Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2007, 04:08 AM

Default whew, what a lucky day for a frog owner

Today on the way into work I passed what looked like a hex tank unfortunately I was moving way to fast to tell for sure (as usual running a little late for work). I was really upset with myself for not stopping to look at it, and I was sure I was going to have a bad day. I went into the shop to get my stops for the day and found out I was going to be going back past the tank, of course I was really excited that I might still be able to get the tank. I go to leave to drive to the job and my helper was nowhere to be seen (LATE AGAIN). Jump forward a half-hour and my helper shows up, we leave and drive by the place where the tank was and there is a garbage truck a few houses before it, I got out of the truck and looked at the tank and it's a 20 gallon hex in great condition with everything including a nice custom wood hex stand.

Ok so I'm all psyched about my new tank and after a long day of work (dang was it hot) I got home and the first thing I did was look at my frogs. I instantly wondered why the front of the tank was so clear instinctually I looked at the humidity gauge and saw that the humidity was at 81% which is really strange for my tank. I opened up the door to the hood and saw that the glass top was WIDE OPEN. Unbelievably over the course of almost 20 hours between when I fed the frogs and when I got home from work the frogs all stayed in their tank, these are the same 3 frogs who use every chance to escape.

I am sooooooo lucky

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2007, 04:12 AM

You are very lucky....oddly enough the lowered humidity is probably what saved you. The frogs will instinctively hunker down in the viv at the bottom where it's still relatively humid as opposed to exploring the 'arid' regions above when the top was open.

Thanks for sharing and check that top from now on 8)
Bill
Old 07-27-2007, 04:37 AM

the funny thing is I usually have OCD about checking the stupid top (drives my girlfriend nuts) I would have felt so awful if one of my frogs died because of my stupidity (or because I stay up way too late at night)