No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By varanoid
  • 1 Post By jgragg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2019, 03:27 PM

Default Keeping temp up ?

I have been monitoring my tanks temperature and humidity alot more lately. We keep the house between 68-70 degrees and humidity is usually between 42-58%. My tanks seem to swing between 62-68 degrees and humidity between 75-90%.
I'm happy with my humidity and have a mist king setup on both tanks but was wondering what everyone does to keep the temps up ? I would like the tank temps more between 65-75 degrees. Is the best approach when your only looking to bring temps up a few degree to use a heating pad with thermostat ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Keeping temp up ?

If you are keeping your house temps you claim, I would be surprised if your tank temps are where you say they are at. Generally speaking, tank temps will be a couple of degrees above ambient room temperature from heat the lights generate. 62 is on the lower side but is ok for short durations of time. 68 is just fine.

What are you using to get your temperature readings?
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanoid View Post
If you are keeping your house temps you claim, I would be surprised if your tank temps are where you say they are at. Generally speaking, tank temps will be a couple of degrees above ambient room temperature from heat the lights generate. 62 is on the lower side but is ok for short durations of time. 68 is just fine.

What are you using to get your temperature readings?
I assumed my tank temp would be a few degrees above the ambient room temp as well. This leads me to believe the sketchy zoo-med analog temp/humidity gauge I using is garbage. Any recommendations to a decent digital setup ?

Old 03-28-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camps23 View Post
I assumed my tank temp would be a few degrees above the ambient room temp as well. This leads me to believe the sketchy zoo-med analog temp/humidity gauge I using is garbage. Any recommendations to a decent digital setup ?
Yes, likely it is garbage.

My advice: skip the hygrometer entirely. Also, use an IR temp gun (any one, really) for checking temps.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Yes, likely it is garbage.

My advice: skip the hygrometer entirely. Also, use an IR temp gun (any one, really) for checking temps.
I read alot of people aren't concerned with humidity readings...so its just a by eye parameter ? From what I gather a small amount of condensation on glass while watch plants and frogs health ? I feel confident that my mist system is taking care of the humidity anyway.
I have a temp gun in my work truck, I will grab and get actual readings.
Thanks
Old 03-28-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camps23 View Post
I read alot of people aren't concerned with humidity readings...so its just a by eye parameter ? From what I gather a small amount of condensation on glass while watch plants and frogs health ?
Yep.

Not only will you get things more correct (I mean, if the viv is sopping wet and the hygrometer says the humidity is too low, are you gonna mist some more? No.), but you'll learn much more about frogs and plants and that's the point of all this anyway.

Do some reading up on what your species of frog does in response to high and low humidity and the frogs will be your humidity meter.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Like everyone else has already said, buddy, just shit-can that instrument, and don't worry about replacing it. Save your money for something important. I'd say "temp gun" but you've already got that. Good start, I live by my temp gun. I've got another possible use for your money, which I'll mention it at the end here.

Anyway, I'm thinking the one way you could have a "cold viv" would be via a combination of 1) keeping a super-dry, not-too-cold house, 2) using lighting that provides no heat, and 3) having amazing viv ventilation. Like, Euro-style front vent, with full screen top. So you could have huge evaporative cooling. But that couldn't go on too long unless you were constantly replacing all the lost water. (I'm familiar with this situation, since most of it describes my background situation and keeping setup.) Are you adding a lot of water, but not having to empty drain buckets, ever?

If so, describing my setup could offer some insight. I happen to keep stuff that likes summer days about 75-78F, and nights dropping about 10 degrees. And fairly humid - say 50-70%, with high ventilation.
  • The nighttime low is what my basement tends toward in summer anyway - perfect, no struggles, hooray.
  • The way I get the daytime highs is a combination of 1) an oil-filled space heater (a DeLonghi with built-in timer and rheostat, which is plugged into a redundant thermostat so I don't get runaway heating if the built-in fails) and 2) my viv lighting, which is a mix of LEDs and CFLs; the latter being my overhead heat source. The CFLs probably give about a 2-3 degree F bump. The space heater is set to heat to 75F between 10 AM and 3 PM, and otherwise just shut off. The lights run 7 AM to 7 PM, so they smooth out the ramps up and down from ambient, plus give a little bitty boost beyond the heater setting in "the heat of the day" (such as it is).

Anyway, hopefully this gives you something to chew on. If you really only need to bump up a few degrees in the day I'd suggest some CFLs. If it's a 24/7 deal I'd suggest an oil-filled radiant space heater (I think they're safer than the fan jobs; I know they're quieter). DeLonghi has lots of models, some are pretty small. I've had one of the taller ones for a long time now, and - after "fighting" with my wife over it; she kept grabbing it for the laundry room, which is next to the herp room in the basement - I recently got her this one, which apparently is called the Bambino (I didn't know that; it's cute, huh? ha ha):
https://www.delonghi.com/en-us/produ...12t-0105086103

It has no problem, on a very low setting, heating a 12'*14', otherwise well-insulated (ceiling and walls) basement room, with a big cold window and a linoleum-on-concrete floor. If you need a nice little space heater, you wouldn't be bummed to get this one.

good luck!
camps23 likes this.