogs from the babies....I'll give it a go and see how they do
It would be valuable if you took some notes and reported back on which species won out, and possible variables that affected that outcome.
highvoltagerob likes this.

Whitman
Old 07-11-2019, 02:12 PM

Yes please do report back. Iíve asked this question before and never found much of an answer, so it would be great to have some fresh info on it!
Old 07-12-2019, 01:15 AM

I second (third?) the others requesting a follow-up, it'd be super helpful info!