Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 03:07 PM

Default Few beginner questions

Hi,
I'm new to the board after doing lots of research on dart frogs and viv construction.
I am looking to get some darts, either D. leucomelas or D. tinctorius (Bumblebee and Dyeing incase they are wrong) and would like to know peoples opinions on which species would be best for me.
I would like a frog which is active, can be seen a lot of the time, doesn't have a call thats too loud (as in won't keep me awake every night like my green tree frogs), and i could have a go at breeding in time.
I would also like to know the size vivarium/terrarium i should use as a minimum for which ever species you think would suit me best as i have a 10 gallon spare and have a 20 gallon which will soon be spare that i could start making in to my dart home.

I have tree frogs, firebellies, newts and anoles so i'm not a beginner to keeping reptiles/amphibians but im new to darts so want to find out as much as i can.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2008, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Few beginner questions

Welcome to the board!
Most leucomelas and tinctorius are good "beginner" darts, but the leucs certainly have a loud call.
Tinctorius are generally not audible outside of their tank, so they would be great for you. As for what morph, just pick the one you like the looks of most, their care is very similar across the board.
I would use the 20G for a pair, setting it up horizontally (conventional) as opposed to vertical like you would for many of the climbing species.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:57 PM

Welcome to the board. This is a great site and there are many experts with answers to almost all the questions you may have.
When it comes to choosing a first dart, it all depends on which ones of the beginners you like the most. Leucs and Tincs are both great and I would also suggest the 20 gallon tank instead of the 10 gallon. I also agree that the leucs do have a loud call, but it shouldnt keep you awake at night. They mostly call in the morning or afternoon since they are dijurnal (sp). The Tincs grow larger in size than the leucs, but there are many more morphs of tincs to choose from. Basically a matter of opinion. Good luck to ya.....sara veight

Old 08-06-2008, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the replies
Got some Green Anole eggs now so that will give me some practice keeping fruit flies if they hatch!
Old 08-06-2008, 11:28 AM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinger88
I would like a frog which is active, can be seen a lot of the time, doesn't have a call thats too loud (as in won't keep me awake every night like my green tree frogs), and i could have a go at breeding in time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkromer
Most leucomelas and tinctorius are good "beginner" darts, but the leucs certainly have a loud call.
While D. leucomelas indeed have a loud call, they are diurnal frogs and sleep at night, so you won't have to worry about them keeping you awake. They will probably be asleep before you. :wink:
In addition, if you are thinking about breeding them, you want to be able to hear the call. It is helpful in identifying males and also alerts you as to when to watch the frogs behavior.

I would recommend either leucs or auratus for beginners if you are thinking of breeding them. Tincs are not very hard to keep, however in my experience, they are a bit harder to sex because you can't hear them call (at least all the morphs I've had). So you really need to constantly watch their behavior, and know what you are looking for.

Let us know what you decide, and welcome to the hobby.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:08 PM
TWI/ASN

In my experience tincs are fairly easy to sex. Yes, you can't really hear their call but there are body shape features which help distinguish the sex. Case in point, males typically have larger front toe pads. And, the nice thing about going this route is that as long as the frogs are old enough to sex, you know you have a pair. You won't have to wait around to hear calling.

Nate
Old 08-06-2008, 01:47 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by nburns
In my experience tincs are fairly easy to sex. Yes, you can't really hear their call but there are body shape features which help distinguish the sex. Case in point, males typically have larger front toe pads.
Nate, Not to start an argument or anything, but while toe pads are a good indicator of sex, they are not by any means a definitive for sexing frogs. In my years of experience with tincs, I have seen males with smaller toe pads than females, as well as females with large toe pads. Remember, you are an experienced frogger and probably know the subtle differences between males and females (other than toe pads) that a beginner will not. To be honest, I will not say that I know the sex of a frog 100% until I witness breeding behavior that would indicate such. Believe me, I have made this mistake in the past.
For example, do you think a beginner could say for sure the sex of this frog 100%? Could you? Sure, you probably have a good guess, but are you sure.......?

Chris
Old 08-06-2008, 02:24 PM
TWI/ASN

Chris,
I agree that it is not a done deal that a frog with larger toe pads is a male, my point was that there is at least some loose rule to go by. It doesn't guarentee anything but it is a good place to start off with. Unlike other species that give no visual sign of sex, even as adults. I also concur about thinking one thing about the sex of a frog and finding out otherwise later. Good points and I am glad that you brought them up.

Nate
Old 08-06-2008, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the info,
I do like the leucs but also like the tincs, im concentrating on getting a tank set up etc now then when it finally comes to getting some frogs im gonna have to make the decision!
Seen both leucs and tincs at a local reptile place so i know how nice they are in real life not just in the pics