Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2007, 01:20 AM

Default A few questions

1. how / what do you feed your frogs?
2. How do you find / feed your frogs in a large tank?
3. do you need to mist your plants if you use a humidifier?
4. when creating a water feature how do you do it ?
5. how much lighting would i need for a 55 gallon ?
6.what type of cover should i use on my 55 gallon ?
7. what type of substrate s best to use with a false bottom?
8. do you use normal window screen mesh to stop the substrate from falling to the bottom of the false bottom?
9.should i keep my 55 gallon simple and use a pump under the false bottom instead of drilling the back of it for a sump ?
10. should i start with such a big tank(55 gal) or go smaller?
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2007, 01:36 AM

before someone comes on here and burns you: I will let you know that these questions get asked a lot. If you use the search feature at the top of the page you can answer all of these questions and pick up some extra knowledge along the way. Good luck
Old 02-19-2007, 02:05 AM

As stated above a search will answer most of those questions. Spend some time looking around in the Beginners Discussion and Members Frogs And Vivs sections. You'll find a lot of helpful info in there.

If you're interested in making a viv a 55 gallon would work great. Most beginners start with smaller tanks but if you have the space and the extra money, there's no reason you shouldn't use it.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:47 AM

I would suggest using a smaller tank if it is your first. Research all the types of tanks and what is best for the frogs you are going to get first. Each frog has diff. requirements and if you read, read read... you will be better off. 10 gal. tanks are good because there is less space for your frogs to hide. You can watch them easily to see how they are doing. Just to make sure you are doing your job good. Not to be rude, but research and read a lot before you obtain your first frogs. You will be thankful for all the reading you did in the long run......Sara
Old 02-19-2007, 02:54 AM
TWI/ASN

Cliff notes answers since it would take hours to detail everything and you'd be better off spending that hour searching/reading the beginner threads (that's where I spend all my time...)

1. Fruit Flies. Master culturing before you get frogs...
http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewt ... ruit+flies

2. Most people will have a spot where they dump the flies. The frogs will get used to it and meet you there, no matter how big the tank.

3. Over my head, since I just mist (baby steps for me).

4. No simple answer here. Pumps are an easy way to start and save you from drilling, but mine seem to slow down over time and you have to deal with siphoning water every otehr week. I wish I had drilled. As for the waterfall itself look at different construction journals...

http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewt ... nstruction

5. Don't know. Light is mainly for the plants, so you'll need something strong enough to help them flourish. The only thing you need to be careful re the frogs is that the light can't burn too hot. Temp is very important, and the wrong light can create a little oven.
http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewt ... ng++gallon

6. Glass.

7. http://dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16612

8. Yep. the fiberglass stuff you buy at home depot will work fine..

9. If you use a pump, make sure it's accessible so when it slows down you can fix it.

10. My first tank was a 10 gallon that I screwed up. If it was a 55 gallon it would have taken 5.5 times as long, cost 5.5 times as much etc. Just me, but I'd start small.

Good luck. I agree with Sara, read as much as you can, this is a great resource.

A few frogs
Old 02-19-2007, 03:01 AM

1# Most of us feed our frogs Fruit Flies.
2# Just toss Fruit Flies in. Make sure you put in more then they will eat, because they can't find all of them, your frogs should come out to eat.
3# I am not sure, but I would mist them randomly anyway, I don't think you would need a humidifier and a misting system.
4# There are a pile of different ways to make water features, just look through pics of peoples viv's and choose what type you like, then ask how to make that type, or try to find how someone made one that looks like it.
5# It depends on what types of plants you have, some plants like low light, some like high light.
6# Not sure about this question, it depends on how you have your tank is set up.
7# I'm not sure, look through the construction and parts posts, you will find the answer.
8#I would use something finer then that.
9# I would just go with a pump in the false bottom for now.
10# a 55 gallon tank should be just fine, it will be more expancive then a 20 gallon, and more spots to mess up. But if you have it I would use it.

I hope this helps you out, feel free to ask any other questions that you have, Curt.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:41 PM

Thanks alot for all your help I did use the search function for some of my questions but theres so many threads to read through thats why i asked here.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:45 PM

No problem, some people get tired of new PDF owners asking the same questions over and over, thats why they refer you to the search. If you have any other questions feel free to ask them.

Curt.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:04 AM

Because I got personal answers when starting out, here's my opinions and experiences:

1. Fruit flies, dusted with vitamins. Rep-cal and Herptivite are a successful combination. You need D3 in the mix. Dendrocare is another one I've tried and have no complaints. It's also nice to keep a springtail culture, and even seed your tank with them ahead of time.

2. I scatter the flies, because some frogs are more shy than others about pigging out. You can concentrate them in one area by putting in a slice of orange.

3. I mist only. In some tanks that have drip walls or wide falls and stay more humid, I rarely even mist.

4. There are truly so many ways to do a water feature, no two exactly alike, that you really have to use your own imagination and inventive powers with this, or search around to see what others have done. I have never done any two water features exactly alike.

5. A 6500K double 20W fluorescent or single 40W fluorescent aquarium hood will do the job for most plants except the blooming orchids, and won't be strong enough to keep most bromeliads colorful unless they are right at the top. But most tropical green plants that are suitable for a small vivarium will do just fine.

6. Hinged glass. I use the hinged glass lids that have the plastic back flaps in the rear that fit the aquarium top tightly. The plastic can be cut out for pump wiring, etc., then taped over so the frogs can't lift it to escape.

7. You can use almost any organic compost that doesn't contain fertilizers, insecticides, vermiculite or Perlite. I like a combination of organic compost (or organic "jungle mix") coconut fiber, long brown sphagnum moss, and it's always nice to have a top layer of oak leaf litter, or magnolia leaf litter.

8. I like weed cloth for the barrier between the substrate and false bottom. It lasts a long time and filters out the very fine particles.

9. I put my pumps in a corner water feature, depending upon the design, and simply hide their presence with some smooth rock. Keep them accessible, because they do sometimes and need repairing or impeller replacement. This way, you can also easily check them for clogging occasionally and remove the crud from the intake.

10. My opinion only, but the bigger the better. I started out with a 135 gallon paludarium with 2 water falls, a river run, fish and frogs, and it's still my most successful tank after 8 years. I didn't know dip about it when I started, either. So never be afraid of using your imagination and inventing stuff on your own.

Good luck with this, and above all, have fun doing it. It's a great hobby.

Advice is like kissing: it costs nothing and it's a pleasant thing to do. (George Bernard Shaw)
Old 02-20-2007, 02:10 AM
Administrator

Some good places to start:
http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16075

For more specifics:
http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=21
Old 02-20-2007, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the link kyle i didn't know that the care sheet section had all those stickys