Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2019, 08:10 PM

Default Dendrobates Leucomelas Morphs

I am currently researching dart frogs for a large vivarium I am in the process of building. I kept a pair of Azureus years ago, so I'm not brand new to the hobby, but I still have a lot to learn.Since the enclosure is pretty big, I intend to plant it heavily, provide plenty of hides, and keep a medium-sized group of frogs, rather than a pair or trio. I'd like an active, sociable frog that will be fairly visible. I'm leaning toward Leucomelas because they are bold, hardy, and do relatively well in groups.

At this point I'm just trying to narrow down the type of Leuc that would work best for my needs. From looking around, I'm seeing many different variants like Banded, Green footed, Nominant, Fine Spotted, and Orange Leucs. Are these different color morphs? I can't find much information on where they come from. Any difference in behavior or care requirements? Any personal recommendations on the "best" leucomelas or best place to buy them?

I'm still a long way from purchasing frogs. But I want to be ready when the time comes. 🙂 Thank you for any advise or help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Dendrobates Leucomelas Morphs

I have standard and fine spot. All will have the same care requirements and both of my morphs are pretty bold.

Fine spot can be a little harder to find, but there's typically a handful of one morph or the other available. Saw some standard leuc's on Josh's Frogs earlier this week. Might also be some breeders on here with some available or soon to be available.

I have 4 in a 36x18x18 and they're doing just fine.