Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By Socratic Monologue
  • 1 Post By varanoid
  • 4 Post By Philsuma
  • 1 Post By varanoid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2019, 07:29 AM

Default Zoo med paludarium

Hey guys planning out my first paludarium and am looking for some help and advice to get me on the right direction i really want a cool lizard like a newt but idk what exactly would fit in the paludarium it’s going to be the 12x12x24 zoo med paludarium and i just wanted to know what reptile/amphibian may fit in there comfortably I’d love to stock the water as well(well versed in the aquarium hobby) but if it interferes with the lizard or frog than i can scratch that off the plans i would also love some guidance into plants and substrate help as well would appreciate any help given!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Zoo med paludarium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaknight View Post
i really want a cool lizard like a newt
A newt is an amphibian. Lizards are reptiles.

With all due respect, I think you need to start at the beginning, with some really basic knowledge rather than with a tank that you're really excited to jam some animals into.

You asked for advice, and this is mine, given as respectfully as I know how. Go to the library or Amazon and get yourself a bunch of books on the general kinds of animals that interest you. Learn a lot about where they live, how they are different from each other, and how they act (their "natural history", more or less).

Then, when a certain family or genus or species catches your attention, research more specifically on that group or animal (the internet is decent enough for this more specific level of research). Learn how people keep them in captivity (if they do at all; some animals are not kept in the hobby for various reasons).

If a certain species seems like one you might try to keep, then figure out what sort of enclosure would be best for it (pro tip: the best answer to that question is never 'a paludarium').

Hopefully along the way you'll discover that while the 12 x 12 x 24 is an interesting configuration, it is way too small to use for a paludarium, and too small for anything but one or two of the smallest terrestrial/arboreal herps.
Philsuma, varanoid and Phxnoah like this.

Last edited by Socratic Monologue; 04-18-2019 at 06:17 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Socratic Monologue For This Useful Post:
Philsuma (04-18-2019), varanoid (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 06:29 PM

Those are certainly interesting dimensions for a tank. Had to look it up, I didn't know Zoomed manufactured a tank those dimensions.

Newts are amphibians like frogs, but they do have four legs and are cold blooded like lizards, which are reptiles.

As for an inhabitant I wont suggest any. Select what you want to keep and design your setup from there. You may even find that a paludarium is unnecessary after you have selected a species.

There are a number of paludarium threads here on the forum. I suggest you peruse them and come up with a plan to execute what you are trying to achieve. Good luck with your build.
Socratic Monologue likes this.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
A newt is an amphibian. Lizards are reptiles.

With all due respect, I think you need to start at the beginning, with some really basic knowledge rather than with a tank that you're really excited to jam some animals into.

You asked for advice, and this is mine, given as respectfully as I know how. Go to the library or Amazon and get yourself a bunch of books on the general kinds of animals that interest you. Learn a lot about where they live, how they are different from each other, and how they act (their "natural history", more or less).

Then, when a certain family or genus or species catches your attention, research more specifically on that group or animal (the internet is decent enough for this more specific level of research). Learn how people keep them in captivity (if they do at all; some animals are not kept in the hobby for various reasons).

If a certain species seems like one you might try to keep, then figure out what sort of enclosure would be best for it (pro tip: the best answer to that question is never 'a paludarium').

Hopefully along the way you'll discover that while the 12 x 12 x 24 is an interesting configuration, it is way too small to use for a paludarium, and too small for anything but one or two of the smallest terrestrial/arboreal herps.
Beat me to it SM wish I had a bit more time to articulate my previous post.

SM offered some very sound advice and a good approach people should take when considering purchasing a new animal. SMs approach shows research on the subject, planning, and strategy, resulting in happier, healthier captives. Buying a tank and then asking "what should I put in my paludarium?" just looks impulsive, with the animal suffering or not thriving the way it should.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:25 PM
TWI/ASN

just excellent- as the best advice here is actually 'hard' advice, meaning not pulling any punches or being afraid to say anything 'untoward' or negative (so prevalent in these weird times).

I would only add, that a complex paludarium should not be your 1st, 2nd, 3rd or perhaps even fourth. It should come along many years of successful herp keeping.

also, instead of Amazon and Bookstores, one can certainly gain knowledge by using the good ole' interwebz.

again, not to pile on, but several red flags to us old heads are:

How many can I fit...

What can I put...

Don't lose hope and get mad at the older guys here. Take your time and continue to post and read and take a slow roll.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philsuma View Post
just excellent- as the best advice here is actually 'hard' advice, meaning not pulling any punches or being afraid to say anything 'untoward' or negative (so prevalent in these weird times).

How many can I fit...

What can I put...

Don't lose hope and get mad at the older guys here. Take your time and continue to post and read and take a slow roll.
Well said Philsuma. Sometimes you need to just lay out the brutal truth clinically and objectively. The challenge is not coming across condescending, especially with all the posts from new people here that start with one the red flags Philsuma mentioned.

Aquaknight, please to not take my advice as condescending. I truly want you to have a good experience. And I know that if your captives are cared for properly and are healthy and happy, you are much more likely to have a good experience. And I want you to share that good experience with myself and with others.
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:

I would only add, that a complex paludarium should not be your 1st, 2nd, 3rd or perhaps even fourth. It should come along many years of successful herp keeping.

also, instead of Amazon and Bookstores, one can certainly gain knowledge by using the good ole' interwebz.

How many can I fit...

What can I put...

Thanks for all the advice guys I already know to do research and was just wanting ideas on some herps that would be interesting to keep i had no plan to just shove something into a paludarium or vivarium or terrarium without research or proper care as that’s just horrible I mostly enjoyed the idea of the zoo med paludarium as i am running on limited space with an inability to upgrade i’ll of course take all of your advice as I’m still relatively new to herps as the last time i cared for them was as a kid with a leopard gecko and a fire bellied toad but i would not count that as proper care on my part but my parents i will continue to look into possibly lizards and amphibians i may want to keep and than see if their requirements are able to be met before i take another step. I just wanted some ideas as i have spent a couple weeks trying to find other builds with the zoo med kit and couldn’t find anything advice is still welcome guys and idea on some good beginner herps so i can maybe just get a direction for my research
Old 04-18-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, one can. Searching the internet leads almost always to a good answer to one's question.

Reading a book or six, on the other hand, gives a broad enough account that one will know which questions need to be asked, a much rarer and richer sort of knowledge.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:58 PM

For a fairly different take, I could suggest going ahead and getting your paludarium tank and building it out in a way that is aesthetically satisfying. Build your systems and get them running, then try some plants and see how they do. Some will thrive, some will not, I guarantee it. At this point you'll have figured out temp & humidity management, good lighting, maintaining water quality, etc etc. And etc.

Only then should you even consider an animal. Perhaps it will be a betta. Or some cherry shrimp, a crayfish, or some crabs. Maybe an axolotl or a dwarf clawed frog or two. Who knows? The animal you choose will have to be able to survive the environment you have built. But by that point, at least you will understand what that is, and thereby - with care and wisdom - be better able to match an animal to it.

Quote:
Reading a book or six, on the other hand, gives a broad enough account that one will know which questions need to be asked, a much rarer and richer sort of knowledge.
Sadly true. Q & A on "the innerwebs" is fun sport, but it is probably the slowest path to discovering one's unknown unknowns. Of which there are many.

Happy building, happy reading!