Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 04:06 AM

Default warning: immis are for the "intermediate" for a reason

I got my first frogs a couple months ago, an auratus morph. My plan was to get tinds and leucs next.

A local frogger not wishing to ship but needing to slim his collection before a vacation was offering 3 imis at a rock bottom price. So I got them.

One died by drowning itself - I believe an unavoidable fluke ... described in this thread: beginner-discussion/topic41430.html

But I lost the second due to my inexperience. I had them in a Seralite shoebox QTing, one was super small and I'd not noticed it out before being as it was really tiny and hidden in the foliage. Last week after not seeing it for several days in a row, I closely inspected each branch of vine - it was gone. Gone!

One or two times before, I had to retrieve a frog that jumped out during feeding, but obviously the little one jumped out when I had the lid open and I just didn't notice.

Imis will climb the walls and escape and they are super fast. I now won't open the container without checking to see if my one remaining immi is on the wall or nestled up against the lid. I'm meaning to get a large Rubbermaid container and plac the Seralite container within while opening - but this would seem impracticable once he's in his permanent home.

Your frog catching skill and judgment on whether to open the lid or not are two possible aspects of why D. imitators get the "intermediate skill" description. Hopefully my experience will make potential new imi owners aware of a potentially deadly mistake.
1.1 azureus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2008, 03:51 PM

Default Re: warning: immis are for the "intermediate" for a reason

When keeping thumbnails species in quarantine, I highly recommend fully transparent containers (or at least a transparent lid). Otherwise you can be unpleasantly surprised by escapees. Standard imitators also have the ability to blend in really well with any vegetation in the quarantine container, thus making them difficult to detect.

Of course thumbs are notorious for their ability to escape vivs given a moment of inattention.

Bill
Old 07-06-2008, 05:23 PM

I know exactly what you mean. I have yet to have an escapee but have instances where they've gotten pretty close. One likes to hide behind the probe of my hygrometer/thermometer which is by the vert door. You'd think he's hiding well in the back until you're closing up and see him perched right on the door.

Along with a fully transparent container, it's also good to not keep any dense foliage or hiding spots by openings either. Some may be bright and striking but they are skilled at hiding and retreating.

Most people never use their initiative because no one ever told them to

I proudly support the interbreeding of Dendrobatidae and Felinae

Old 07-06-2008, 06:06 PM

I had the same thing with one of my intermedius. They are in a 20g vert. I opened the glass door to feed them and one was perched on the door just behind the latch. The latch is solid and you couldn't have seen it at all unless you looked in first from the side. I jumped quick and closed the door back up, but it gave me quite the startle.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:58 PM

Don't let this set you back I have know people that have lost tink's, leuc's and pumilio in similer situations. Thier are plenty of people this has happened to.
Brian
Old 07-07-2008, 01:11 PM

When transferring frogs, or feeding them in quarantine, I always take them to my bathtub. I plug the drain and then take care of business. I am hoping that the bathtub sides will slow them down some, and that they show up nicely against the white tub.

I do the same thing with transferring flies in the winter, except I use the sink. Then I can easily see any escapees against the white sink.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Your frog catching skill and judgment on whether to open the lid or not are two possible aspects of why D. imitators get the "intermediate skill" description. Hopefully my experience will make potential new imi owners aware of a potentially deadly mistake.
Certainly true with any of the thumbs or eggfeeders. Also true with larger, faster species, like E.Zaparo. Whenever I open the door on a thumb viv, I wave my hands in front and tap it a few times first. I then crack it open a little bit and peek in to see if anyone's still hanging near the door. Imis are especially tricky because they blend in so well with green foliage. I also keep handy, a large tupperware container to drop over them if they hit the floor.

It's also worth mentioning, not to close the door quickly. The frogs can just as easily jump onto the edge of the door and get pinned between the door and tank. Not a nice thing to do to a little frog!

Live in New England? Join NEFG now!
Old 07-07-2008, 02:48 PM
TWI/ASN

personally, IMO any dart has the capability of escaping. Dart are very fast and obviously need to watch where they are located in the enclosure to ensure no escapees. smoe smaller darts i'm sure have the ability to be better at escaping due to their size. Don't let your heart sink over the imis. I think they could very well be a good dart to own. just be careful when doing any maintenance, feeding, etc. It takes some time and a little more experience, and you'll get a hang of it.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:27 PM

Just like any aspect with darts you have to pay attention to what your doing and your surroundings. Imitators are great frogs just have to keep a close eye on them when they have a chance to escape.

Mike
Old 07-07-2008, 05:14 PM

a leason lived is a lesson learned.i have also lost frogs due to escape, it a pain when your colection grows its easier to miss them.so far one baby auratus mixed with my clothes in the washing machine, about 2 months after i sold the last of them. and my cat brought me a baby leuc , he was scared to death but turned out being fine.and i have had froglets decide that they were ready before they should be and leave the tad tubs up the sides on thier own, never did find any traces of a tiger leg froglet but found the remains of others.this is why i use a 10 gal for morphing as soon as they get front legs now.
and eric it to guts to post about this , you can teach people to be careful and thats a good thing.
craig
Old 07-07-2008, 06:17 PM

I have velcro across the top of my door on my 10gal vert. I guess they really just don't like the noise it makes when I open to feed or mist it. As soon as I start opening and you get that nice velcro sound, they jump into their favorite brom, no matter where they are at in the viv. They also are just getting past the being real shy phase. The male wont hide now when he is calling and I feel the urge to press my nose against the glass, even the one I am hoppin is a female continues to go about business when we watch them playing tag.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:41 PM
TWI/ASN

It's only feasible with small collections, but I try and locate all of the frogs before opening the lid on my imis. If I can't find one or there is one that could make a break for it, I have my fiancee watch the lid while I'm taking care of the viv. That said, if I have to open the viv and can't find all of them, I'm a little uneasy until the all reappear. I wonder if this is a benefit of having a top opening viv.
-mark
Old 07-08-2008, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecanadianguy
this is why i use a 10 gal for morphing as soon as they get front legs now.
Good advice. A 6 qt Seralite QT at $6 is not worth the savings as compared to an all-glass 5-10 gallon container.

My Seralite containers will from now on be put to use in housing feeder insects.
1.1 azureus
Old 07-08-2008, 01:23 PM

10 gallons here are only $8.
5 gallons are about the same price despite being smaller.

they're a pain to clean compared to any plasticware but it's so much easier to monitor and quickly open.

Most people never use their initiative because no one ever told them to

I proudly support the interbreeding of Dendrobatidae and Felinae
Old 07-11-2008, 03:12 PM

looks like i jinxed myself posting here..Had a pr close to the top of the tank courting when i spray them they usually go down or go into a film canister together..the female decided to be different this tame and go up...So glad my cat was not in the room at the time
Brian
Old 07-13-2008, 03:42 PM
TWI/ASN

lol......yes almost jinxed yourself. glad the cat wasnt around. my cat would have loved that treat.