Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2008, 05:19 PM

Default name that frog! and acrylic tanks?

bold

blue

loud call

works in groups

does such a species exist?

im currently researching what frogs i should get (im a total newb, although i have kept fat tailed geckos for years).

im currently thinking auzurus (i know i could only keep a pair) but they dont have a loud call.

also, im looking at getting a 46 gallon acrylic tank. is acrylic a bad idea? ive been reading on this forum about it warping.

thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2008, 06:08 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: name that frog! and acrylic tanks?

Well, you are right, azureus don't have a loud call or do well in groups. Leucs (black with yellow bands) are very bold, do well in groups, are a great begginer frog, and have a very nice loud call. Terriblis are also good, they come in orange, mint, and yellow morphs. They are also very bold, do well in groups, and have a great call. Another frog I almost forgot about is blue auratus. They are blue and black, and are very nice looking. They are fine in groups but females will sometimes wrestle (although usually they will be fine) and females will eat other females eggs sometimes. Their call isn't the loudest, however it can be heard outside of the tank. Some people find theirs are very shy, others are bold, mine are very bold, it depends on what type of tank they are in. I can't comment on the acrylic tank because I don't have any, but hopefully someone else can help you out there.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:23 PM

Blue and black auratus may be closest to meeting all of your requests, although some recommend you don't keep females together, others say a group is fine.
An acrylic tank is usually a fine choice, it's the lid that almost definitely should not be acrylic. The tanks will technically warp, but it is typically so minimal that it won't affect anything and most certainly isn't visible to the naked eye. The lid itself, however, needs to be something sturdier/less prone to warping, unless you want to go with a very thick acrylic lid, or use struts to support it.
A 46 gallon (bowfront?) tank is a nice sized tank to start with and I would guess with auratus you could keep 3M/2F or 3M/1F (someone with more experience than me should comment on that though).

Old 05-05-2008, 04:52 PM

I had a number of good ideas until I red it again and saw the blue. That kinda put a damper on it.

Auratus don't have a loud call either... for loud calls you'd be looking at phyllobates or epipedobates/ameerga, but there isn't much blue going on there. Those groups do great in groups, loud calls, bold as get out... but not much blue. Hmmm. Might want to get a pair of azureus to feed your blue needs, in a smaller tank, and the larger tank put in something like P. terribilis, P. bicolor, P. auroteania, P. vittatus, E. anthonyi, or something like E./A. trivittatus or E./A. bassleri. The "black" bassleri actually seem to have a nice teal/bluish thing going on and may be the closest to fitting all the needs.

If the 46g tank is an acrylic tank for fish, it should be fine as it's made with an acrylic that shouldn't warp much if at all, and is thick enough to resist it anyways. It's when you try and make DIY acrylic tanks that it can get tricky.