Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2007, 06:33 AM

Default First time poster...long time reading...

or at least I think that's how it goes.

Anyway, In August, I start my first real job as a 10th grade teacher at a high school somewhere over the rainbow (near Lafayette, IN). Anyway, I'd love to start a 10G vertical viv for a pair or trio of PDF's. I'm thinking auratus (the hawaiian version from pumilio.com). I'm sure I"ll have quite a few questions over the next few months about setting up. I'd like to have a water feature, and have it planted primarily with dwarf orchids (as Hoosier Orchid is in Indianapolis and I'm on a first name basis with them). Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself now, and later I'm sure I'll be asking plenty of questions.

BTW...do you think that auratus would be good for a 10G vertical tank? Or should I go with something else?

Anyway, a bit about me - -I just graduated from Butler University in Indianapolis as an Education major, and have been keeping and breeding tropical fish in planted tanks for 3 years, and bettas for 4 years. My freshman year, all my beer money came from selling bettas. Anyway, a few other hobbies of mine include drag racing, car restoring, and orchids and bromeliads. Never kept a terrarium before, so this will be interesting.

Well, thanks for looking. I'm sure I'll be on here a lot in the near future...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2007, 06:59 AM

While a 10 may be enough, I prefer a 20 tall minimun. I think this gives adult frogs more space.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:05 PM

A 10 gallon vertical will not give enough floor space for the auratus. Even a 10 gallon horizontal becomes a bit cramped as a pair of auratus reach maturity. Auratus will clamber up into the foliage and use the vertical space to a certain degree but in general tend to stay closer to the ground.

The suggestion of the 20 high is a good one because it gives you more vertical space for planting plus a good amount of floor space.

You will also find that cramming a water feature into a smaller viv isn't trivial but there are people who have been successful.

Bob Williams (rbrighstone on the board) probably has the most experience in the Indy area with using orchids in frog vivs so you might want to talk to him if you have not already done so.

Good luck...both with the new job and with the new viv!

Bill

Old 07-15-2007, 04:24 PM

I keep four D. Auratus in an almost 30 gal with no prob. and they do stay mostly on the ground i hardly ever see them climb, but they will just not all that much.