No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By fishingguy12345
  • 1 Post By Encyclia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2019, 08:51 PM

Default Feeding Spingtails?

So I have not kept dart frogs yet, but I've been culturing springtails for years. I've never really had a 'bust' situation. The colonies go on almost indefinitely if proved basic stuff like charcoal and water.

I've seen videos of frogs eating springtails, and my research says they're OK for frogs. I was just wondering why more people don't feed springtails as a regular diet? as they seem much easier to culture than fruit flies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2019, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Feeding Spingtails?

From what I understand it's due to the inability to dust the springtails with supplements, I don't keep any dart frogs yet
Philsuma and Encyclia like this.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:02 PM

Would be very difficult to dust them. Supplementing every feeding is essential. It would take far more springtails to catch than flies which could be difficult for frogs in larger vivariums or shy frogs. But aside from that stuff, FF culturing is extremely easy. Buy media, add water, toss in excelsior, wait 2 weeks. Make a culture every Friday and you should never run out if you arent over feeding. If containers is a problem, I wash and reuse mine. lol Bottom line, FF culturing is an absolute must. No way around it.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:27 AM

All of the above, plus the fact that culturing enough mass of springs to feed any number of frogs would be logistically near-impossible. Culturing springs is easy, but feeding out a couple grams of them per week would be hard.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:49 PM

I use big shoe box containers with charcoal and feed them brewers yeast. Have millions..lol
Old 06-10-2019, 01:16 PM

I use them to feed my smallest froglets and I add them regularly to my pumilio tanks because I am paranoid about the little fellas having something to eat to get big enough to eat fruit flies. The supplementation aspect that Pyllobro talked about is my biggest worry. Every feeding the frogs get springs is a feeding they aren't getting proper supplementation. As SM said, too, it is not plausible to feed a significant percentage of springtails to a large collection. I have 7 plastic shoebox cultures that I feed very liberally and I still don't produce enough to feed very many every time I feed. So, definitely keep them going - they are super handy. But, they are not a substitute for fruit flies.

Mark
P.S. Ed has mentioned in other threads that there is a way to collect them dry and that they can be dusted that way, but I don't know how to collect them dry.
Philsuma likes this.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:07 AM

You can dust them its just a little trickier. I use a turkey baster and suck up a bunch of springtails into a 1 or 2 ounce plastic condiment container them I tilt it and blow (through a straw) the spring tails into a dusting cup. Just dont use too much vitamin supplements in the dusting container as the springtails dont take up much space. Once dusted feed right away. Hope this helps. I keep springtails going in all of my frog tanks. Helps to keep the mold down.

Tags
fruit fies, springtail