Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 07:04 AM

Default Possible new project (paludarium)

Hi all, I have very few posts here and do not keep darts, yet. But I'm pretty sure that I will be setting up an "odd sized" aquarium as a paludarium for, possibly, some D. auratus.
The tank in question had been my favorite aquarium before a panel of glass broke during a move (was the front, is currently the back) and is currently housing a female Leopard Gecko... she had a "friend" for the last few years but they started fighting recently and the other is living elsewhere and so the remaining one is going to move in to a smaller tank soon. Anywho, the tank I do not trust with very much water because of the cracks but I will test it before starting this project (of course).
The tank is 3'l, 2't and 18"d (which works out to around 65g) and I was thinking of having the water area along the front (so maybe 3' x 6" x 6" of water area, not including driftwood and shore).
I have read that the auratus are found near streams and puddles/ponds and fare better in water than most the others do plus would use some of the height of the tank in question. In the water section I was going to have plants and possibly my two magenta apple snails but I might just stick with some red cherry shrimp or Endler's livebarers (if I go with the fish I will probably only have a couple males in there, not enough space for a couple females and males because, well, they are livebarers. lol)

For plants I haven't thought much about the terrestrial plants but figured on using high humidity plants from aquariums which can grow immersed in the water and on the shore, such as Crypt wedntii, Anubius, Java fern, Bolbitis, moss, Glossostigma and Riccia.

I was thinking of using some ADA aquasoil for the water area but I might only need it for the Glosso, I also have some soilmaster select charcoal (charcoal is the color, this is a baked clay substrate sold for ball fields but used for planted tanks) and other substrates I can work with.

Right now I'm in a very loose planning stage but am trying to get some general ideas worked out, like lighting. Right now I have a 2x65w pc florescent fixture which I could mount to the underside of the rack I'm planning on setting this up on (it is a half "gorilla rack" where the top shelf is going to be holding a 55g aquarium) and have that provide light to the palu as well as a misc little tank next to it (possibly a plant only little hex tank). I'm not sure that it would be a good amount of light for the project so I thought I would bring it up.
I'll be getting a 4x65w pc soon from someone in a club I'm in, I was planning on using that for the 55g though.

Ok, sorry for rambling so much, I do it all the time!

If you have any questions or comments please do reply.

Oh, also, I was wondering... if the auratus won't use the water portion for babies, would it be beneficial to have a smaller secondary water area in the tank for them? Devoid of fish, etc.

Thanks in advance

-Cassie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2008, 11:49 AM

Sounds pretty awesome to me. I am no expert on the frog part so I wont say anything other than to keep us updated with pics as you go along id really like to see how this turns out in the end. I really want to do my own paludarium in the spring time. It was either another viv like my current or a paludarium but id really love to do a paludarium similar to what you want to do. You are lucky you can find SMS i know many in the U.S use it for the planted tanks since its cheap and works quite well but unfortunately in Canada we have none. I really like the idea of RCS in there..im guessing there will be a waterfall or something similar using a pump to clean the water? Your plant list looks great.. i have some java fern in my current viv thats out of the water and must say they do much better in the water. If they are out of the water they need to be very wet to keep them from drying out. 4x65 should be plenty enough i would imagine. Are you planning on mounting broms on the back or anywhere else? otherwise..it looks like youve done this before or maybe have been doing a lot of research :wink:
Old 01-08-2008, 03:38 PM

I love hearing peoples ideas for new tanks. I am gonna watch, hopefully you update us, on your progress. I am thinking about creating a Paludarium next, but will have to save up after the cost of my first viv. Please post updates of the process, I learn from visuals, not reading *right brainer* .
Don't rip the fun out of it like I did, couldn't sleep during the whole process, fretting over the minor details. :lol:

Old 01-08-2008, 06:00 PM

If I thought the SMS was worth the shipping cost and the fee for sending it out of the country I would buy more and send it to people but I think the cost would end up making it not worthwhile, I could be wrong though.

And yes, about a waterfall or something with a pump to keep the water clean, I was thinking of being tricky and using a Magnum H.O.T. filter for it but I haven't worked on that yet, the tank I plan on using still has a gecko (and loads of sand/cork bark, etc) but I will probably have some RCS in there if nothing else for the water portion.

