Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2019, 11:44 AM

Default Carnivorous Plants

Noob question - Are there any carnivorous plants that are fairly easy to grow AND safe to house with dart frogs?
The Following User Says Thank You to I'mNew2Frogs! For This Useful Post:
Ravage (06-28-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2019, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Carnivorous Plants

I've had a nepenthes ampullaria growing in my big setup for a couple months now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
DartSolo likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to gonzalez For This Useful Post:
I'mNew2Frogs! (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalez View Post
I've had a nepenthes ampullaria growing in my big setup for a couple months now.

Is it pretty easy to care for?

Old 01-30-2019, 01:07 PM

Not really, I have it in a pot above the substrate because they like a soil of pure sphagnum moss. Medium light, and make sure the water going into the plant and into the cage is distilled or RO.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:08 PM

I mean it is easy to care for sorry that was worded wrong

Old 01-30-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
... because they like a soil of pure sphagnum moss.

Interesting, thanks!!
Old 01-30-2019, 01:22 PM

It's the reason they are carnivorous, most of these plants evolved in extremely acidic soils with low nutrients and developed other ways of getting it. Now, they can't even live in nutrient soil, which is why people typically use sphagnum/peat.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
It's the reason they are carnivorous, most of these plants evolved in extremely acidic soils with low nutrients and developed other ways of getting it. Now, they can't even live in nutrient soil, which is why people typically use sphagnum/peat.

Do you think I could get away with the nepenthes ampullaria in an 18-inch tall viv? Googling that plant, looks like they get around 18-inches tall.

Also, could you bury or partially bury the potted plant into the usual Dart Frog substrate? To both take a little height out of it and for aesthetics?
Old 01-30-2019, 02:09 PM

They can get 18" and a good bit beyond that given enough time. Just type in nepenthes ampullaria on youtube and look at the one that brads greenhouse has. However it does take some years.

For the other question, I'm not really sure. You could ask the people over at terra forums though.

I'mNew2Frogs! likes this.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:15 AM

I've kept a few nepenthes and they never get very big. I could be wrong but I think they only get full size in a greenhouse type environment. This seems to be the case with a lot of tropical plants. When I visited the botanical gardens I saw bromeliads we have in vivariums that were as big as tire! Mine never get bigger than 6' or 7"

Anyway, it shouldn't be a problem. They do eat a lot of fruit flies but they're completely frog safe. I've had thumbnails deposit tadpoles in them and they came out fine.
gonzalez and I'mNew2Frogs! like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eletroverse For This Useful Post:
I'mNew2Frogs! (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eletroverse View Post
I've kept a few nepenthes and they never get very big. I could be wrong but I think they only get full size in a greenhouse type environment. This seems to be the case with a lot of tropical plants. When I visited the botanical gardens I saw bromeliads we have in vivariums that were as big as tire! Mine never get bigger than 6' or 7"

Anyway, it shouldn't be a problem. They do eat a lot of fruit flies but they're completely frog safe. I've had thumbnails deposit tadpoles in them and they came out fine.
What species have you kept?

Old 02-26-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
What species have you kept?

Nepenthes alata, ampullaria and some crosses I dont recall... Just stick to lowland tropical species. You can try N. American or highland but afaik they require either a dormancy period and/or night time temp drop in the 60s. Also, always mist with RO or distilled and never plant them in soil.

connorp and I'mNew2Frogs! like this.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:55 AM

Some species of Utricularia are easy to grow. They can also be so small that they offer absolutely no threat to your frogs.
Okapi likes this.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:41 AM

Most of the tropical homophyllus pinguiculas will make good vivarium plants. with the P gigantea beeing one of the most suitable.

I have tried one of the most southern heterophyllus pinguicula (p.mesophytica) in my guiana leuc tank for 2 years now and that one do very well. However it gets a little more complicated to grow the heterophyllus types, they will need a period of colder and less humid conditions. With the Guiana leucs it is not a problem, they too like a dry season.

BR
Magnus

Last edited by tropfrog; 03-07-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropfrog View Post
Most of the tropical homophyllus pinguiculas will make good vivarium plants. with the P gigantea beeing one of the most suitable.

I have tried one of the most southern heterophyllus pinguicula (p.mesophytica) in my guiana leuc tank for 2 years now and that one do very well. However it gets a little more complicated to grow the heterophyllus types, they will need a period of colder and less humid conditions. With the Guiana leucs it is not a problem, they too like a dry season.

