Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2008, 05:12 PM

Default Tinc activity levels

well, im really looking forward to my first set of pdf's. this is going to be something ive always wanted to do... ever since i was a kid, i have been enthralled with poison dart frogs. my first trip to the inidanapolis zoo, my heart was taken. i still remember seeing all those blue, little frogs hopping around in a a beautiful planted vivarium with red dots hopping all over the canopy... anyway, im really excited!

so ive been doing a lot of research and i began setting up a 29gallon bowfront tank. im just kinda curious what the activity levels of tincs would be. since they're closely related to azuerus, are they mostly ground dwellers? i have almost the same exact proportaion of length to height and i want some frogs that would cover the entire tank.

are tincs good for this? and are luecs pretty active around the whole tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2008, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Tinc activity levels

Sounds like a great size for tincs. While every frog is different, they are typically more ground dwelling than climbing. I have a pair of Suriname cobalt tincs and they do climb, but on average I'd say they're on the ground 70-80% of the day. They are similarly active compared to azureus, and while I would say mine climb more than the average azureus they are gernally considered ground dwellers as well. Leucs are probably slightly more active, but I'm not sure they climb anymore than tincs.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:31 PM
TWI/ASN

I also have Suriname Cobalts, but mine are probably 60/40% atleast, they climb a lot for Tincs. Generally though the above is correct. Leucs should climb consederable more. Some Tincs might not really climb at all. Mine seem to only really hunt on the ground, rest of the time the sleep in plants up high.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:35 PM

I didn't mention that, but both of mine tend to sleep off of the ground as well. The male likes to slide into a brom in which he barely fits, and the female sleeps on a driftwood ledge under a brom.
80/20 ground dwelling while they're awake though is pretty accurate for mine.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:39 PM

cool, thanks guys, i guess ill just have to do a little bit more research 'til i decide which species i want to try.

ive still got about a month left before im completely done building/cycling the tank, so that'll be plenty of time!

oh, and how many would you recommend in a tank that size? i was thinkin 3 to start off with but if 5 is a good number (which i think might be too many) that'd be a hoppin' little jungle :mrgreen:
Old 05-02-2008, 08:19 PM
TWI/ASN

For Tincs, including Azureus, a pair is recommended for a tank that size. They can be agressive in groups. If it were leucs you could do 3 to even 5 I would think.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:23 PM

my tincs all climb to some extent , the better a tank is set up for climbing the more they tend to do , very active , just as active as my leucs , both are great to watch and keep. pick a type you really like , im sure youll be happy with them.
craig
Old 05-03-2008, 01:07 AM
TWI/ASN

If you do go w/ tincs, and they're froglets, you could go w/ 3-4 in a tank that size. This would only be for a limited time though. Like six to seven months. You would have to split them up later and/or sell the other two if you're going for a pair. No guarantees w/ froglets, but I lucked out w/ 2 females and one male out of three tinc froglets. I've recently sold the other female. Anyway, good luck w/ it all. Choosing can be the most difficult of tasks. nuff said.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:29 PM
TWI/ASN

A pair would work well in that tank. Plenty of branches and root-type pieces of wood that give them access to various levels of the tank (and temp/humidity gradients) would be nice. They are almost always out and active.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:30 AM

Tinctorius and azureus are now considered to be the same species, for whatever this is worth in this discussion. They do differ as all the other populations and various color morphs of tinctorius do, in minor traits, but they are essentially a tinctorius, according to the latest science about them. In my own experience, a pair of azureus breed readily and are hardy. They go up and down in a 30 gallon tank, sometimes on the upper leaves and sometimes on the lower levels for laying eggs and carrying on. They are bold and active, but like other tinctorius, the females in particular, are territorial to the extreme.

Leucs are more into tolerating each other in groups. They use all layers of a tank, but do like to feed on the ground. You have to remember that a tank is not a rainforest, only a bare fraction of the up and down space, so various levels don't mean a great deal when keeping darts in an enclosure limited to inches rather than many yards or meters of height. However, tinctorius in general seem to "appreciate" more footprint, or ground space, vs something like the thumbnails that seem to prefer hanging out more on upper leaves.

Advice is like kissing: it costs nothing and it's a pleasant thing to do. (George Bernard Shaw)
Old 05-05-2008, 04:55 PM

If you give tincs something they can use to access the higher parts of the tank, they are more than happy to go there. Problem is they are large and rather clumsy compared to some of their relatives, and if you build a jungle gym for a vent, they likely won't use the top as much since they are agile enough to get up there :lol: A gentley sloping peice of driftwood and rocks and such to give them levels in the tank they can easily get to and they will enjoy it. The tincs at NAIB are regualarly found at most levels of those tanks (something like 4' high) because they have easy to climb access to other parts of the tanks.

Terrestrial just means in the wild they tend to stay within a meter or so of the leaf litter... and I agree, a 29 bowfront is a great set up for a pair of tincs, and yes, azureus are tincs!