• 1 Post By Celtic Aaron
  • 1 Post By oscar c
  • 1 Post By Aldross
  • 3 Post By Aldross
  • 1 Post By Encyclia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2015, 01:16 AM

Default Too much water?

Ok, I've had my 18x18x24 exo-terra up and running for about a month and a half. I'm now ready to put frogs in, but I'm concerned about the amount of water in the bottom of the tank. I'm not sure if there is too much water in the bottom of the tank. The plants are doing fine so far. Here are some pictures. The water is up to the red line. The Hydroballs are 2" deep and the coco fiber is 3" deep.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2015, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Too much water?

Way too much water! The water level should never reach the substrate level! As a matter of practice, I usually drain the water when it is about 1" from the substrate.
Mavpa likes this.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:13 AM

How do you drain it? I don't have any water pump set up for the tank.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:36 AM

Try to push a length of tubing in a corner down through the substrate and into the drainage layer, then siphon the water into a bucket. It helps to incorporate a feature in your vivs when building them to allow easy access to the drainage.

You're misting too much if the water level is that high. I would cut back on that a bit.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:31 PM

Yeah, I agree. The problem is that when I started the tank I had a cheap hydrometer and it broker pretty early from what I could tell. So for a couple weeks it read 75% humidity when, in fact, it was probably at 100%. Once I got a new digital hydrometer I didnt test different settings on my mister, for some reason. It only occured to me that there mighty be too much water in there last night. I shut the mister off for today. I'll probably only run it twice a day instead of every two hours. I'll just have to experiment with it again. I'll buy a hose today and drain the water out.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urionfranz View Post
Yeah, I agree. The problem is that when I started the tank I had a cheap hydrometer and it broker pretty early from what I could tell. So for a couple weeks it read 75% humidity when, in fact, it was probably at 100%. Once I got a new digital hydrometer I didnt test different settings on my mister, for some reason. It only occured to me that there mighty be too much water in there last night. I shut the mister off for today. I'll probably only run it twice a day instead of every two hours. I'll just have to experiment with it again. I'll buy a hose today and drain the water out.
Sounds good. You will have to play with the timing to see how it works for you. I mainly hand mist now, but I did have that same Monsoon system and I only ran it for 15 seconds at a time twice a day, and sometimes that was too much. Hand misting, I usually only do it once a day or so. What kind of top to you have on that viv?
Old 05-21-2015, 02:15 PM

I have the normal screen top, but I had plexiglas cut to fit snuggly over the screen sections.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:43 PM

i would cut one of those plex in half length wise and you should be good to go.
urionfranz likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to oscar c For This Useful Post:
urionfranz (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 02:50 PM

It looks like the frogs I ordered aren't coming today so i'll probably have about 4 days to dry things out. I'll probably drain the water then leave the doors on the tank open to let everything dry out a bit. I'll probably add a few more plants as well, for hiding space and to drink up more water.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:54 PM

What types of frogs are you getting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2015, 04:59 PM

Phyllobates bicolor and Dendrobates truncatus.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:14 PM
TWI/ASN

And you intend to house them together in just the one viv

Midwest Amphibians page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/702107233244402/
Old 05-21-2015, 05:25 PM

Uh oh. A hybridization nazi found me.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:29 PM

I was going to add that I personally do not think that you need to add more plants to the floor of the viv; however, you could use a lot more of that vertical space. You could create more levels that would give the inhabitants much more room. Even if your frogs are considered terrestrial, they will utilize more of the vertical space of a viv than you may think when it is properly constructed. Adding some nice pieces of wood at decent climbing angles and creating ledges will do wonders in my opinion.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Uh oh. A hybridization nazi found me.
While a very big deal in my opinion, hybridization is not the only reason for not mixing frogs. This has been discussed many times over, and no one can stop you from doing what you want; however, for the health and well-being of the frogs it is very important that you carefully research and plan this out. You have to properly construct a viv, know what species can be together, and know how to determine if they are stressed. From the looks and sounds of it, I would definitely suggest that you start with one species...just my humble opinion.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:45 PM

I was actually thinking about making a background and planting some bromeliads on it. The first background I made from great stuff fell off the glass, thank goodness there were no frogs in it at the time. I'm thinking about making it out of an air conditioning filter. The green kind that you cut to fit. Covering it in coco fiber and gluing it to the glass.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:53 PM
TWI/ASN

I prefer to think of myself as a purist but label me however.
A rather unprovoked response imo. I only asked a question but seeing is you want to be a douche I'll respond in kind.
There is no reason behind housing many species together other than you can't afford to build many enclosures and are too greedy to only choose one type at the moment. I have seen nice mixed vivs and even complemented the person on them. It was well planned and they took measures to ensure there was no hybrids being produced. You are not in the same.
You can't even tell if you have to much water in a viv on your own. You went to a website like a kid and just said oohh I'll take one of these and one of those and put is the cheapest viv I can construct.
topher likes this.

Midwest Amphibians page
Old 05-21-2015, 06:14 PM

This is where the nice well intentioned nazi shows his colors. That response wasn't unprovoked. I've read plenty of your responses on people having mixed species tanks and they all run like your last post. Your "helpful" post was simply posted in response to what I said. Had I simply answered "yeah, they'll be in the same tank" then your rant would have started them and there. I have no interest in peoples opinion on what I should be housing in my tank. Otherwise my post would have read "what does everyone else think I should put in my tank." Very convenient you showing up as soon as two frogs, one tank was mentioned.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:46 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
This is where the nice well intentioned nazi shows his colors. That response wasn't unprovoked. I've read plenty of your responses on people having mixed species tanks and they all run like your last post. Your "helpful" post was simply posted in response to what I said. Had I simply answered "yeah, they'll be in the same tank" then your rant would have started them and there. I have no interest in peoples opinion on what I should be housing in my tank. Otherwise my post would have read "what does everyone else think I should put in my tank." Very convenient you showing up as soon as two frogs, one tank was mentioned.
Well I'm so flattered that you went and researched me.
Yes I do and always will oppose hybrids. I will even more so oppose mixed vivs of people who have no clue what they are doing.
You want some helpful advice?
Your viv is poorly set up. You use coco coir for soil and your plants roots will rot in time. That has probably already begun since you can't tell what to moist looks like. You should have used something that drains better. The commonly recommended is ABG. Many of our sponsers sell it at a reasonable price. They also sell leaf litter. You will want that to.
Your HomeDepot plants will get to large for that viv. Your brom that's planted on the ground will die. They don't like their roots being wet very long. Try mounting it on some cork or driftwood.
For your background idea it is easier to use something like eggcrate to to make a removable with. A nice solid piece will hold up better in the long run.
Have I covered everything that you could find in a thread somewhere else or should someone that gives a shit about the hobby keep holding your hand?
Erikb3113, RikRok and topher like this.

Midwest Amphibians page
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aldross For This Useful Post:
Erikb3113 (05-26-2015), RikRok (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 07:09 PM

I believe that should be it for now. If there is anything else I have a question about I'm sure you'll be around. It's always nice to have an elitist snob around to answer questions you don't ask them.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:32 PM

You may not have asked for that advice, Franz, but there is some really good stuff in that post. If you take care of that stuff now, before the frogs arrive, you could save yourself some heartache down the road. Elitists sometimes have really good advice ;-)

Mark
urionfranz likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Encyclia For This Useful Post:
urionfranz (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 08:22 PM

If expecting people to do things properly and in the best interest of the animals they keep rather than themselves makes one an "elitist snob".... please add me to the list of elitist snobs.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:25 PM

Actually those things don't, but if that is why you thought I said that then maybe you do fall into that category. Don't know.