Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 09:09 PM

Default RETF Help!

I am going to be getting a pair of Red-Eyed Green Tree Frogs for my wife. There are five petstores where I live and none of them say that RETF can be successfully kept for any length of time. Obviously, people have kept them and bred them. So, I was hoping that I could get some help from people who have kept them successfully.
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 09:10 PM

The tank that I am going to get for them is an exo-terra 18x18x24. My wife wants a little stream, so I am going with an egg-crate false bottom and very, very shallow stream filtered by an internal filter (hidden under an eggcrate housing). I will mist the tank every morning and every evening with bottled water. There will be several brom's and ferns (like the bird's nest ferns) and I hope to get an orchid to grow as well.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:33 PM

Hello,

I am just about to keep some RETF. In fact, they are in quarantine right now (4 total).

I assume the reason people say that about the tree frogs is due to the fairly strict requirements that have. Their tropical nature means that they do not take to a temperate environment very well. Since most people are not used to this sort of rigor, they make fatal mistakes.

Here are my suggestions:

That is a good sized tank, I have the same dimensions, only by Zoomed. Replace the top with a glass top (you can get the glass cut at a glass place). I actually used gutter guard for my front ventilation. I find I only need to mist every other day to top off evaporation in my water feature.

For the water feature. I would actually install a internal Whisper power filter. You can cut a hole in the eggcrate to accommodate the filter and hide the filter with various decorations. This allows for easy maintinance and cartridge replacement. You then can place rocks or wood, siliconed together, where the water overflows to get that stream effect.

I would also install a submersible heater since water really absorbs a whole lot of heat. This will help control rapid temperature fluctuations. You also might want to install a 'pond' in case you get a pair that you end up being able to breed. All you need to do is cut a corner section out of the eggcrate and put down mesh to prevent travel underneath the false bottom. I would then have the stream empty into the pond.

Be sure to read up on orchids before you put one in. Most varieties do not take to stagnant air and wet roots. I am surprised mine is still alive and thriving (I attribute that to the fans I have running to air it out).

Old 01-22-2008, 09:38 PM

Also, allow the viv to run for at least a month to get a feel for how quickly it dries out and the temperature fluctuations. This allows you to fix any problems before the frogs are in and can be affected.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the info. This is the basic setup that I have prepared for, complete with the whisper filter, heater, and stream. I haven't planned for a pond, the water simply drains through the eggcrate at the end of the stream. I have four books on tree frog and two of them say that RETF need a lot of ventillation. The author says that they should be misted two to three times a day, but humidity should drop back down to 80% one to two hours at the most after the misting. I'm curious if the screen top should really be replaced?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:12 PM

I had a RETF for nearly 6 years, so they can be kept for significant periods of time. I used a screen top covered to varying degrees with saran (sp?) wrap depending on the ambient humidity. I don't remember specific humidities as it's been awhile since I've kept RETFs but my humidities would drop well below 80 during the day. RETFs are fairly resistant to desiccation during the day. At night, I would spray once thoroughly (they will be more active). And a clean water source should also always be provided. Usually just a small bowl, although a stream/small pond are fine. Hope this helps...Good Luck

JD

1.1 Azureus
Old 01-26-2008, 11:03 PM

This does help, thanks. I really don't like the plastic wrap look though.