Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 12:48 AM

Default Ive decided to go with tincs

I have an empty 20 Long. Ive wanted darts for some time and after doing a little research ive come to the belive that a pair or 2.1 trio of tincs would be best. My question is im not sure how to setup the tank. Ive got the basic idea but was hoping to see some tinc setups to get a better idea. I already have a corck background but wasnt sure on the bottom. I was thinking about going with the egg crate false bottom and maybe some type of water section. Also i was thinking a coco fiber/peat mix or some type of a moss bedding. If anyone could post some pics of there tinc viv's to give me a better idea that would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2008, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Ive decided to go with tincs

Hi,
I have 3 Cobalt Tinc tanks one is a 20 gal long with 1 1/2 inches of Hydrodon then 1" Spagnum moss and then 1" coco fiber (blocktype) then planted. Has a Pair.
Other tank I have is a 30+ gal cube tank with a false bottom but I only use 1" spaces for the bottom egg crate its has pea gravel not Hydrodon but will have it when I take and redo it, but the upper levels are the same. unknow if a pair. That one has been setup for a year and I have not had any issues.
3rd tank is a 18 gal tall tank with a pair in it, it has false bottom with just spagnum and planted, but that is how I got the tank and the tinc and its working so I have not changed it.

The 20 Gal long just does not have a lot of hight for too thick a layer. I dont have any water feature is any of them. You can but its not needed. sorry cant post pics I cant find the cable for my digital camera. ops:
Old 06-08-2008, 01:40 PM

Does anyone have any picture of there Tincs Viv's? Ive tried useing the search on here with little luck.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:25 AM

I was thinking about adding the med size Exo Terra WaterFall. Would this be a good idea?
Old 06-11-2008, 04:15 AM

? :?:
Old 06-11-2008, 04:30 AM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankminded
I was thinking about adding the med size Exo Terra WaterFall. Would this be a good idea?
If I were you, if this is your first viv and for a smaller sized tank, I would not do a full-blown water feature. They end up being more trouble and taking away valuable space that could be used for plant life and breeding space. Also, you will need some way to siphon water from your tank and a place to access the pump housing because it will need to be serviced and will eventually spill into your tank. Plus, some frogs drown in only 1/4 inch of water. But, that's my opinion---take it or leave it. It would look nice, it just might not be practical unless you are willing to take a lot of extra care to make it work. I just did a simple fogger setup and it looks cool, and I can control the amount of water that goes into the tank.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:31 AM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
I have an empty 20 Long. Ive wanted darts for some time and after doing a little research ive come to the belive that a pair or 2.1 trio of tincs would be best. My question is im not sure how to setup the tank. Ive got the basic idea but was hoping to see some tinc setups to get a better idea. I already have a corck background but wasnt sure on the bottom. I was thinking about going with the egg crate false bottom and maybe some type of water section. Also i was thinking a coco fiber/peat mix or some type of a moss bedding. If anyone could post some pics of there tinc viv's to give me a better idea that would be great.
Visit the gallery on http://www.blackjungle.com---it has a walkthrough that shows you how to set up a terrarium---both for the basic and advanced levels.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:48 AM

Ive set up Viv's before just not one for darts. Ive been into tree frogs for a while now and have 6 other vivs going right now. They range from the small 12x12x12 exo terra to a 44gall. This is just gonna be my first dart Viv and im not sure how to set it up. Ive done some research and wanna build it and have it runing before anything.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:41 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Here is a picture of my tank for my Tincs pair of Brazilian Yellow Heads.
I have to cut back some of the plants but it has a small water fall feature in left hand corner with a pond. I hope this helps. :wink:

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
-Bill Cosby
Old 06-11-2008, 02:52 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Ive set up Viv's before just not one for darts. Ive been into tree frogs for a while now and have 6 other vivs going right now. They range from the small 12x12x12 exo terra to a 44gall. This is just gonna be my first dart Viv and im not sure how to set it up. Ive done some research and wanna build it and have it runing before anything.
If you have bromeliads, it's good to have a wee bit of ventilation for their health, especially if it's kept at ninety-percent humidity. Also, tanks go through a 'mold stage' after fully set up on occasion, so it's good to weather that and see which plants will do well in which areas in your tank before adding frogs since you may have to move them around. That way, you minimize the stress on the frogs and on the ecosystem in your tank by not having to feed during the mold stage and not having frogs die/go into permanent seclusion from constant worrying around in the tank.

Don't get me wrong---I like water features, if they're appropriately-sized for the tank to allow for good plant growth and precautions against poor drainage have been taken. Otherwise, if they tank up half of your tank floor space, it might be better to do without them or just get a fogger setup.