Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Coqui

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2017, 05:50 AM

Default How and where to place bulkhead for drain?

Hi all
I think I have decided to drill the tank and put in a bulkhead to make it easy to drain the tank. I think the bulkhead would go on the back wall of the tank but wanted to check if that was where it should go? We have salt water tanks and the bulkheads are all on the bottom of the tanks. Second question is once installed how do I keep the gravel substrate out of the bulkhead? Do I build a box around the bulkhead or do I have to use a false bottom with a bulkhead?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2017, 12:12 PM

Default Re: How and where to place bulkhead for drain?

Bulkhead on back wall is fine, if bottom of tank is not tempered glass I prefer to place bulk head there. I would definitely create a false bottom, tank would be so much lighter in case it had to be move. Good luck
nhughes28 likes this.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:04 PM

Default Re: How and where to place bulkhead for drain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly1414 View Post
Hi all
I think I have decided to drill the tank and put in a bulkhead to make it easy to drain the tank. I think the bulkhead would go on the back wall of the tank but wanted to check if that was where it should go? We have salt water tanks and the bulkheads are all on the bottom of the tanks. Second question is once installed how do I keep the gravel substrate out of the bulkhead? Do I build a box around the bulkhead or do I have to use a false bottom with a bulkhead?
Thanks for any suggestions.
I like to drill the sides of my tanks for bulkheads, though the bottom would work just fine. For one thing, the sides of my tanks don't seem to be tempered. I am less trustful that this is the case for the bottom of tanks. Second, I like them to be in the back or sides of the tank because I can control the water level in the false bottom a little more easily. The water level is basically just the bottom of the bulkhead opening :-) As for screening out the gravel, this is one of the reasons I do an egg crate false bottom with a bead of silicone around the edge of the screen separator. Nothing big enough to clog my bulkhead should ever be down there. My bulkheads are just open on the inside.

Mark