Brand new aspiring frogger - want to keep Patricias and have a few questions - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jtherr
  • 1 Post By jgragg
  • 1 Post By S2G

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2019, 05:58 PM

Default Brand new aspiring frogger - want to keep Patricias and have a few questions

So Iíve got decades of experience with reef tanks, planted tanks, and all kinds of reptiles and invertebrates, but never had dart frogs. Iíve been researching and I think tinc pats will be a good fit for our house. Theyíre bold, good first frogs, and generally pretty quiet (we have all tile and the tiniest noise carries all over the house).

I was thinking of getting a 24x18x18 Exo Terra (although that size seems hard to find- most are 12Ē tall- is 12Ē okay since these are terrestrial?) and then getting a kit from NEHERP to complete it. If you were going to set up a tinc enclosure, is that how you would go about it? I live in the sticks so I have no local sources. I thought of getting an aquarium and doing that instead but it seems like the Exo Terra doors would be very convenient.

Speaking of being in the sticks I live in a desert so Iím guessing a misting system would make things a ton easier on me. Is there one that is considered best for this application?

Many thanks in advance for advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Brand new aspiring frogger - want to keep Patricias and have a few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceblues View Post
I was thinking of getting a 24x18x18 Exo Terra (although that size seems hard to find- most are 12Ē tall- is 12Ē okay since these are terrestrial?) and then getting a kit from NEHERP to complete it. If you were going to set up a tinc enclosure, is that how you would go about it? I live in the sticks so I have no local sources. I thought of getting an aquarium and doing that instead but it seems like the Exo Terra doors would be very convenient.

Speaking of being in the sticks I live in a desert so Iím guessing a misting system would make things a ton easier on me. Is there one that is considered best for this application?
I would personally go with at least something that is 18" high. After adding the drainage layer and substrate you won't have much room for any hardscape and will be limited in plant growth.

As for misting, the gold standard is mistking. With only one tank, however, you might want to see how quickly your humidity changes and go with hand misting first before making the investment.
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Brand new aspiring frogger - want to keep Patricias and have a few questions

Thank you for the reply - thatís kinda what I was thinking on the bright but just wanted to be sure. Itís so very dry here that misting is going to be crucial. I have to keep several humidifiers going in my music room for my instruments or they begin to fall apart.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:28 AM

Also, it looks like the Exo Terra comes with a background. Is it standard to use that one or to build your own? Pros and cons?

Old 06-10-2019, 02:55 AM

Many/most folks do not use the included foam background. The foam can degrade, and there are also concerns about chemical leaching.

Lots of threads here on building backgrounds. I myself don't make a 3-D background -- just clear glass or black plastic. Personal preference.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:20 PM

Buy the tallest vivarium you can handle up to 36 inches, it opens up way more room for a great look, hard scaping and plants. just my opinion. I regret every tank I have less than 24 inches tall. Remember alot of people here have big collection so for them density of vivariums is important which pushes them to shorter tanks but if you are starting with a small collection and a tank to that you want to look good taller is better. I always say go at least for the 18wx24tx18d size.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubfiction View Post
Buy the tallest vivarium you can handle up to 36 inches, it opens up way more room for a great look, hard scaping and plants. just my opinion. I regret every tank I have less than 24 inches tall. Remember alot of people here have big collection so for them density of vivariums is important which pushes them to shorter tanks but if you are starting with a small collection and a tank to that you want to look good taller is better. I always say go at least for the 18wx24tx18d size.

Itís funny you say this because I was JUST sitting here looking at 36Ē tall Exo Terras thinking Iíd much rather have one of those because it will be my only viv and I want a nice big display. That being said - whoa - the cost. The Exo Terra along goes up to $500.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
The Exo Terra along goes up to $500.
Shipped, maybe, or way overpriced. A fair price for the largest Exo is about $200 less.

That said, the glass box is one of the least expensive parts of any animal project, not even considering the years of upkeep budget. Consider all the costs associated with a certain size of viv before you make a decision.

I agree with the 'bigger is better' thought, but most (all?) frogs can be kept very well in a 18 x 18 x 24H, and some of the most interesting ones are comfortable in even smaller digs. Figure out first what frogs/plants you're attracted to, and only then look at vivs. I have a bank of 12 x 12 x 18H, and I love them, but I like thumbs the most.

At any size, though, height is a very important dimension, not only for the comfort of the frogs but for ease and beauty of landscaping.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I regret every tank I have less than 24 inches tall.
+1, fully agree

Quote:
the glass box is one of the least expensive parts of any animal project, not even considering the years of upkeep budget. Consider all the costs associated with a certain size of viv before you make a decision
Lots of truth here too. However, some of those other costs don't scale linearly with size:
  • E.g., a small light could cost $100 but a big light might only cost $150 - so the bigger one is a way better value. Water pumps are often this way too. Ditto misting setups - the main expense is the pump, even if you just have a single mister head. A few additional heads to cover more area isn't going to break the bank.
  • Another factor to consider - time and money can be interchangeable, in both directions. So you could spend the same amount of money on plants for a big viv, as for a small viv, by sticking to the same number of plants. The tank will be sparse at first. But over time, as the bought plants grow, pup, whatever - you can divide them & cover all the blank spots in your viv. For no more money.

I'd suggest stretching for the biggest viv you have space and money for. Definitely compare cost scenarios for different sizes, but as I said - don't just assume costs all scale linearly. Usually they flatten out, with all the steepness at the small end of the size range. If that makes sense to you...

Quote:
The Exo Terra along goes up to $500.
Quote:
Shipped, maybe, or way overpriced. A fair price for the largest Exo is about $200 less.
Most Definitely. No way you should give anyone $500 for the 36-18-36 Exo in 2019 unless perhaps they are bringing it to your door, unbroken, and you live way way way out in the sticks. The normal shelf price where I live is right about $300. I see them on sale in the stores for about $270 every year. I buy them then, and drive them home myself. You just have to take a little care to get them home safely. I have yet to break one I picked up. I have had quite a few I paid to have delivered get broken, and then had to deal with that. Can't recommend it.

Good luck!
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:04 PM

I'm in the same boat, brand new keeper looking to get Pats. I went with the 18x18x24 and am currently building it out- no frogs just yet. I'm trying to create tons of nooks and crannies for the Pats to get some alone time. How many Pats would you guys recommend for this size tank? Would love to get 3 or 4, hopefully a breeding pair.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savleigh View Post
I'm in the same boat, brand new keeper looking to get Pats. I went with the 18x18x24 and am currently building it out- no frogs just yet. I'm trying to create tons of nooks and crannies for the Pats to get some alone time. How many Pats would you guys recommend for this size tank? Would love to get 3 or 4, hopefully a breeding pair.
A pair only. Even if you did 2 males youre going to have a 3rd wheel in a tank that size.

You really don't need a giant group of tincs they're so big and bold they more than make up for it.
savleigh likes this.