Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2004, 09:02 PM

Default sexing and my cobalt

i know this topic has come up like a hundred times but im tired of looking for it. how big are the frogs when you can sex them? all but one of my frogs are an inch and if i was going by the toe thing id say i lucked out with all males so far. heres one pic

also do some darts have less of a vestigial tail region? my cobalt looks like he has no point at his tail end like my others. see?

and my final question.. do you guys mist even if you have 100 % humidity. i havent misted for a while now and i was just wondering how big of a deal it is if you dont mist everyday with that much misting.
thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2004, 09:18 PM

I'm starting to get the feeling on tincs the front toepad is larger than the rear toe pad *period* However the difference is greater in the males than the females. I was convinced I had 3 males up until a 2-3 weeks ago, when I saw two frogs "stroking eachother" and in the past 2-3 days witnessed some aggression between 2. I bought my frogs almost exactly a year ago... so I'm guessing they are in between 13-15 months old. I'd watch their behaviors.

-Tad
Old 09-06-2004, 10:42 PM

Female tincs have large toepads, their bigger than their rear toepads. but on males they are huge, they are like big snowshoes. K2 I would say by that first pic it is a female.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:25 PM

well it still pretty young so i guess ill just wait and see. anyone know on my other two questions yet?
Old 09-06-2004, 11:31 PM

My tanks, with waterfallls I maybe mist once a week, the tanks with out water features I try to mist more often, but as long as you have it sealed fairly well, and the substrate is moist, I think you should be fine.

-Tad
Old 09-07-2004, 06:27 PM

I agree with Tad, all the tinc I have seen have bigger front toe pads then rear toe pads regardless of the sex, males are just bigger then females when they reach breeding age. Your are still too young to tell what they will turn out to be. At around a year old look at the body shape the girls get bigger and more round and the boys smaller bodied and then have the bigger front toepads with almost a bi-lobed look to them.

My terrariums stay at about 80-90% humidity. I mist the terrariums when I feed them and the frogs have come to associate the two. So everytime it is misted, I have frogs appear from out of the woodwork looking for food falling from the sky. It's a pretty cool trick. So do you need to mist them if your humidity is that high? Probably not if you have a water dish they can soak in when they but it's fun to when you have them trained to think it's the dinner bell.