Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2007, 05:14 AM

Default Tank build

First off id like to say Hi to everyone. I am new to this forum and viv/frogs in general. Another hobby!? ..yep! soon to be hobby #3. Currently i have a reef tank, and breed exotic birds. I have always been fascinated by planted tanks but i recently saw some viv tanks and been inspired by some nice setups with dart frogs. I have always loved the tropical rainforest look to it and hope to soon have my own viv! . Well today i went to my local pet store and bought a 24x18x24 exo terra tank. As you know i am pretty new so I dont really know how exactly the best way is to setup a viv. I read a bit about false bottoms, different substrate choices, lighting, misters, DIY backgrounds etc.. but i got lost :?. It would be nice to hear a few ideas that seem to work well for many..kind of like step by step for setting up fresh. I kind of have the general idea.. but since im new im not sure what the "better" way of doing it would be. As for now i will continue researching, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2007, 05:52 PM

Hey, there are alot of different ways of doing things. I use Leca, which is just small clay balls for drainage. Leca and Eggcrate work just fine for the bottom layer. You really should look at the construction journals and see what look you like, and get ideas from them. There really isn't a right way and a wrong way, so just do what you like the look of. If you would like you could either GS a background, or you can just use the background that comes with the Exo-Terra. I just siliconed and put Coco fiber on my girlfriends exoterra and it looks nice. If you are putting alot of plants on the background then you will barly see the background anyway. What type of frogs are you planning on putting in your tank? Thumbnail species? or a larger frog that likes the ground level?

Good Luck, Curt.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:32 PM

I'm at work so I dont have time to explain but here's the worklog of my XXXL exo.

http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewt ... light=xxxl

Old 10-24-2007, 01:40 AM

Thanks for the reply. I will be putting thumbnail species in it. My plan was cutting up 2 inch pieces of pvc pipe, putting egg crate on top of that and netting mesh over the eggcrate, then adding coconut fiber and mix a few other things together with that. I will look more into the construction jobs done on here, thanks again.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:13 AM

Wow! thanks belle your setup is beautiful! Thats exactly what i need to see thanks again.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:24 AM

no problem, glad its there to help people out.