BR
Magnus
Can you mount pinguiculas or do they need soil? I've heard they don't like getting wet.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:45 PM

What websites do you typically purchase from? The idea of having a mounted mini pitcher sounds fun and good for wrangling excess flies as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblack3 View Post
What websites do you typically purchase from? The idea of having a mounted mini pitcher sounds fun and good for wrangling excess flies as well.

I am interested in finding reputable websites as well. Will sub for more info!

Old 03-07-2019, 09:04 PM

Carnivorous plant nursery is good

Old 03-08-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Can you mount pinguiculas or do they need soil? I've heard they don't like getting wet.

Pinguicula is a very big group of plants and have very different demands. There are very few thrue epifytes and they are quite rare (and expensive). The one I grow P.mesophytica is one of them. Google it and you will find some amazing insitu photos. However, there are many Pings that grow naturally on rock walls with wery sparse soil. Some of them might work good mounted. One example is P Cyclosekta.

Pings love wet conditions. But the heterophyllus types that need a winter rest will not tollerate wet conditions during the rest. My Mesophytica is mounted away from the mister on a dry spot. In the summer i Water it manually 2-4 times a month, in the winter I give it no water.

BR
Magnus
Old 03-09-2019, 04:24 PM

Try some of the tuberous utricularias. I suggest U. alpina or U. asplundii. Alpina is fairly easy to get a hold of.

U. nelumbifolia and U. humboldtii would probably work in broms, but i think their growth habit is pretty messy and the traps are large enough they could eat tadpoles.

They all have large showy flowers.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:21 PM

I really like Utricularias and think they are underrated in the vivarium hobby. Ive tried Nepenthes and tropical Pinguicula in vivariums but never had long term success. I am currently trialing some of the below species in some 10 gallon vivariums to see how they do. But this is my general notes for various species:

Utricularia calycifida and Utricularia longifolia grown in moist long fiber sphagnum

Utricularia pubescens, Utricularia livida, Utricularia sandersonii, and Utricularia bisquamata grown in moist to wet peat/sphagnum/sand mix.

Utricularia heterosepala, utricularia graminifolia grown in more saturated wet areas.

Just make sure that the water is RO or distilled.

I dont have any experience with the more epiphytic Utricularia species and they seem to be harder to find anyways.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:05 PM

interesting to hear nepenthes are apparently safe around frogs, I pretty much rejected the thought of adding those due to concerns about the frogs.

but I do have 2 species of urticularia, not sure right now what species exactly, but they're terrestial, not epiphytic. so far they seem to do well, they look nice, and definitely completely safe around frogs.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:21 PM

There was a relevant story in the news a few weeks ago regarding salamanders and Sarracenia. This is not meant to dissuade anyone, and don't think we can draw any conclusions for captive dart frog care; I just think it is interesting.

Pitcher Plants with a Taste for Salamanders? — In Defense of Plants

I recall also a segment in (IIRC) BBC Earth that showed how some frogs make a living out of diving into pitchers and stealing the insects trapped there.

Whitman
Old 07-04-2019, 12:06 PM

My group of auratus lives in a terrarium which is stocked with Nepenthes.

Only issue I've encountered so far is that you can't just throw in field sweepings as you would when you have other plants due to the sensitivity of the pitcher plants.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:01 PM

In the March 2019 Issue of the DN-magazine, there is a wonderfull article about Nepenthes and frogs (Philautus sp.). They also print the magazine in english btw!

Encyclia and RogueFish like this.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:12 AM

The tadpoles got me interested, and apparently there are frogs that use Nepenthes for spawning! How cool

(Not to imply that all frogs can, of course)
Tijl likes this.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:22 PM

Frogs and nepenthes make a great pair! I am brand new to owning dart frogs but have been “raising” green tree frogs in my greenhouse unintentionally for a few years now. They definitely raise tadpoles in them and also hang out to take advantage of the pitchers natural bug attracting prowess. I am also brand new to the forum and can’t figure out how to post a pic. I would be happy to share a few tree frog nepenthes shots if someone would be so kind as to point out what I am missing and how simple it is really. Thanks folks
Old 07-19-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCooper420 View Post
Frogs and nepenthes make a great pair!
You could not be more wrong, this only goes for a few frog and/or nepenthes species. Most nepenthes get realy big and not all of our frogs will be able to escape their trap.

I would never advice to put frogs and nepenthes together, but I am also saying it is not impossible. You just have to know what you are doing and get all the correct information before you decide to put these plants and frogs together. Dart frogs and nepenthes also originate from a different continent, don't forget that.