My plant list will probably be fiddled with quite a bit and I'll have to figure out what to have on the land and mounted to wood, etc. I'll probably use three broms in there (I'm thinking all the same type, seems too random to me to have a random bunch tossed together most the time) and I might bring in some of my Bacopa caroliniana too which should do well in the tank, possibly too well (will have to clip it from time to time for sure! hehe). As far as the Java fern, I have seen quite a few people use it where it has access to water like in a waterfall or sticking out of the pond areas in their tank, I think as long as you slowly let it acclimate and it is humid enough it should work. I don't seem to have any extra regular java fern but I do have the wendelov and thin leaf varieties available to try out.
And Riccia... well, most people would probably agree, if you have healthy Riccia around you always have some to spare. hehe

Actually I was planning on using my 4x65w for my 55g aquarium and using my 2x65w for the palu but depending on plants in each I might change my mind and swap them. I don't want to blind the darts (if thats what I do get, I would like to).

As far as having done this before, I have never kept darts but I have kept loads of other critters in the past and I used to talk to a dart person every day almost who sold plants & supplies... I was actually working on a 2' cube tank in 2001 as a palu but I had to move and during the move the tank broke so I never finished and then I bought supplies to make a 20g tall but had to move back. I still have most of the supplies for that and am thinking of incorporating them in to this...
I've set up loads of tanks (of various kinds) and it's really one of my favorite things to do, and I have done lots of reading about darts on here and other places so hopefully it will all work out. Most likely the tank will remain frogless for quite awhile, I will want to make sure everything is peachy before putting anyone in there.

I could possibly use a 55g but when I did the math the footprint on my 65(or so) is higher, plus it is a little bit taller which is nice

Thanks for your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikee
Sounds pretty awesome to me. I am no expert on the frog part so I wont say anything other than to keep us updated with pics as you go along id really like to see how this turns out in the end. I really want to do my own paludarium in the spring time. It was either another viv like my current or a paludarium but id really love to do a paludarium similar to what you want to do. You are lucky you can find SMS i know many in the U.S use it for the planted tanks since its cheap and works quite well but unfortunately in Canada we have none. I really like the idea of RCS in there..im guessing there will be a waterfall or something similar using a pump to clean the water? Your plant list looks great.. i have some java fern in my current viv thats out of the water and must say they do much better in the water. If they are out of the water they need to be very wet to keep them from drying out. 4x65 should be plenty enough i would imagine. Are you planning on mounting broms on the back or anywhere else? otherwise..it looks like youve done this before or maybe have been doing a lot of research :wink:
Old 01-08-2008, 07:07 PM

I learn from both but mostly visuals, especially if it's super technical, all the words end up confusing me. heh
I will update for sure, I need to start moving my gecko to her new tank but have been putting it off because my sister said she wants to come over and help. hehe

Nah, I'll lose all my sleep before I start setting it up, I have way too much fun setting up tanks

I still have loads to figure out though, I was really considering not having a background but I need to at least cover part of it because of the cracks in the glass. I think I have an idea for that

Thanks for your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfrg9
I love hearing peoples ideas for new tanks. I am gonna watch, hopefully you update us, on your progress. I am thinking about creating a Paludarium next, but will have to save up after the cost of my first viv. Please post updates of the process, I learn from visuals, not reading *right brainer* .
Don't rip the fun out of it like I did, couldn't sleep during the whole process, fretting over the minor details. :lol:
Old 01-08-2008, 08:08 PM

Sounds good but I think a 4x65 watt PC is a bad choice. It will create way too much heat and that might actually be too much light. A 2x65 watt PC set up might be ok so long as it doesn't get too hot.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:06 PM

Thank you for your reply
I was thinking it would be too much, my 2x65w seems to throw a good amount of light and doesn't get very warm under the lights, it's sitting on a 55g right now for a sort of grow out tank until I get my aquarium worked out.

Whichever light I end up using (most likely the 2x65w) it won't be resting on the top of the tank either, I was planning on suspending it between the tank and shelf which will help with heat a little but too.
I certainly do not want to cook any frogs (or any inhabitants...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skronkykong
Sounds good but I think a 4x65 watt PC is a bad choice. It will create way too much heat and that might actually be too much light. A 2x65 watt PC set up might be ok so long as it doesn't get too hot.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:22 AM

Yeah, I agree 2x65 should be plenty enough for plants. I hope you keep us updated id really like to see this build i will definitely need some help with my palu when i get started. But that wont be for another couple months..i have to many hobbies most of it goes into my reef tank :P..i just bought 2 new lumen max 3 metal halide lights with their new blue wave 7 dual ballast for 600 so no palu for awhile! is it a 65T? that would be really nice for it actually. I hope to use my 50g breeder. I love making backgrounds out of of GS foam..it is a bit of work but it really looks nice after. I would go with a background or try the epiweb and grow moss on it! well w/e you do keep us updated :wink:
Old 01-09-2008, 03:47 AM

A reef tank huh... I love reef tanks, I'm a huge fan of hermit crabs and shrimp, things like that... Halides are awesome, on freshwater planted tanks you use them over and open top tank and it gives a super nice shimmer. I don't have one, but I've seen them. heh
The tank is a size/shape I haven't seen before, super thick glass, super thick glass support (I just remembered that, eek. that might be a badger to get around in the project), black silicone... it's 3' long, 18" deep and 24" tall.
This evening I brought in the false floor that was made for me years ago along with a silicone/pebble streambed that I may or may not use... also brought in a rather large manzinita burl type object... I tossed the false floor in my empty 40g breeder to check the size and there was a lot of open space left over, I'm contemplating islands in there also to use up space and add more land plus using wood they can climb on.

