Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2008, 08:51 PM

Default beginners help

LOTS of questions about dart frogs.?
This is going to be long.SoI am young,but have expierience with reptiles and amphibs.I got a 2 foot W,22 in. H,and 12 wide aquarium.How many gallons is it?What online breeder do you reccomend with green and black and blue and black D auratus,or maybe anyone has some for sale?Heres what Im going to put in my tank:substrate aquarium gravel and on top moss,a coco hut for hiding,a bromelaid and other small plants,a water fall,made with hollowed out waterproof driftwood and for the motor I found one at my petstore called repti flow 200 but they also have a repti flow 250 and 350 so im wondering if this one is powerful enough?Im also going to put in a under the tank heater,and rocks too.I am interested in your frogs like D.auratus costarican green and black,blue and black auratus, Dendrobates galactonotus, and D. leucomelas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2008, 09:27 PM

Default Re: beginners help

Let me go ahead and answer the pump question for you. I have a repti flow 200 and it won't pump the water more than 13 inches up. I would say if you want your waterfall closer to the top of your tank, get a more powerful one. Your tank is 27 gallons.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Mod

ok... so as far as the construction of your tank goes, i recommend checking out these links:
http://www.blackjungle.com/basics.html
http://www.joshsfrogs.com/construction.html
http://brianstropicals.com/building.html

and check out the articles here for good measure:
http://www.saurian.net/htm05/froginfo_main.html

If you get an under the tank heater, i would recommend actually placing it on the side of the tank, not the bottom panel.

As for breeders, check out the vender bios section of the forum and you can make your decision based off of what you read... (the sites i listed above are all very good though)

hope that helps!

Old 04-08-2008, 01:13 AM

To answer your gallons question...

Take the Width times the Height, times the Length. That gives you the cubic inches. There are 231 cubic inches in a gallon, so divide the cubic inches by 231 and you'll have the total gallons (if filled to the top with water).

In your case, its 24 in x 22 in x 12 in = 6,336 cubic inches divided by 231 = 27.4 gallons.

Hope that helps.
Bb
Old 04-08-2008, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimbolen99
To answer your gallons question...

Take the Width times the Height, times the Length. That gives you the cubic inches. There are 231 cubic inches in a gallon, so divide the cubic inches by 231 and you'll have the total gallons (if filled to the top with water).

In your case, its 24 in x 22 in x 12 in = 6,336 cubic inches divided by 231 = 27.4 gallons.

Hope that helps.
Bb
or you could cheat and use an old engineering calculator like my husband has...that is how he figured the volume...right down to the exact 27.4 that Bd did. I only wrote 27g...

Now that I know how to calculate volume on my own thanks to the above formula, I am going to tell my husband he can keep his calculator, I'll figure it out...he may think someone came along and stole is blonde wife. :lol: