Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2019, 02:50 PM

Question Questions about Josh's Frogs F1 Frogs

Im getting ready to buy some frogs for my new tank and I noticed some F1 variants of a bunch of frogs Josh's Frogs is selling. My understanding of them is that they are the first captive bred generation from wild caught parents. Does anyone know why these would be more favorable than normal frogs? Would they be worse? Why do they sell for more? I have a feeling they might be better eaters, but get stressed more easily and have more aggression between females.

These would be my first frog species so I'm not sure if I would get them or stick to a normal captive generation. Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Questions about Josh's Frogs F1 Frogs

From my fish keeping knowledge I'd guess that at least one of the reasons is genetic diversity. F1 fish (and frogs) are from unrelated parents, so they have greater genetic diversity and if you bred the siblings they wouldn't suffer problems from inbreeding. I'm new to frogs so I might be wrong but I know that's why I tend to buy F1 fish over F3 or 4.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidkid View Post
From my fish keeping knowledge I'd guess that at least one of the reasons is genetic diversity. F1 fish (and frogs) are from unrelated parents, so they have greater genetic diversity and if you bred the siblings they wouldn't suffer problems from inbreeding. I'm new to frogs so I might be wrong but I know that's why I tend to buy F1 fish over F3 or 4.
This is correct. There wouldn't be any real differences besides "fresh" genetics entering the hobby.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHuntersFew View Post
1) Does anyone know why these would be more favorable than normal frogs? 2) Would they be worse? 3) Why do they sell for more? 4) I have a feeling they might be better eaters, but get stressed more easily and have more aggression between females.
1) They normaly have better genetics (already explained in the above comments)
2) They are better 90% of the time. Ofcourse this also depends on how the wildcaught parents have been taken care off... (feeding,suplementing,etc..)
3) because of point 1 and 2 + F1 frogs tend to reach the same size (bigger than later generation captive bred frogs) and color as their parents.
4) Why on earth would you think that?

Greets, Tijl