Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Dane
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2019, 03:31 AM

First off lots of great info on here been lurking and reading threads. I would like to get some more info before I decide how I should go about setting up

question i really have is I also want to do another terrarium with dart frogs what is an acceptable number of frogs for a bigger size terrarium maybe not the large extra tall but like a medium extra tall. I know can’t mix species and morphs but the local reptile store said azures and the black and yellow ones would be ok can’t remeber the name sorry still learning.

To satisfy my want to have more than one species I’m adding a small amount of water and a few fish in both I will have a way for frogs to get out of water so they can’t drown.

Just need some guidance on numbers and what’s acceptable practice.

Little background I have had planted aquariums salt water aquariums and a leopard gecko. I’m well versed in taking good care of my animals and helping them to thrive but this is a little new for me so just looking for some friendly advice.

Thanks

Last edited by WiscoTom; 05-19-2019 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Wrong species
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 04:26 AM
Mod

Default Re: Some dumb questions new to board

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoTom View Post
I know canít mix species and morphs but the local reptile store said azures and the black and yellow ones would be ok canít remeber the name sorry still learning.
Based on that statement alone, I can safely say that the advice you find here will be infinitely more valuable and accurate than what your local reptile store will provide. What they have suggested IS mixing species and morphs, and is almost always detrimental to the health and well being of the animals in question.
I would also relay that when you are ready to purchase your first frogs, the classifieds section here, or a responsible breeder/hobbyist near you will likely be a better and cheaper source of higher-quality animals.
The following collection of threads is a good place to start reading, and you should do a LOT of reading before taking the plunge;
https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/be...n-threads.html
Socratic Monologue and Tijl like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dane For This Useful Post:
Tijl (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Some dumb questions new to board

It would be unlikely that any reptile store, no matter how high-quality it may be otherwise. would give much sound advice on dart frog keeping. This is a fairly specialized, out-of-the-way back corner of herpetoculture.

The sticky that Dane noted above is excellent. Do read all the linked threads.

Also, search for and read threads about water features. Not only do most folks agree that a viv with an 18 x 18 footprint is way too small for a water feature of any sort -- especially with terrestrial frogs and especially a feature with fish -- many have noted that water features are not worth the challenges and problems and in most cases no not benefit the frogs at all.
Encyclia likes this.

-- Orwell