Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2008, 01:51 PM

Default securing wood to tank

I am in the process of setting up my 18 x 18 x 24 exo terra for a couple PDFs. Right now the tank is on its back and I have the wood for the background positioned about how I want it. Do I secure it to the glass using the black silicon then use the great stuff or do I just simply use the great stuff to build the background and hold the wood also. I am considering using some of the silicon to act as glue, but wondered what others do. I have read many threads on building a viv but havent found a direct answer for this.

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2008, 03:23 PM

Default Re: securing wood to tank

A lot of people use great stuff to anchor the wood in. I used silicone my zoomed 18x18x24 and unfortunatly it did not bond well; coming undone after only a month or so. Luckly I set up the wood so that each piece supports another piece and the structure has only collapsed once (when I was messing with it).

Also, it seems a good number of people put down silicone over the glass so the greatstuff bonds easier. This is because silicone is about the only thing that bonds to glass. I am not sure of the exact methods, however, depending on how you attach the greatstuff, it can bond excellently to glass, or fall off with the slightest weight.

Thus, the best thing might be to put down a layer of silicone and then great stuff on top of that. Being sure that the greatstuff anchors the wood securely. However, if your greatstuff wall is large enough and the wood does not unduely unbalance the structure; you might be fine without the silicone.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:29 PM

personally i dont sillycone the whole back area but i do silicone and cure my wood in to place before i foam , find its just extra insurance they dont move after curing.
craig

Old 06-22-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecanadianguy
personally i dont sillycone the whole back area but i do silicone and cure my wood in to place before i foam , find its just extra insurance they dont move after curing.
craig
agreed. I've had some long pieces of wood cantilevered off a considerable distance from the back and the silicone helped it stay the way i wanted while the foam was still soft prior to curing. Also without the silicone, tensile loads would eventually pull the foam background right off the tank.

Most people never use their initiative because no one ever told them to

I proudly support the interbreeding of Dendrobatidae and Felinae
Old 06-22-2008, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the replys. I have just finished securing my wood with the silicone. I will hit it with the foam either tonight after the silicone has sat for 6 hours, or I will wait until tomorrow night when I get home from work.

Thanks again for the help. Im sure I'll be back as I move forward with this project.