Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 05:19 PM

Default My Auratus drives me up a wall

Auratus' are beautiful don't get me wrong...when you can see them! Every now and then I'll see mine peaking out of the leaf litter or out of a brom. Then POOF! He dashes away....it's getting sooo annoying.....but what can i expect....it IS an auratus.....anyone have an auratus that is bold?

1.0.0 Theloderma corticale
1.0.0 Agalychnis callidryas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 05:55 PM
TWI/ASN

Try getting him some friends. I have heard others that have very bold Auratus. Here are the things I would consider.

1. Age, many frogs get bolder with time
2. Humidity, frogs may hide when it is too low
3. Cover, if the tank does not have easily accessible cover the frogs are likley to stay where the cover is easy to access, like in a brom or under some leafs.
4. Companionship, now this is a guess, but he could be bolder with a friend or two.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:58 PM

Yeah, sometimes I wonder if there are actually frogs in that tank...

Old 01-02-2008, 05:59 PM

Yeah, sometimes I wonder if there are actually frogs in that tank... But higher humidity and leaf cover really do make a difference.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:13 PM

Most auratus are bold when they are secure in their viv. Even my blue and black auratus are fairly bold and can be seen out and about in the viv on a daily basis.

Our green and black auratus are in a high traffic area in the kitchen and are always visible, begging to be fed.

Lots of cover and high humidity plus age tends to do the trick.

Bill
Old 01-02-2008, 06:20 PM
TWI/ASN

I have seen bold auratus. Brent B. has a trio that I see out everytime I am over there. You can even come up, touch the glass, open the top, whatever and they dont run away. I think some of this come with being used to people being around and knocking around the viv. Now you want to see some shy ones? My lamasi are only around if they dont think they are being watched. If you breath in their direction they go into the leaf litter.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away - and barefoot"

Join the Amphibian Steward Network
Old 01-02-2008, 07:18 PM

Humidity stays near a constant 95% and the entire tank floor is covered in leaf litter....there are many plants...the only thing i can think of is he needs another auratus with him...keep up the feedback thanks.

1.0.0 Theloderma corticale
1.0.0 Agalychnis callidryas
Old 01-02-2008, 07:40 PM

My auratus are plenty bold. Just make sure they have a lot of leaf litter, and they should be comfortable enough to make a few appearances throughout the day.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:47 PM

One of my Blue & Blacks' is very bold, but the other is very shy (although he has been getting bolder...). I see the one every time I look in the viv, and I can even open the door and tap on the front bar (it's an exoterra), and she comes right over. She is almost tinc-like...

I just have a layer of leaves and keep the humidity relatively high, and they are out all the time. I also have plenty of hiding places (2 cocohuts)...
Old 01-02-2008, 08:18 PM

I have 3 auratus in a highly planted, very humid viv.
they have been in there for months and once in a while I see one running for the bushes when I go to the toilet at night. for the rest: nothing.
very annoying and my husbands keeps complaining about the frogs and keeps telling me I need to get rid of them. I don't even know they are all still alive and have no idea where they are hiding
Old 01-02-2008, 09:05 PM

My son has two Microspot Auratus in a 10g viv. Everytime I go into the room, they will hop to the front of the tank and look up expecting to be fed. The only time they'll dash is if he's in there playing with some of his friends and they're loud and jumping around. Other than that, they are always out and visible.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:40 AM
TWI/ASN

Mine are extremely bold, just as much as my azureus and leucs. Their tank really isn't that complex, and a shyer frog probably would never come out of the few hiding spaces in my auratus tank. I think if you give them time, especially in a tank with more than one auratus, they are really very bold. I really don't think people give aurartus enough credit, they really are great frogs if they aren't shy. I realize some morphs are more bold than others, but I have had some that are said to be very shy and are very bold when given good hiding places. I hope yours get a little bolder so you can appreciate them more.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:32 AM
TWI/ASN

mine is extremely bold, never used to be though, its almost 2 years old now. but i didn't see it for 6 months at all. thought it may have been dead, almost ripped up the viv, good thing i didn't. they become much more bold as they get older and get used to their surroundings.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:56 AM

How old is this shy auratus? Young ones also tend to be more shy than old ones. As Sarah mentioned, mine are notoriously bold and frequently even jump on the back of the hand when I'm servicing the viv. But they were much more shy the first year or two. Not terribly shy but would run and hide if you didn't approach slowly. Now they are 12 and could care less about what is going on around the tank. Even the 100 lb. dog can walk up and watch them. And I agree a tank mate might help.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:27 AM

I have 2 blue and blacks and one hides quite a bit but the other is always out in the open. They're still froglets but this guy will actually try to jump out at you if you don't dump those fruit flys fast enough. The other ventures out but not nearly as often. They're in a 10 gallon thats heaily planted, high humidity 80's-90's and average temps around 75f. I think alot of it is just the individual frog, no matter what anyone say I think they all have there own personalities.. some are just more bold then others.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:08 AM

forgot to mention: mine are adult farmbred import and I have heard from many people that they probably will remain shy and only their offspring will be seen.
they are very beautifull so for now I am keeping them anyway. It's only a problem because you can't check if they are eating enough and aren't sick.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:59 PM
TWI/ASN

one of my auratus is extremely bold. i can get the camera an inch from him and he dont care. and the other will be out but the second i touch the lid to feed them or mist he freaks.

mine are adults and in a big tank(for them) with TONS of hiding places and leaf litter. i keep there tank between 90-95% humidity and mostlt leave them alone unless im feeding them.

give em time, good luck!

Ranitomeya, Oophaga, Ameerega, and Phyllobates.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:23 PM

Hey, I have 4 costa rican green and black auratus that are about 4 or 5 months old that at least 2 of them can always be seen, and they are in a 55 gallon viv.

Curt.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:33 PM

I have three turquoise and bronze auratus that are always out and about they are not afraid of ANYTHING, they were never visible when they were younger. One thing that everyone says and has proven quite true for myself is that they seem to be more bold when they have a water feature. Good luck and stick with it I went through the same frustration when I first got my frogs.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:03 PM

I have 3 black and green auratus and are always at the front of the tank begging to be fed. They only get skitish when I move the lid, but I think that would be expected. Just give him some time patience is a virtue.
0.0.1 Dwarf Cobalt
0.0.2 Super blues
0.0.2 Leucs
Old 01-07-2008, 12:36 AM

Default Lack of boldness

It's nice to see others share my own dissappointment with Auratus. I keep the humidity high, tons of overgrown plants, leaf litter etc and with most of mine I see them only when they are hungry.I keep about seven different forms and to say the least, I would not recommend them as first frog for this reason and never figured out the popularity. Someone please explain this to me.
I do have to agree that humidity plays a vital factor with visibility with all the frogs I keep.
B.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:36 AM

Default Lack of boldness

It's nice to see others share my own dissappointment with Auratus. I keep the humidity high, tons of overgrown plants, leaf litter etc and with most of mine I see them only when they are hungry.I keep about seven different forms and to say the least, I would not recommend them as first frog for this reason and never figured out the popularity. Someone please explain this to me.
I do have to agree that humidity plays a vital factor with visibility with all the frogs I keep.
B.