Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2019, 12:31 PM

Default Humidity and frog behavoir

There are many threads about the proper humidity for frogs, measuring humidity, etc. But what behavior from the frogs would suggest humidity is too low?

I have an 18x18x36 that has been running for about 6 months. The misting schedule is dialed in so that my plants are happy and I have minimal condensation on the glass (currently 3 times/day at 20 seconds each).

I plan to get frogs in the coming weeks, what should I be watching for in the frogs' behavioir that would be a sign the humidity is too low?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Humidity and frog behavoir

I watch the plants more than the frogs. If you have a false bottom that has water in it all the time, you are probably not going to have much trouble with too-low humidity. If you are misting multiple times a day, and you aren't losing humidity to the outside air too quickly (this would only happen if you had huge vents and the outside air was extremely dry), you should be just fine. You don't want a completely sealed top, and you don't want the other extreme where you are over-ventilated. If you are somewhere in between, all is well. If you have a drainage layer with water in it all the time, is the water level rising or falling over time? Condensation can be misleading because it is a function of the temperature difference between inside and outside the glass. Sounds like your situation is fine to me (it's a lot like I do) but if you want confirmation, you can buy a humidity gauge and only leave it in the tank when you are trying to get a reading. Take it out after you are done.

Best of luck,

Mark
Old 05-17-2019, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Humidity and frog behavoir

I generally have some sort of access to water in all of my viv's. I mist by hand, so if the humidity were to drop during the day the frogs can hop over and soak a bit.