I upload my images on "IMGBB" and copy the link, you can also use "IMGUR"
Old 07-19-2019, 02:58 PM

Maybe instead of telling me I couldn’t be more wrong ( which of course I could) you could give some instances or proof of the relationship being truly detrimental to frogs. The bigger the pitcher the easier it is for the frog to get in and out. I see it every day with tree frogs of all sizes some 2” long on down to .400” long. I have yet to see a dead frog in a nepenthes pitcher in my five years of keeping nepenthes. Frogs can walk up a wet vertical glass wall. What on earth makes you think they can’t climb out of a pitcher? Have you even ever seen nepenthes in person?
Do_Gon likes this.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:59 PM

Oh sorry I forgot to thank you for the image info!
Old 07-19-2019, 03:01 PM

https://ibb.co/Ctww2zZ
Old 07-19-2019, 03:02 PM

https://ibb.co/L960s6r
Old 07-19-2019, 03:05 PM

https://ibb.co/HYfT0w1
Old 07-19-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Maybe instead of telling me I couldn’t be more wrong ( which of course I could) you could give some instances or proof of the relationship being truly detrimental to frogs. The bigger the pitcher the easier it is for the frog to get in and out. I see it every day with tree frogs of all sizes some 2” long on down to .400” long. I have yet to see a dead frog in a nepenthes pitcher in my five years of keeping nepenthes. Frogs can walk up a wet vertical glass wall. What on earth makes you think they can’t climb out of a pitcher? Have you even ever seen nepenthes in person?
The relationship is complicated to say the least. Many frog species in the wild lay eggs in Nepenthes that occur in their habitat because they provide some of the only available water pools. However, as Tijl stated, dart frogs in particular come from a different continent so having them living together with Nepenthes is not "normal" for them. Regardless, as I mentioned before, I have auratus and Nepenthes together in a terrarium and they do well. But this is probably because I've selected Nepenthes species that currently do not present a threat to the frogs. However I will look to rehouse the plants in a few years when they get bigger and would potentially represent a threat.

What kind of Nepenthes do you have? Many species have differences in trapping mechanisms inside the pitchers. For example some species have waxy coating inside which effectively nullifies the "sticking to glass" that a lot of frogs can do. Other species have very thick fluid inside which could also hamper a frog's escape. And last but not least, some species produce enormous pitchers, which could provide a real challenge for smaller frogs.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:12 PM

So much of what we are doing and providing is not normal but hey we are trying hard; otherwise we wouldn’t be here!

I am addressing the issue from a logical and mechanical POV. Are darts frogs less nimble or physically capable than other frogs found on other continents? I venture a guess dart frogs are equally as physically capable as other species on other continents of comparable size. That sound reasonable enough? Will frogs in some number die in pitchers in the wild? I’m guessing yes. I can say I haven’t seen one dead in any pitchers I have in five years. I have a few dozen species and over 200 hybrid nepenthes. Pitcher size does range but includes some over 9” tall. The collection literally runs the whole gamut from lowlanders like ampullaria and albomarginata to highlanders like Hamata and jamban ( which has the most viscous fluid in my collection). More likely than the nepenthes actually winning out over the frog is that the frog was already sick and chose the pitcher as a comforting place to die or something of the sort. Anyone consider that one? I think it is absolutely more probable but I may be a little biased when it comes to nepenthes😏.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Before i started the frog hobby, ive kept nephentes for around 6 years? That makes it 15years of keeping nepenthes now?
I still own one nepenthes that is currently 4 years old. I can post some pictures if you want, its a pretty big one!

As Johan stated above, some nepethes have a wax layer and most frogs would not be able to escape from this trap. I know you have experience with your treefrogs and nepenthes, but you must recognize this is not enough... Your judgement or statement is based only on your personal experience with one species of frog?
That is why you just cannot say that frogs and nepenthes are great together.

In my years of experience ive seen a few hobbyists that lost their frogs in the nepenthes traps...

I would love to see some pictures of your frogs and nepenthes tho! I think this is a realy interesting topic.

Last edited by Tijl; 07-19-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Frogs can walk up a wet vertical glass wall.
Some can, some cannot. My imis can, my leucs effectively cannot.

I really don't think that drawing conclusions about dart frogs in a viv based on tree frogs in a greenhouse is going to be very accurate. Darts are fairly different, physically and behaviorally.

Part of this dispute is undoubtedly due to the fact that dart froggers tend to be very conservative in their husbandry habits. Most of us don't tolerate risks, however slight they may be.

Whitman
Old 07-19-2019, 09:19 PM

Ooh , I missed the imgbb links but they don't seem to work.

You have to select "BBcodes big with link" when copying the link, than your pictures show
Old 07-19-2019, 09:34 PM

Old 07-19-2019, 09:36 PM