Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2008, 01:16 AM

Default Viv Project

I have a couple 20's in the basement so I decided to make a living vivarium. I have never done it before so I have a couple questions

here is my design I have come up with. The big black spots are gonna be hollowed out "Planters" to put plants

The bottom has a valve with some hose on it to drain. In order to do that though, I was wondering if it would be possible to basically remove the glass from the bottom of the tank, and replace it with thick plexiglass...that Way I could drill holes alot easier, I dont know if the bottom of this tank is tempered or not. I will have it all on a stand, so under the tank I will have that wierd V shaped contraption. Basically the water will fall into there, and it is sloped, so the water will flow to the valve, for easy emptying. on top of that will be a layer of Larger sized Gravel (the wierd yellowish, and grey stuff) on top of that will be some nylon screen, and on top of the screen will be the dirt, and a small pond. The green stuff is Moss. basically what I want to know is if this will work or not?

thnx for your help, I know there are a couple viv experts here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2008, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Viv Project

I would definately not advise replacing the bottom. You would have a difficult enough time making it watertight again with a glass bottom, let alone plexiglass (which doesnt adhere to glass).

Since the bottom is probably tempered, you could drill a hole near the bottom on one of the sides of the tank. Another option would be having an entirely self-containing system... Water doesn't need to be filtered much when there are plants in the tank.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:02 AM

there are gonna be plants in it for sure...how much cleaning is needed with a self contained system? do you have a link to a page that shows you how to make one?

thnx

Old 03-14-2008, 02:11 AM

Check the stickys and search in the forums.. there's a lot of good info on those topics.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:09 AM

If i were to make my viv all over again I would certainly incorporated a bulkhead and exterior water basin. Thats the way to go for sure...you can keep water heaters and pumps in the exterior basin making everything you need to access...easily accessable. When you search for these look and see how other people have located the bulkhead...it sets the water height so your plants will never end up with waterlogged substrate. For your planters mounted in the background I would make sure you have planned for adequate drainage.

As stated above...removing the bottom is going to be just as much work as drilling tempered glass. If you dont have the tools or time...bring it to a glass shop and they probably can do it and have more practice. Though search again and there are some good threads about how to drill glass...it can be done.

Have fun!
Old 03-14-2008, 04:49 PM

thnx people. A friend of mine is really skilled with vivarium building, and he offered to help me out, so hes gonna drill it tommorow for me