Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2015, 05:30 PM

Default Sufficient QT container?

I know this gets asked alot, believe me I searched for it. Still, since I'll be getting my first frogs on Friday I figured it would be best to ask and make certain this is adequately set up even with the research under my belt. I apologize, it's the nerves.

This will house 6 vittatus for 30 days or so, with auxiliary QTs being set up in order to isolate sick or thin frogs. The Viv is technically ready for them, but I want to be certain everybody is ok before moving them in.

It's 16"x12"x13", it has a layer of sphagnum about .5" deep and a dense layer of leaf litter. I have two cuttings of Pothos,and then a spare cork tube thrown in for flavor. The vent was made with no see um netting and hot glue, I think I might do both sides of the cut out. Standard CFL, seeded with spring tails. The lid locks in place tightly, abs the container is food safe iirc.

Did I miss anything? I'll take any critique, I just want it to be as perfect as possible.

Edited to add: no windex was used in the making of this production
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2015, 05:47 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: Sufficient QT container?

You don't need the lamp. Enough light for the frogs will come through the sides. I house each frog by itself during qt but I'm sure many don't. I just put them in a 128oz container and stack um up.
Besides that you look good.

Midwest Amphibians page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/702107233244402/
Old 05-20-2015, 05:49 PM

If you have 6 vittatus, I would set up two of these, unless they are small babies. Putting in enough food without stressing the frogs will be easier and keeping track of individual frogs will be easier.

I wouldn't use the lamp over the container either unless your room gets really cold. Ambient room light is good enough for the frogs and the pothos. A CFL lamp that close will tend to add more heat than you need.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:44 PM

I'll be sure to remove the lamp. I can make another one of these in short order, although reading it now individual quarantine pods would make more sense. I'll see what I can source locally to that end.

Thanks for the help guys, at least it seems like the bulk of my methodology is sound.