Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Dendroboard

Dendroboard (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/)
-   Beginner Discussion (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Finding the right fogger/misting balance? (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/beginner-discussion/351254-finding-right-fogger-misting-balance.html)

crocodilerunge 04-15-2019 03:44 AM

Finding the right fogger/misting balance?

Through the setup of my viv, I've misted by hand. I really like the advice of hand-misting as a new person to the hobby as it makes you *observe* your tank everyday, not just spectate. I got a hand-me-down Repti-Fogger this weekend and have it set up on a timer, activating 5 times from 8am-8pm. My plan is to continue to spot-mist plants and flush brom centers, but I'm struggling to get a way to see if the fog cycle is overkill. I think the easiest solution is to probe humidity but was told they "lie like a rug," and I haven't been in the hobby lobby enough to rely on past experience. What would you do? Thanks y'all!

KarryWeaver 04-16-2019 12:09 PM

Re: Finding the right fogger/misting balance?

I judge the moisture by my keeping a check on my drainage layer. I like to see the rocks on the bottom nice and foggy with just a tiny bit of actual water but if water starts to build up I turn the misting down a few seconds.

Encyclia 04-16-2019 01:28 PM

Re: Finding the right fogger/misting balance?

Lots of good questions lately! I know there are widely varying opinions on this, but I don't really see foggers as a tool for adjusting humidity. The staying power of ultrasonic mist is just not as good as misting. Of course, you can have the thing going very often and it will keep your humidity up, but I think many plants like to have a good soak periodically. So, the way I would view this situation is that the fogger is augmenting the misting to keep your humidity where you want it. If you have a false bottom that has some water in it, generally the passive humidity this contributes is 50 or 60%. This will be highly dependent on your vent situation and the ambient temperature and humidity outside the tank. If you view the 50-60% as a starting point, you can just mist at intervals to bump this up to the 60-80% we should be shooting for for dart frogs. Establishing those intervals will be a bit hit and miss at first, but you will get it dialed in. You don't want to have a sealed top (you want some ventilation) and you aren't shooting for condensation on the glass at all times. You also don't want any of your plants to wilt, especially after they are established. Somewhere in between those extremes will probably work just fine. Pay attention to how much water is left in bromeliad axils between mistings, too. If you do all that, just turn the fogger on when you are there to watch it and want to see it go. Again, I don't view foggers as replacements for misting, but some other folks treat them that way. They can share how they use them to maintain humidity.

YMMV,

Mark