I need to get working on moving my gecko so I can wiggle items around in the actual tank and see how it goes. heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikee
Yeah, I agree 2x65 should be plenty enough for plants. I hope you keep us updated id really like to see this build i will definitely need some help with my palu when i get started. But that wont be for another couple months..i have to many hobbies most of it goes into my reef tank :P..i just bought 2 new lumen max 3 metal halide lights with their new blue wave 7 dual ballast for 600 so no palu for awhile! is it a 65T? that would be really nice for it actually. I hope to use my 50g breeder. I love making backgrounds out of of GS foam..it is a bit of work but it really looks nice after. I would go with a background or try the epiweb and grow moss on it! well w/e you do keep us updated :wink:
Old 01-09-2008, 04:04 AM

Oh yeah, here is a picture of the tank in question currently, well, the photo is actually from summer but close enough.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:45 PM

Default Keep us updated

I have a 55g frog tank that started out in just about the same way. I hadn't used it in quite a while and decided to set it back up. In the process of moving it from the basement I cracked the back glass. It is now home to a pair of Pumilio Almirante. I did a great stuff background which covered the cracks on the back of the tank. I used a 3" gravel bed covered with screen and then my substrate. I have a waterfall at one end with a water feature under it that is probably about 7"x10"X about 2". I also have another smaller water feature at the other end of the tank in the front corner. My pump for the waterfall is placed completely at the opposite end from the waterfall which let's the water get filtered by the gravel as it flows from the waterfall end to the pump end. To put the pump under the gravel I took a plastic bowl and cut a couple of pieces out of the sides of it and placed it upside down over the pump with a piece of screen covering it and then put the gravel over it. I have java moss at the edge of the water coming out onto the land and it is growing like crazy. I also put some java moss at the other end near the smaller water feature yet not touching it and it is also growing fairly well and has started to grow up the side of a coco hut.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:35 AM

Well, I have the tank empty now but not cleaned. We moved the Leopard Gecko into her new tank on Sat. and today we decided that my primarily South American planted 55g (plants and shrimp won't be biotope correct) will go on the bottom shelf of the rack and this 65g will go on the top rack
This tank is SO HEAVY! My sister and I picked it up to move it (my boyfriend hurt his back at work so he couldn't help) and it was crazy... super thick glass.

I'm still thinking of how I want to do a partial background, it should be interesting. lol

Ok, more to come, I'm sure!
Old 01-16-2008, 10:29 PM

&

Thats the tank with just my false bottom thing and a wood piece I plan on using in there... the wood is supposedly manzanita but I'm not sure, it could be a different but similar wood.

The description I used for the two images in my gallery here:
"You can see the piece of "false bottom" I'm planning to use and the big piece of wood I'm planning to use. The rest of the area will be water of varying depths and I will have islands made of malaysian driftwood probably to add more land area.
That piece of wood has three long branches great for mounting plants!"

I also have an idea for a thin branch of manzanita or two, higher up but I haven't decided yet.

I know it is a large area for water but I'm hoping that between the "land" of the false bottom, the "fallen tree stump" and a couple islands I will have it acceptable for a couple darts.
It isn't going to be very deep and will have plants on the surface also.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:01 AM

Went to Lowe's today to grab a can of Great Stuff and a brown silicone (the only thing of silicone without the mold inhibitor in it!) and accidentally grabbed three plants (yes, it was an accident, I swear)...
I grabbed a sad looking Alocasia sanderiana, a Stomanthe sanguinea "Tricolor" and uh, some kind of Calathea which I haven't quite IDd yet.
I'm trying to find out about dividing the Tricolor and the Calathea (I'm thinking they have bulb like things that they travel from, but am not sure) so that I can use them in other projects too, especially the Tricolor

I also have been eyeing the orchids I have around here... I have three groups of Bulbophyllums which would prefer to have a decent humidity and temp around them. I just forgot one of the others I have (and one which doesn't have a tag at all)

I still need to clean the tank, I can't carry it by myself and my boyfriend hurt himself so I won't be able to work on it soon... I'll be working on a small (15g or so) hex tank if I can figure some things out.