Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2008, 08:38 PM

Default glass for vert viv

Okay, so maybe this is a dumb question, but I don't want to screw it up. Okay, so I'm making a vert tank so I need to get glass cut for the front. It'll be made with the hinge inbetween the two pieces of glass. The hinge is a clear acrylic one I bought off of josh's frogs. So here's my dumb question... When I get the glass cut, do I measure the viv from the bottom to the top minus the amount for the mesh and get the two pieces cut exactly to that? Or do they need to be just a tiny bit smaller so that they close completely? Hopefully that made sense. Just like if they're cut exactly to the height I need, will they close okay or will it be too tight of a fit?
I would just hate to get it all wrong and need to get different glass..
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2008, 09:16 PM

Default Re: glass for vert viv

When I made my 10 verts, first I measured how far up I wanted the bottom piece to go up, got two pieces of glass that size, one for inside the rim, and one for outside the rim, I wanted to make sure it had two seals to get through before it would leak. Then I took one of those plastic pieces that get used on the back end for the tops of aquariums (the pieces you can cut out to run your lines, and cords in and out of your tank) and measured how big it is. Then I just added the height of those two, and determined how much glass I needed for the flip down door. Using the plastic piece at the top, allows you to make adjustments, cut-outs for ventilation. I use velcro with a sticky back to keep the tank sealed. One thing I am thinking about doing on future verts, is having the glass shop drill some holes in either the bottom glass, or on the bottom of the flip down door to help a little with air circulation, and running some screen over the holes to keep those sneaky flies, that are trying to escape the frogs ,in the tank where they will be eaten.

Trying to think of what the dimensions of the glass were...

I want to say, bottom was 5" tall x 9 5/8" wide, and the top was 13" x9 5/8", and then trimmed the top piece to fit.

Hope all those words come out to make sense.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:14 AM

Default Re: glass for vert viv

Make a prototype out of foamboard, then use it as a template.